My name is Kristen B. I am a private voice instructor in the San Diego area. I work from my home studio with students of all ages. I am a graduate of Westminster Choir College, which has a world-renowned music program. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Music, Voice Primary, Piano Secondary. I also have obtained my Masters in Music Education from Boston University. I have extensively studied vocal technique, music theory, and music teaching, and have been trained in Classical, Musical Theater, and Popular music styles.
I was previously a member of the Westminster Symphonic Choir (2008-2010). I have sung in many professional venues in New York including Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center. In Philadelphia I have sung at the Kimmel Center. In California I have sung at Copley Symphony Hall.
I am a member of the San Diego Master Chorale, which performs frequently with the San Diego Symphony Orchestra. I also cantor at St. Therese of Carmel Catholic church and perform weekly with the choir.
I teach students not only how to sing, but also how to perform. This will benefit all students who are looking to audition for a musical, or are interested in performing in front of an audience.
I also teach students how to read music and understand basic music theory. This will benefit students who want to further their musical knowledge.
I believe that it is important for music students to learn how to be true musicians. For this reason I have created a student centered curriculum that includes a variety of learning objectives including: vocal and breathing technique, improvisation, listening and interpreting, student song selection, performance, music theory, and community musical involvement.
*** Lesson Details ***
All students who work with me have their own personalized lesson plans. Together we work towards achieving the student's individual goals. I teach my students the skills to become successful musicians. Students then use these skills in practice at home.
I believe that healthy singing is the most important thing for students to learn. I teach students proper breathing techniques along with healthy vocal practices. Each lesson will start with a warm up. These warm ups will help strengthen the voice so it does not become injured or strained.
I also believe that it is important for singers to know how to read sheet music and to know a bit about musical theory. For students who do not know how to read music, part of the lesson will be devoted to learning musical theory. This is important for home practice, and for furthering musical knowledge.
San Diego Branch
Certificate of Merit Certified for Voice.
Music Technology Certification
· Singing · In studio Kristen is SO helpful. I've only taken a few classes so far and my vocal abilities and confidence behind a microphone have improved drastically. I started singing late -- at age 27 -- and without much instruction so it has been a difficult process on a steep learning curve so far (the past two years). Kristen punts me farther up that curve every time we meet :).
She is structured but not rigid, super knowledgeable and very professional. Highly recommend her!
· Opera Voice · In studio Emily has made great strides in singing! Thanks Kristen!
· · Vocal Lesson
My son was nervous before he get lesson,but after the lesson he said he had fun, and he can't wait for the next lesson.
· · My daughter has improved a lot & really likes Kristen. "Kristen is one of the best teachers I've had".
· · On track & moving forward
Kristen is wonderful. She explains techniques clearly, has patience, & is organized in what she's going to teach me next. She keeps me on track & moving forward.
· · I enjoy taking lessons from Kristen, she is knowledgable and supportive.
· · Kristen is very patient & is able to meet the client where she is at. She sometimes has difficulty explaining things in 7yo language, but the message eventually gets through-just takes a little longer. :)