- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5 to 40 and special needs
- Teaching since:
I am Jose, graduated as an undergrad at Towson University and currently enrolled at University of Maryland. My career is focus on Spanish Literature and Latin American Studies. While majoring on those careers, I participated on a work study group as a tutor in Spanish Linguistics, Culture, and History. I am originally from Peru and have been a volunteer teaching, assisting, and leading educational plans in Mexico and Peru. I enjoy teaching because it connects different people who share similarities and differences culturally and willing to learn about one another.
My experience comes from teaching abroad in both rural areas and cities in Latin America. Currently working at Wolfe Street Academy as the Spanish program coordinator which serves students from low-socioeconomic backgrounds. I enjoy merging methodologies and differentiating to help students overcome their learning difficulties. Hence, strengthening their learning weaknesses and polishing their learnings’ strengths.
While studying Spanish, I learn that teaching a language is not solely about grammar but rather the culture and structure behind it. Grammar nonetheless is part of the language and a co-requirement to excel academically. My qualifications comes from my multicultural methodology where I teach and provide students resources to self-learn and structure their metacognitive abilities. Merging both culture and language provides opportunities to research, creative write, independent study themes and topics related to the language of Spanish. My interdisciplinary vision provides students the ability to learn grammar not as a base but a tool to comprehend, critical think, and synthesize own their own perceptions and opinions about its culture.
Being a teacher means that one once was a student. The value of learning different things and paying attention to details while having fun in discovering and researching has make craft my abilities to teach the particular subjects describe previously. I will end by quoting Nelson Mandela "Education is the most powerful weapon in the world to entice change" I look forward working with everyone.
• Teach Spanish After School as enrichment course
• Lesson planning and collaborating in Extra Curricular activities
• Work developing language acquisition with children 2nd to 5th Grade
• Teach and co-teach Spanish and English grades 1 to 12grade
• Assist Dancing coach and Volleyball coach on tournament practice
• Individual and group lesson planning to merge US and Peru education methodology
• Managed a class of 15 to 20 students afterschool
• Tutor various subjects and teach Spanish Level 1
• Overlook and coach students during recess on sports afterschool
• Integration of the arts to capture students’ imagination and helping them to achieve homework success.
• Mainstream and Inclusion strategizing with main teacher and paraeducators in order to accommodate classroom lectures to students’ needs and strengths.
• Hands-on and Hands-off lectures to build students’ self-actualization, and critical thinking.
• Teacher collaboration in creating Unit and lesson plans in immersion program
• Helping in differentiation task creation for students with special needs
• Multitask between assignments to prevent students to fall behind.
• Lead student groups to maximize students’ cooperation and focus on their different intelligences to enhance learning
• Integrating the arts in order to capture students’ different learning styles and build confidence and reliance with one another.
• Participate in staff meetings to learn the structure of the education system in the US
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of South Carolina, a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and partners with the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, Estudio Internacional Sampere, the Instituto Universitario de Investigación en Estudios Norteamericanos Benjamin Franklin, the Universidad Veritas, the International Association of Hispanists and the North American Academy of the Spanish Language.+ Read More
Jose teaches Spanish in the after school program at Wolfe Street Academy. I am his supervisor. Jose has been a great addition to the team. The kids enjoy his lessons and their Spanish skills have improved.