Seoul National University of the Arts, music conservatory, piano performance ('93-'01)
Cornell University, Music Major, Computing in the Arts concentration ('02-'05, '11-'12)
Mills College, MFA in Performance and Literature for Improvisation ('13-'14)
Mills College, MA in Music Composition ('14-'15)
teaching music theory, piano performance for ages 2 and up
lessons customized to suit needs and talents
teaching experience of 10+ years
specializing in teaching young children
individual teaching pedagogy or preferred methods
My philosophy of teaching piano and music is an integrated, individualistic approach. My responsibility as a teacher is to tap into the enthusiasm of the student - what excites them and captivates them about music and nurture that curiosity. While covering the spectrum of theory, technique, and depth of sounds - it is also important to keep it fresh with innovative approaches to learning different concepts and I achieve this using many different ways honed over the years. What I also aim to teach is effective and efficient practicing - and teach the tools that the student needs to continue evolving as a musician.
*** Specialties ***
MTAC aspires to be the recognized leader in (1) Student Programs, which make a positive impact in the quality of music education and in the lives of music students; (2) Member Programs, which inspire quality teaching, the pursuit of ongoing teacher education and member involvement with community outreach; (3) a thriving Foundation, which funds Student Programs and member needs through its investments, donations, and grants.
· Classical Piano · In home As an intermediate player returning to lessons, Julie provides great direction.
· Piano · In home Great with kids and easy to work with.
· Piano · In studio I'm only on my second lesson with Julie and I like her very much, she's been very patient and understanding with me, as I knew absolutely nothing about the piano going in, I'm very much looking forward to an ongoing learning adventure with her and the piano...
· Piano · In studio Julie is very knowledgeable, she has a wide array of experience and knowledge. Her passion and her ability to teach the lesson makes her a joy to work with.
· Piano · Great instructor for my children
My kids are on their way to their 5th lesson and completely enjoy the company of Julie. Her lessons are stimulating & have a lasting impression on my 2 sons. When they get home they are excited about what they have learned & gladly take to the piano at home.
I am happy to have found such a wonderful kid friendly instructor.