- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5 to 30
- Teaching since:
- January 2015
My name is Joy Weir and I have been involved in theatre and acting for the last decade. I have been teaching acting and theatrical skills to children as well as coaching friends and colleagues for even longer. I am available for group classes as well, please contact me for info and rates.
As a teaching artist for children I have worked with Yes! And... Collaborative Arts, ASAP Drama, Rehoboth Summer Children's Theatre, Theatre Horizon, White Pines Productions, and I even began my own curriculum at the Lansdowne YMCA. I have worked with children ages 4-18 in various classes, workshops, and performances.
As far as coaching friends and colleagues, I focus on audition monologues and fundamental acting techniques and skills.
I received a Theatre Performance Scholarship at Drexel University and I have appeared in performances with Philadelphia Artists' Collective and Simpatico Theatre Project. I am also a member of the improv group, Tongue & Groove.
• Created an 8 week residency program for ages 3-5 based on the book Where The Wild Things Are.
• Created an 8 week residency program for ages 3-5 focused on character creation and guided storytelling.
• Crafted weekly lesson plans around team building activities, storytelling, and performance to culminate in a final performance.
• Worked alongside a co-teacher to teach students k-6th grade the foundations of theatrical performance.
• Developed a final performance of the piece “Ninjarella”.
• Planned games, activities, and rehearsals each week that supplemented theatrical skill training.
• Casted, costumed, and directed students 7-12 yrs old in a scripted play within the course of a week.
• Guided 5-6 yr old students through a process performance complete with costumes and hand crafted props.
• Crafted a 20-week residency program where students developed and executed their own piece of theatre.
• Lead a separate 1-hr improvisation workshop for all current ASAP Drama sites throughout a day long workshop intensive. Students ranged from 2nd-12th grade.
• Executed 1-hr lesson plans 2-3 times throughout the day to assist in developing the students’ understanding of theatre.
• Assisted in the direction of the students 9th-12th grade in the production of Bobashela.
• Gathered dramaturgical research and presented to students in order to deepen their character connections.
Joy is absolutely wonderful and my son Zac loves working with her. She definitely has a natural ability for working with younger actors. She is teaching him the fundamentals and making it very enjoyable for him. Monologues, improv and more!
I worked with Joy during her directed production of "dtf" as a part of Drexel University's Director's Lab performance during fall of 2016. Joy was an absolute blast to work with and was extremely encouraging during the course of our rehearsals leading up to the performance. She really helped my scene partner and I to explore our characters on a much deeper level than what was proactively displayed on stage. I felt that it helped me immensely as an actor during the show as I felt much more comfortable in my position on stage and more "in-tune" with my character. Joy is a wonderful director who puts in maximum effort for directing and takes a personal and effective approach to actor preparation for her productions!+ Read More
Joy is an incredible instructor with an amazing eye. She's creative and teaches in a way I understand. She really helped me with character development and always asks in-depth questions about my tactics and inner monologues. Not only this, she helped my confidence and gave me skills I couldn't get elsewhere.+ Read More
Joy helped me prepare monologues countless times. She had a really great sense of getting right to the meat of things. " why is your character doing this..?", " who are they talking to?" " what's the subtext?" " what is the underlying need?" These are all questions she's helped me sort out. She's also great at telling you what is playing/working/reading in terms of actor choices. Love her!+ Read More