Greetings! My name is Kelly and I have been teaching voice and piano since 1991.
My training in voice/singing/performance/Voice Movement Therapy has been extensive and multi-faceted as has my own performance experience. This has enabled me to successfully guide/mentor students who are not only singers of classical, musical theater, pop, folk, and jazz, but also people who use their speaking voices to teach, present and act.
My teaching approach is more holistic in that it not only addresses the technical and physical influences that affect the singing/speaking process, but also the emotional and psychological influences.
I work with ANYONE who wishes to vocally express themselves more freely and authentically, including those who consider themselves to be tone-deaf.
While voice is my primary instrument, I also teach piano to those who wish to learn to read music and those who would rather learn chords.
Teach individuals and groups Voice Movement Therapy. VMT is for anyone wishing to sing or vocally express themselves in a freer, more healthful, expressive and confident manner.
Teach private and group lessons in voice, music fundamentals, performance. Teach private lessons in piano.
Sang supporting roles, in choral ensembles in several operas with the Intermountain Opera Company, Bozeman Symphony, and Bozeman Symphonic Choir, as well as in recitals, weddings, memorial services and in coffee houses.
Taught classes in world music and vocal pedagogy
Served as an evaluator, judge, and master clinician for high school, college and adult level singing competitions.
The voice is the only musical instrument that is housed entirely in the human body. It is an important form of human expression. Virtually everything that happens to a person and their response, be it physical, emotional, or psychic, affects vocal expression.
Voice Movement Therapy (VMT) is an expressive arts therapy, used to help individuals explore the self, free up and enhance vocal expression. This is accomplished through exploration of the voice, movement, creative visualization, breath work, song, improvisation, and the use of VMT massage, which helps to facilitate muscular release for breathing and vocal production.
VMT can invite self-awareness, the healing of old wounds, and rejuvenation of spirit. It is a holistic way of learning how to sing and/or speak more and expressively by connecting one to their core.
Certified in Holistic Health - multiple modalities (accupressure, Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, hydrotherapy, reflexology, nutrition)
Certified aromatherapist - developed hydro-aromatherapy treatment and custom essential oil blends.
· Voice Acting · In studio My son loves working with Kelly and looks forward to his voice acting lesson every week. I highly recommend her!
· Singing · In home Great instructor! I have enjoyed every class with Kelly and would recommend her to others. Thank you.
· Singing · In home Kelly is great, very patient and has a way of explaining techniques that are easy to understand.
· Singing · In home Personable and interesting! I am very much looking forward to my next lesson.
· Singing · In home Kelly is such a good teacher. She is sensitive and empathic as she provides the information needed to introduce this old woman to the mysteries of breathing and singing. It amazes me!
· Vocal Training · In studio I've never seen someone so knowledgeable about singing. She is a wealth of knowledge and can translate it very well.
· Singing · In studio I initially selected Kelly as my singing teacher because of her extensive academic credentials and personal singing career. Since taking lessons with her for over 7 months, I have come to really appreciate her non-judgemental attitude and approach to teaching, as well as her creativity, thoughtfulness and insight.
My initial reason for taking singing lessons was to develop my voice to hopefully bring singing back into my life, which had been a real source of joy for me in my "younger days".
After only 3 months of working with her, I had an opportunity to do some public speaking and was quite surprised at how confidant I felt and how well my voice carried into the crowd, a marked improvement from previous public speaking experiences I have had. After 6 months of lessons, I was able to sing solo in public for the first time in my life with real success.
I look forward to working more with Kelly and her techniques to continue to develop my voice and my range of singing experiences and opportunities. I highly recommend her as a singing teacher. Above and beyond her expertise in the realm of singing and voice work, she makes every lesson pleasurable and fun!
· Jazz Voice · In studio I am a new vocal student who has studied with Kelly for the last year. I am the piano player in a vocal jazz group with an excellent woman singer and I wanted to become a better singer when I perform with our group.
Kelly has been excellent in helping me understand singing and to learn good traits when I sing. She has solid grasp of the mechanics of singing and how to unlock my personal singing voice. She does this is a professional manner.
As a person who plays the saxophone and piano, I have taken music lessons over the years from various teachers and I have found Kelly to be a great instructor. She seeks to understand what my goals are, understand how I learn best and uses her abilities and experience to help me make myself a better singer.
I recommend Kelly without reservation.
· · I have taken two classes with Kelly through Ann Arbor Rec&Ed and both were great experiences. Kelly is a patient, kind, and fun teacher. She did an excellent job going over the fundamentals, and I learned a great deal in both of her classes. I especially appreciated the helpful feedback she gave me--it definitely made me more aware of those areas I need to work on. I would highly recommend her.
· Singing · In studio Kelly is a very supportive, knowledgeable, fun and gentle singing coach/teacher. She has many talents and a diverse background which allows her to work with students in a very comprehensive and holistic way. I have worked with other singing teachers and Kelly's working knowledge of the physical body far exceeds my previous teachers. I really enjoy taking lessons with Kelly.