I began my classical training in both piano and harp at a young age. As I progressed, I began studying piano, music theory, music history, and collaborative piano at the Pennsylvania Academy of Music for five years. I then earned my Bachelor's Degree in Piano Performance with a Harp Minor at Houghton College, New York. I taught both instruments during those four years while continuing accompaniment work. Following schooling, I moved to North Carolina where I taught over 60 students ages 4-65 at Cary School of Music for over two years.
While most of my training is in the Classical field, I have a strong passion for contemporary music as well. I believe that both piano and harp have the ability to reach many different audiences. As a teacher, I believe in giving my students a strong Classical foundation while using the technique and theory to delve into other styles of music such as jazz and contemporary pop. With this instruction, each student will be able to find what music inspires them while having the skills to further that style.
For over two years, I worked at a private school of music where I had over sixty students with ages ranging from 4-65.
Certified to teach in state public schools
· Harp · In home Laura is just wonderful ! She has a high level of expertise coupled with enthusiasm. I enjoyed my lesson with her immensely. Thanks.
· Piano · In home Laura made me feel completely at ease, and gave me the belief that I can do this!
· Piano · In studio Laura was my daughter’s piano teacher for 2 years at Cary School of Music. Overall, she is just an amazing teacher. Laura is very knowledgeable and always very positive; she can handle all challenges that come up teaching kids; hence, she is extremely well with kids. She knows how to challenge the kids at the right pace and still make the lessons fun. My daughter describes her “fun, friendly, and kind.” My daughter has had five piano teachers so far, and Laura has been the best!!
· Piano · In studio Laura is an awesome awesome piano teacher. Both my son and I took lessons from her. She is great with kids. She is super knowledgeable and creative with her teaching styles. She is one of the most positive person to be around. She is always happy and in a good mood. This goes a long way when you are teaching kids. She encourages you to advance to the next level without seeming to be pushy. What can I say.....THE BEST PIANO TEACHER EVER!!!
· Piano · In studio Laura was a teacher at the best music school in the Chapel Hill Raleigh Durham NC area beforing moving to California. An accomplished pianist and composer in her own right, she is an extraordinary teacher for all ages.. Within a few months, Laura became in high demand, we students flocking to her studio! Friendly and personable she is able to inspire students to reach further than they ever imagined!