- Teaches students:
- Ages 4+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
My name is Liana, and I am a freelance double bassist and music instructor. I have been playing music for nearly my entire life, starting on piano at the age of five and moving on to learn other instruments as the years progressed. I have performed with various orchestras, chamber groups, musical theater pit ensembles, jazz big bands and combos, and more.
I have collaborated with artists such as John Clayton; Wayne Wallace; Mic Gillette and Lenny Williams (of "Tower of Power"); and many more. I have also performed at the Monterey Jazz Festival, the Montreaux Jazz Festival, the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House, the Valley Performing Arts Center, on the Battleship USS Iowa, and at Yoshi's Jazz Club in Oakland, CA.
I have served as principal bassist with the CSUN Symphony and the Dragon Singers Orchestra, and as substitute principal bassist of the Westlake Village Symphony. I have also performed as a member of the CSUN Jazz "C" Band on double bass; the Jazzschool Studio Band on double bass; Tenth Muse on double bass, vocals, and ukulele; as a founding member of the band Polyhymnia on electric bass; and on ukulele with the band Noble Creatures.
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I studied under Pat Klobas, Karen Zimmerman, Cory Antipa, and Thomas Goss. My further studies continued in Los Angeles under Oscar Meza and Gary Pratt. I received my B.A. in Music Breadth Studies from California State University, Northridge in 2016.
All lessons are incredibly flexible and are tailored to each student's needs, abilities, and goals. Do you have a book you've already been working from and want to continue with? Great! Do you not like working from a book at all? Also great! I am by no means strict, but together we will work hard to you craft your technique to maximize your potential!
PLEASE NOTE: I do unfortunately deal with chronic abdominal pain that has its ups and downs, so there are times that I will need to reschedule and/or cancel lessons on relatively short notice. If you are looking for strict consistency, I may not be the teacher for you; however, if you are willing and able to be flexible, I can be just as flexible as you are.
I look forward to the possibility of meeting and working with you!
• Private Music Instructor: Upright & Electric Bass, Ukulele, & Piano, 2006-Present
• Guest Lecturer: California State University, Northridge (CSUN) Music Entrepreneurship (MUS 485ME), Spring 2016
• Cello Coach: CSUN Youth Orchestras, Spring 2014
• Intern/Mentor: Jazzschool Girls' Jazz and Blues Camp - Berkeley, CA, August 2009
• Intern/Mentor: Jazzschool Summer Jazz Camp - Berkeley, CA, June 2009
• Drum Major: Gaucho Marching Band - El Cerrito, CA, 2008-2009
- Assistant Drum Major, 2007-2008
• Westlake Village Symphony
- Substitute Principal Bassist, December 2014
- Assistant Principal Bassist, December 2015
• CSUN Symphony: Bassist, 2009-2014
- Bass Section Principal: 2012, 2014
- Assistant Principal, 2010-2012
• American Youth Symphony: Substitute Bassist, 2011-2012
• CSUN Jazz "B" Combos, 2009-2010
• CSUN Jazz "C" Band, Fall 2009
• Jazzschool Studio Band: Bassist, 2007-2009
• Dragon Singer's Orchestra: Bassist, 2008
- Bass Section Principal
• "Sweeney Todd" Pit Ensemble: Upright Bass, CSUN, Spring 2014
• "The Last Five Years" Pit Ensemble: Electric Bass, CSUN, Fall 2013
• "Forever Plaid", Upright Bass/"Uncle Chester": The Conejo Players, Summer 2013
• "Ragtime" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: CSUN, Spring 2013
• "The King And I" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: Hillcrest Players YAE, Fall 2012
• "Cabaret" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: CSUN, Spring 2011
• "Into The Woods" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: CSUN, Spring 2010
• Etude Music Club Endowment: Etude Music Club, Cal. State Northridge, 2014
• Outstanding Soloist: Reno Jazz Festival, 2006, 2007, 2008
• Outstanding Soloist: California State University East Bay Jazz Festival, 2008
• Maestro Award: Heritage Jazz Festival, 2007
• Vice President, Board of Directors: Westlake Village Symphony, June 2016 - April 2017
• Development Director: Westlake Village Symphony, April-November 2016
• Social Media Program Development Intern: Conejo Valley Youth Orchestras, August-November 2015
• Performer (Bass, Vocals, and Ukulele): Tenth Muse, 2013-2014
• Mentor & Bassist: School of Rock Camp - Wellington, New Zealand, December 2006
• Bass Coach: Cazadero Music Camp, Summer 2006
• Oscar Meza: Assistant Principal Bassist, Los Angeles Philharmonic
• Gary Pratt: Director of Jazz Studies, California State University, Northridge
• Pat Klobas: Double Bass Instructor/Lecturer, California State University, East Bay
• Karen Zimmerman: Double Bassist, Santa Rosa Symphony
• Cory Antipa: Cellist, Santa Rosa Symphony
• Thomas Goss: Pianist, Composer, and Orchestrator
My son Jourdan just had his first on line lesson today with electric bass and upright bass. He was so impressed with her style and vibe. Can't wait for the next lesson.
Great lesson as always, but the connection was wonky. The stop/start/refresh wasn't ideal. Thanks for adding some time at the end to adjust for that!
She is amazing! She explains everything easily so I can understand! Liana is great!
Liana is working with my daughter. She absolutely loved her first lesson. Highly recommend.
Awesome first lesson! Thank you, looking forward to my next lesson!
Liana is a terrific teacher and we are very fortunate to have her as an instructor for our daughter. She's very patient, encouraging, and is turning the music light on in our daughter. Also, she goes above and beyond with communication and support. Thank you Liana!+ Read More
My son absolutely loves taking classes from this instructor. She makes learning fun. He looks forward to his lesson each week.
My son absolutely loved it and is looking forward to more lessons.
Emily continues to love her lessons! Three lessons in and beginning a "melody song" - you made her day. Great lesson Liana, thank you so much!
She was very helpful and nice with her teaching
Wonderful first lesson, excellent work with children!
Liana is nice and knows her stuff.
Liana is a great teacher! She makes leaning easy and fun!
Liana is enthusiastic,encouraging and very knowledgeable. She kept the lesson moving at a great pace and was super fun!
Liana has been great teaching and working with my 8 yr old grandson!!
So great with my young children!
My daughter has enjoyed her first lesson with Liana tremendously and is already looking forward to the next one. Liana was both kind and attentive. My daughter has found her lesson exciting and useful.
I really like Liana's style. We got through so much in the first lesson! I have much to learn and excited about the lessons.
I have had a wonderful experience taking ukulele lessons from Liana! She has a patient personality along with a wide knowledge of music. She has the ability to listen and understand where I am at in my learning curve and adjust the lessons to my skill level. I would highly recommend Liana as your next music teacher!+ Read More
She knows her stuff and gets right to the point of what I needed.