- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I have been a music teacher for over 12 years and I have experience teaching students of all ages, levels, and backgrounds. Equally at home teaching piano and voice, I currently teach in Berkeley, CA.
I combine my teaching and academic experience with intuition and common sense to help my students achieve their goals, whether it’s learning music for the first time or developing advanced skills and artistry. I understand each student learns differently, therefore, I tailor my teaching methods to the needs of each of my students.
Having experienced and resolved various vocal and pianistic difficulties during my own studies, I am very adept at finding solutions to solve my students’ vocal and pianistic issues. I am trained in the Taubman Approach, a piano methodology developed to prevent and re-train pianists after a piano-related injury, and I am an active member of the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS), where I have access to vocal pedagogy training and research.
In addition to my music background, I also hold a degree in soccer coaching and I have led teams in Mexico and the United States. My experience in sports enriched my teaching philosophy and methods. I integrate educational psychology and coaching techniques to keep my students engaged and motivated, and apply anatomy and biomechanic concepts to teach a healthy and coordinated technique.
I graduated with honors from UC Berkeley’s Music Department, where I was an active member of both University and Chamber Choruses, an American Cultures Engaged Scholar, and a music tutor at the department. Furthermore, I was a student fellow at The Rubin Institute for Music Criticism and co-founded Cal Opera Company. As a baritone, I have sung under the direction of conductors such as Gustavo Dudamel, Nicholas McGegan, Joana Carneiro, Marika Kuzma, and David Milnes.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
· Singing · In home Juan is a really good teacher. Pretty informed and technical. Very helpful . He has helped me with my sight singing which has gotten better, I've learned some pretty interesting techniques because of his approach,
· Piano · In home Juan Carlos is a fine piano teacher. He focuses on teaching the correct methodology and then engages in various musical genres to fully engage my son.
· Piano · In home I've been taking lessons with multiple teachers to address a repetitive motion injury; any of my previous teachers were able to help me until I started taking lessons with Juan, he is carefully teaching me how to play correctly and I am feeling much better, and my playing has more ease. Extremely helpful!