- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
I’ve been traveling and meeting with the most esteemed pedagogues from leading conservatories who have taught great artists such as Joshua Bell, James Ehnes, and other leading violinists of the century, and observing their students. The most basic common denominator among young prodigies is that they have a great foundation technique from the start.
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+
- Teaching since:
It is a common phenomenon that beginner players take lessons with a local teacher who may not be an expert or vastly knowledgeable. Thus, my observation is that vast majority (more than 90%) of beginning music students fall into the trap of learning to play violin without proper foundation.
Here are some things you should consider while looking for a teacher:
· Good education and high level of artistry of the teacher are important especially for beginners.
· Your teacher should be inspiring! Both musically and in daily life. My teachers who’ve influenced me the most are my role models in music and life.
· Music teachers often teach numerous instruments, but it is impossible to teach good foundations when the teacher is a Jack of all trades, master of none.
· Great teachers give you undivided attention and are persistent.
· Lessons should be non-judgmental learning space.
As a violinist whose earliest years were filled with musical inspiration, but without appropriate guidance, I’ve spent a lot of time analyzing what it takes to play violin well. It is my sincere hope to teach my students from the get-go with both inspiration and structured technique.
2014 – Present: Depaul University School of Music with Janet Sung (Soloist)
2012 – 2014: Studied with David Coucheron (Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Concertmaster)
2013: Masterclass with Midori (one of the most sought after performer and teacher in the world)
2017 Music House Teacher
2015-2017 Music for Kids Teacher
Joseph has been teaching my daughter, Sophie, since 2015. He is excellent! Not only is his teaching instruction easy for her to follow (she was 12 when she started studying with Joe), he is a very keen musician and a teacher. For sure he has my robust recommendation as well as our trust.