- Levels Taught:
- Middle School, High School, College
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
I'm a researcher with 8 years of tutoring experience and spent a gap year directing an after-school tutoring program for at-risk youth. Over the years I've tutored dozens of students (in subjects ranging from biology, math, and earth science to English writing, SAT prep, and statistics) and have yet to come across someone whose grades did not significantly improve after our time working together. I'm more than happy to provide references to anyone looking to hear more about my past work.
I'm passionate about tutoring because I believe every student has the potential to thrive in an academic environment. Unfortunately, many students aren't taught in way that helps them achieve conceptual mastery or don't get enough individual attention in the classroom. That's why I believe in the power of the personal, individualized tutoring relationship. When a tutor, I focus on a few things:
1) Concept Mastery - I work to help students understand that it's not enough to just understand how to solve a problem, but that you also need to understand why that solution works. If you have a deep conceptual mastery over the material, you'll be able to solve new kinds of problems with those same skills, even if you haven't encountered a problem like it before.
2) Academic Confidence – I’m always surprised by the number of students that I work with who honestly believe they aren’t smart or capable enough to succeed in school. So, part of my job as a tutor is to help those students understand that hard work and confidence are the key to success, so matter how difficult they find the work initially.
3) Love of Learning – This is perhaps the most important element to me. My favorite teachers were not the ones who managed to cram the most amount of information in my head, but those who helped me be excited about the subjects they taught. As a tutor, I work with students to develop excitement about the subject matter and a love of learning more generally.
Finally, here’s a bit more information about me. Currently, I'm a public health researcher at a large non-profit, and specialize in systematic reviews and project evaluation. I studied Sociology and Public Policy at UNC Chapel Hill. I graduated summa cum laude and received a Chancellor's award for excellence in my field of study. In the new few years, I plan to go back for a PhD in clinical psychology. I look forward to working with you or your student!
Tar Heel tutors is a student tutoring organization at UNC. Through this organization I tutored a number of students, both for pay and as a volunteer.
The Phi Beta Kappa Society celebrates and advocates excellence in the liberal arts and sciences. Its campus chapters invite for induction the most outstanding arts and sciences students at America’s leading colleges and universities. The Society sponsors activities to advance these studies — the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences — in higher education and in society at large.+ Read More
Josh has been a great tutor for my son. Josh not only helped him to understand and master the concepts in Algebra 2, but also helped with general organization and study skills. He was great with my son. And most importantly, we saw a definite improvement in my son's grades.+ Read More
Very good instructor. Will go the extra mile to help the student before and after the lesson.
Josh was a vary helpful tutor for me and really helped me understand concepts that I was unable to grasp in class. Josh enphisized not only teaching me how to do the problem, but making sure that I understood the logic behind it. Josh was also extremely communicative outside sceduled sessions and was always willing to explain concepts over text. I would strongly recommend josh and I beleave that he is a great tutor.+ Read More
Josh was a very patient and a hands on tutor. He took time to get to know each student in order to better assist them personally. He had good boundaries with the students and was able to stay professional while being able to have fun with them. We saw personal gains based on the VA SOL test scores at the end of the school year after his assistance.+ Read More
Both of my sons went from F’s to B’s with Josh’s help. We had all pretty much given up that they would be able to get good grades in math. We were just hoping Josh could get them to pass. We can’t say enough about Josh’s clear, understandable and relevant guidance. Yes, they got great grades, but he also made them feel confident in their abilities to do the work. He is wonderful!+ Read More