I took piano lessons as a child and my passion for music blossomed. I have been playing for over 30 years. I have always loved writing my own songs, and finally recorded a CD of original contemporary piano. I started teaching piano in 2007, and I am passionate about teaching my students proper techniques and concepts correctly so they will become proficient at reading and playing music. I have always connected easily with children and consider myself very fortunate to be able to teach the joys of music to children of all ages! I have a Bachelor's degree in Communications, I performed as a member of a local college orchestra for 2 years, where I played second string violin and piano. I also have performed drama on stage. From 2011-2013 I have taught music classes to kindergarteners up to sixth graders at a local private elementary school. I am a member of Music Teachers National Association (MTNA), and California Association of Professional Music Teachers (CAPMT).
*** Lesson Details ***
Poorly taught lessons do more damage. Improperly trained students will often have to start back at the beginning to undo bad habits. Why not teach them right the first time? I specialize in teaching beginning students in a fun learning environment. No two students are alike, and everyone learns at a different pace. I cater to your child and will find the best way to encourage them to learn. Your child will learn how to read and play written music proficiently, while learning the proper techniques and concepts correctly the first time. I focus half my lesson time on music theory, and I use fun music apps on my iPad to reinforce note recognition, rhythm counting, and many other fundamental music concepts.
I am a member of Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) and the California Association of Professional Music Teachers (CAPMT).
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living room, grand piano, upright digital full keyboard piano, patio for parents to wait.
*** Specialties ***
I like to incorporate discovery learning and step-by-step teaching methodology in my lessons, where I help the student arrive at the answers on their own, thus improving the process of concept retention, and building their confidence. My focus is mostly on building a strong musical foundation where my students will learn to read and play written music proficiently.
Taught my own music class with original curriculum to Kindergartners up through sixth graders during summer camps and Academy classes. Also assisted teachers with daily lesson plans and supervised children.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · In studio Kecia is respectful that I am a adult beginning student with other demands on my time. She is very supportive and patient with me. I would highly recommend Kecia to anyone who plans to take lessons in the area. Her studio is conveniently located in old Elk Grove.
· Piano · In home Great Experience and had lots of fun! Thanks so much!
· Piano · In studio Our granddaughter has been taking lessons from Kecia now 8 months or so and just loves it. Kecia is very helpful and has a wonderful positive attitude.
We just love the outcome it has been on Haley!
· Piano · In studio Kecia is a very upbeat person with patience. Haley is learning so much from her and just enjoys the piano. Thank you Kecia for all you do for Haley!
· · Ms.kecia is a wonderful teacher.She is very patience with my son, Jason. He always got a good time in his lessons with Ms.Kecia.
· · Ms Kecia T. is a wonderful teacher. She is very patience with our son, Joshua. We're glad to have found her.
· · Fabulous Intructor!
Isabella is having a wonderful time in her lessons with Kecia. Kecia keeps the lessons fun and intersting. Isabella is learning to understand what she is playing with theory and note recognition.
· · Mother of student
Kecia has been an excellent teacher.. Her patience and ability to make my son feel good about learning piano is wonderful.
· · Great Teacher
My son is motivated by this teacher's enthusiasm and understanding on the choices and styles of music. She's understanding and really connects with the student.