My name is Liana, and I am a freelance double bassist and music instructor working in the Greater Los Angeles Area. I have been playing music for nearly my entire life, starting on piano at the age of five and moving on to learn other instruments as the years progressed. I have performed with various orchestras, chamber groups, musical theater pit ensembles, jazz big bands and combos, on studio recording sessions, and more. I currently work as the Orchestra Manager and Music Librarian and serve as the Vice President of the Board of Directors for the Westlake Village Symphony.
I have collaborated with artists such as John Clayton; Wayne Wallace; Mic Gillette and Lenny Williams (of "Tower of Power"; and many more. I have also performed at the Monterey Jazz Festival, the Montreaux Jazz Festival, the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House, the Valley Performing Arts Center, on the Battleship USS Iowa, and at Yoshi's Jazz Club in Oakland, CA.
I have served as principal bassist with the CSUN Symphony and the Dragon Singers Orchestra, and as substitute principal bassist of the Westlake Village Symphony. I have also performed as a member of the CSUN Jazz "C" Band on double bass; the Jazzschool Studio Band on double bass; Tenth Muse on double bass, vocals, and ukulele; as a founding member of the band Polyhymnia on electric bass; and on ukulele with the band Noble Creatures.
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I studied under Pat Klobas. My further studies continued in Los Angeles under Oscar Meza and Gary Pratt. I received my B.A. in Music Breadth Studies with a focus in Music Administration from California State University, Northridge in 2016.
All lessons are incredibly flexible and are tailored to the students' needs, abilities, and goals! If you have a book you've already been working from and want to continue with, great! If you don't like working from a book at all, also great! I am by no means strict, but together we will work hard to you craft your technique to maximize your potential!
I look forward to the possibility of meeting and working with you!
• Private Music Instructor (Upright & Electric Bass, Ukulele, & Piano), 2006-Present
• Guest Lecturer: California State University, Northridge (CSUN) Music Entrepreneurship (MUS 485ME), Spring 2016
• Cello Coach: CSUN Youth Orchestras, Spring 2014
• Intern/Mentor: Jazzschool Jazz and Blues Camp - Berkeley, CA, August 2009
• Intern/Mentor: Jazzschool Summer Jazz Camp - Berkeley, CA, June 2009
• Drum Major: Gaucho Marching Band - El Cerrito, CA, 2008-2009
• Westlake Village Symphony
- Substitute Principal Bassist, December 2014
- Assistant Principal Bassist, December 2015
• CSUN Symphony: Bassist, 2009-2014
- Bass Section Principal: 2012, 2014
- Assistant Principal, 2010-2012
• American Youth Symphony: Substitute Bassist, 2011-2012
• CSUN Jazz "B" Combos, 2009-2010
• CSUN Jazz "C" Band, Fall 2009
• Jazzschool Studio Band: Bassist, 2007-2009
• Dragon Singer's Orchestra: Bassist, 2008
- Bass Section Principal
• "Sweeney Todd" Pit Ensemble: Upright Bass, CSUN, Spring 2014
• "The Last Five Years" Pit Ensemble: Electric Bass, CSUN, Fall 2013
• "Forever Plaid", Upright Bass/"Uncle Chester": The Conejo Players, Summer 2013
• "Ragtime" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: CSUN, Spring 2013
• "The King And I" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: Hillcrest Players YAE, Fall 2012
• "Cabaret" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: CSUN, Spring 2011
• "Into The Woods" Pit Ensemble, Upright Bass: CSUN, Spring 2010
• Etude Music Club Endowment: Etude Music Club, Cal. State
• Outstanding Soloist: Reno Jazz Festival, 2006, 2007, 2008
• Outstanding Soloist: California State University East Bay Jazz Festival, 2008
• Maestro Award: Heritage Jazz Festival, 2007
• Vice President, Board of Directors: Westlake Village Symphony, June 2016-present
• Development Director: Westlake Village Symphony, April-November 2016
• Social Media Program Development Intern: Conejo Valley Youth Orchestras, August-November 2015
• Performer, Bassist: Tenth Muse, 2013-2014
• Mentor & Bassist: School of Rock Camp - Wellington, New Zealand, December 2006
• Bass Coach: Cazadero Music Camp, Summer 2006
• Oscar Meza: Assistant Principal Bassist, Los Angeles Philharmonic
• Gary Pratt: Director of Jazz Studies, California State University, Northridge
• Pat Klobas: Double Bass Instructor/Lecturer, California State University, East Bay
Westlake Village Symphony is a nonprofit orchestra comprised of community members and local music professionals with a common goal of providing exposure to the arts through concerts and educational programs.
· Bass Guitar · Online Awesome first lesson! Thank you, looking forward to my next lesson!
· Upright Bass · Online
· Ukulele · Online Liana is a terrific teacher and we are very fortunate to have her as an instructor for our daughter. She's very patient, encouraging, and is turning the music light on in our daughter. Also, she goes above and beyond with communication and support. Thank you Liana!
· Ukulele · Online super helpful
· Ukulele · Online My son absolutely loves taking classes from this instructor. She makes learning fun. He looks forward to his lesson each week.
· Ukulele · Online My son absolutely loved it and is looking forward to more lessons.
· Ukulele · Online Emily continues to love her lessons! Three lessons in and beginning a "melody song" - you made her day. Great lesson Liana, thank you so much!
· Ukulele · Online She was very helpful and nice with her teaching
· Ukulele · Online Wonderful first lesson, excellent work with children!
· Bass Guitar · In home Liana is nice and knows her stuff.