- Levels Taught:
I taught myself how to play acoustic guitar a summer ago and I'd love to show you the ropes from my own experience! I'll teach you the basics of chord making and strumming, after which you can pretty much play anything you'd like.
- Teaches students:
- Ages 3+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
I'm a student biologist, chemist, writer, violist, violinist, pianist, guitarist, and music arranger (not usually at the same time). I primarily play viola in symphony orchestras and chamber ensembles; occasionally I'll jump to violin in pit orchestra productions for musicals. I'm currently pursuing a major in Molecular Biology and a minor in Music. I've had an effusive passion for learning and an ineffable desire to share it with others for as long as I can remember. I hope to go into science education after graduate school, while still maintaining my strong ties to the music programs I'm fortunate to be around.
- m u s i c -
Subjects taught: viola, violin, piano, arrangement & orchestration
- Youth Music Monterey Honors Orchestra, principal violist (2017-2019)
- Carmel High School Orchestra, principal violist (2016-2019)
- Carmel High School Pit Orchestra, violinist (2018-2019)
- Sandpiper String Quartet/Trio, violist (2018)
- Youth Music Monterey Orchestras, volunteer violist (2018-present)
Honors and Awards:
- Carmel High School Orchestra Most Inspirational, Outstanding Achievement (2019)
- Youth Music Monterey Pam and Chuck McGowin Award for Outstanding Contributions (2019)
- Central Coast Section Honors Orchestra (2018, 2019)
- California Orchestra Directors' Association Honors Orchestra (2017, 2018)
Recently, I was named Most Inspirational and given an Outstanding Achievement award for my work in my school's music program. I was incredibly lucky to be able to arrange and orchestrate 'Ripple' for the string orchestra, in honor of a late teacher. For the same teacher, I later arranged five more campy 70s tunes--among which were Mr. Blue Sky and September--for a benefit concert that I helped lead.
I'm unfortunately unable to give advice to advanced students, since I'm always learning myself. However, if you're just starting out on the viola or violin, I'd love to teach you using what I've learned! The memories of my own journey are fresh for me, and I know it can sometimes be discouraging or aimless. My goal is to guide you towards the blinding light at the end of the tunnel and to help you out of whatever plateau you're in, whether you're in a transition period to a higher-level orchestra or if you don't know where to start putting your fingers.
- a c a d e m i c s -
Subjects taught: biology (AP), chemistry (AP), language arts (AP), literature (AP), US history (AP), psychology (AP)
- AP Biology (5), AP Chemistry (5), AP English Literature (5), AP US History (5), AP Psychology (5), AP English Language (4), SAT Chemistry (770), SAT Literature (800)
Honors and Awards:
- Carmel High Top Science Student (2019)
- Rotary STEM Scholar (2019)
- Carmel Valley Women's Club Scholar (2019)
- National AP Scholar, AP Scholar with Distinction/Honor (2018, 2019)
Tutoring middle school and freshmen students from the local youth orchestra, leading them through the season's repertoire, and building confidence in their parts.
Great experience! Learned alot.