- Levels Taught:
- Elementary, Middle School, High School
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+
- Teaching since:
GENERAL: I enjoy getting to know my students and their specific interests and quirks, and incorporating those into lessons to help folks better connect with and get excited about the material. I specialize in confidence-building and will be with you every step of the way as you not only gain skills, but perhaps face and overcome some emotional barriers or frustrations. I like to make lessons playful, fun, and relevant to how you want to use these tools in the world.
SINGING AND MUSIC LESSONS: In addition to providing technical training, I believe that singing is about liberation and expression, and have had successes in helping students to find their unique voices through overcoming vocal anxieties. I both work with students who are preparing for auditions and who play in professional bands, and also with students who have only ever sung in the shower and just want to get more comfortable using their own voice for fun. I also specialize in teaching music theory (including how to read music, rhythm practice, and harmony), playing an instrument and singing at the same time, and songwriting coaching. I degree in music from Brown University, have been a professional, performing musician for 12 years, and have been teaching private lessons and classes for 8 years.
For those in bands: I specialize in harmony and can do consultation sessions with you and/or your band to help with blending, finding harmonies that work for your respective vocal ranges and for the flow of the song, and teaching skills for finding and building harmonies.
MATH: As a middle and high school student, I didn't believe I was "good" at math. It wasn't until I was an adult and was hired as a math tutor - and later promoted to Assistant Director - of a tutoring company that I realized that was a belief that had held me back. Many kids and young adults struggle with confidence around math, and having had experience with that myself I use tools that help meet students where they're at and support them in building enthusiasm for math and confidence in themselves. In addition to providing tangible math skills (I have not only been tutoring Algebra, Geometry, SAT prep, elementary and middle school math for 5 years, but have also helped run a math tutoring company in which I built year-long curricula for grades K-12), I help students feel that math is within their grasp and can be approached with curiosity rather than fear and low self-esteem.
- Provide private instruction in voice and piano performance to students of all ages
- Provide private math and SAT tutoring to students grades K-12
- Develop a therapeutic approach for those with psychological blocks, self-esteem or confidence issues around using their voices, or their abilities in math
- Develop curricula appropriate for each individual student’s learning needs and interests
- Perform professionally in various bands and groups at events, parties, fundraisers, and retirement homes
- Providing presentations to the class on Ghanaian culture, history, and music, as well as insights into my own travel experiences in Ghana
- Learning and mastering all drumming rhythms, drumming technique, and other class material in order to assist class members
- Organizing and leading a “section”: a supplementary practice and learning session once a week
- Coordinating with the class professor on all class projects, topics covered, and grading
Developed a lesson plan and taught a course on songwriting to a group of about 40 women of all ages, emphasizing female empowerment and uninhibited artistic expression through music.
- Working one-on-one with at-risk students in grades K-12 to develop skills in math, reading, and writing, and to develop a sense of relevance and enthusiasm for learning
- Interviewing and hiring qualified tutors, and developing and implementing a training program for tutors in teaching methods and mentorship
- Monitoring tutor and student progress throughout the semester for statistical analysis
- Developing curriculum that addresses all math topics required by the academic state standards in Rhode Island, Virginia, and Washington D.C., considering specific needs and learning styles of different age groups at different stages in children’s psychological development
- Evaluating diagnostic tests of individuals and develop personalized curricula accordingly
- Provided private instruction in voice and piano performance to students of all ages
- Developed curricula appropriate for each individual student’s learning needs and
My daughter said she liked Julie and she seemed pleased with what they covered in her 1st lesson. Great review from a 14yr old.
I had no idea when we signed up for SAT prep lessons with Julie, the level of help we would get. Julie went so far above and beyond what you would expect a tutor to do. During the lessons, she was always incredibly encouraging and focused. She explained things in a way that just made more sense. And then in between lessons, she sent problems like the ones we had trouble with to help solidify what was learned. She sent links to other sample problems and communicated regularly about the progress being made. I couldn’t rave enough about Julie!+ Read More
It was such a pleasure working with Julie! I'd never taken a singing lesson before and Julie made me feel super comfortable. She encouraged me to keep trying when I felt like I was messing up, gave me tips and tricks that worked for me, and also kept it fun! :)+ Read More
I’m sure most people realize how hard it is to be so vulnerable in front of another, or worse, a group. And that is how singing was for me. I was scared beyond belief. My introduction to Julie was amazing. I felt 100% at ease and comfortable the second I walked through the door. She just has this incredible positive energy and warmth, that you can't help but feel comfortable to be yourself and ready to be open in front of a stranger. For me, this was the biggest step. Once we started singing (if you can call what I was doing that :) she never made me feel uncomfortable or bad about my voice. Just the opposite, encouraging, reinforced by smiles and laughing together. Her exercises are easily comprehensible and she puts everything on paper or in a recording so it's simple to follow for homework. She also helped me learn harmonies on songs my band was doing and created a bunch of fun exercises/games to learn harmony. If you are looking to take singing to the next level, whether starting out or stepping up your current range, Julie is a wonderful instructor and I would highly recommend her to anyone. One of these days I'll convince her join my band :)+ Read More
Working with Julie has been a pleasure. She is patient, professional, and makes sure you get the tools you need to start singing better. Highly recommended!
My session with Julie was suuuper good for my spirit and clearing up the little stuck places that are keeping my beautiful voice from flowing through. I appreciated the patience and focus she had while bringing awareness to the sound I'm offering and helping to tap into my power and tones. The effects from the session definitely carried into the day-to-day stuff, so I'm excited to continue exploring with her!+ Read More
Very patient with me, and great at finding different ways to explain things that I struggle to understand. She has been a great help!