- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- Ages 10+
- Teaching since:
- May 2001
Thank you for taking the time to view my profile- I look forward to helping you achieve your musical goals. I'm excited to announce that I'm now available to teach via Online if you're outside of my teaching radius or are seeking a more convenient alternative.
I'm a professional guitarist with a background in jazz, heavy metal, blues, classical, and bossa nova. In 2006 I graduated from the Berklee College of Music and am lead guitarist for the Atlanta band Axis of Empires.
Whether you are a beginning guitarist or a seasoned professional, I can expand and enhance your playing in any direction you choose. I look forward to getting to know you as a student and learning about what course of study will bring out not only your understanding of music but a musical style that is unique to you.
Having a long time love of all music I have always enjoyed discussing music and educating others on its many aspects. As such I began teaching during summers home from Berklee and found that it was something I had a great deal of talent for. Now, with seven years of teaching experience behind me, I look forward to bringing my skills and insights to students of all ages and bring not only ability on the guitar but a greater love of music to a fresh crop of open minds!!
In addition to guitar, I am also qualified to teach voice, public speaking, dramatic acting, and all aspects of music theory, the latter of which I incorporate into all of my music lessons.
A FEW THINGS TO BE AWARE OF:
1. I am able to take lessons in your home or over Skype. I am no longer accepting lessons in my home.
2. Please only pick one teacher. I don't know why people do this but on more than one occasion I've had students come to me and say "I'm doing lessons with you and this other guy. I figure I can learn different things from both of you." You only need one teacher- if that's not me, I understand.
3. I will NOT remove you as a client on Takelessons so that I can take money under the table from you directly. Sometimes clients will say "the lessons on Takelessons are expensive- is there any way I can just pay you directly?" No, you may not. The amount you are paying is MY specified fee from which Takelessons takes a commission so paying me directly would not save you money. Furthermore, I have a binding agreement with Takelessons not to do this. If you press me on this matter I will discontinue your lessons altogether.
4. Similarly, if you are coming to my profile on Takelessons do not contact me on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media attempting to circumvent Takelessons. Please book through Takelessons and I will be happy to address any questions you may have.
*** Lesson Details ***
Although I follow a specific lesson plan, its important to customize that to each student's skill level and specific needs. Thus, I will spend the first lesson evaluating where the student is in terms of overall musical awareness, existing skill on the instrument, and long term interest.
By the end of the first month, my beginning students will be able to perform basic chromatic and major scales, name the notes on the instrument, and have command of a few basic chords. With these core concepts and regular, committed practice, they will be able to learn and perform songs in a wide variety of styles after 3 to 6 months have passed.
My more advanced students will have a lesson plan customized to their specific goals and desires. In 3 to 6 months with such a student I will have them well on the path to accomplishing their long term goals, whether those be playing, composition, harmonic awareness, understanding of theory, or all of the above.
*** Studio Equipment ***
dedicated music room; cables/amps; electric & acoustic guitars; keyboard
*** Travel Equipment ***
Electric or acoustic guitar as needed.
*** Specialties ***
Having graduated from the Berklee College of Music, I follow their approach in educating the student. In this regard I teach music theory along with the physical act of playing the guitar, which serves to not only enrich the experience for the student but demonstrate how what they are learning is applied to music on the whole.
I am fluent in many genres and specialize in rock, jazz, the blues, and various fusion genres. Because music functions off of the same principles regardless of genre, I can take whatever style the student might best appreciate and structure my lesson plan around it.
Good guy. Knows his stuff.
Jordan is very knowledgeable and a good teacher. You can find good guitar players that will show you how to play guitar, but Jordan is much more than that and can instruct even veteran players on how to improve their play.
Great Instruction for all levels
I am in my mid-thirties and have never had any formal musical instruction until I started taking lessons with Jordan a few months ago. I was a little nervous about starting the lessons, but Jordan made me very comfortable right away. You definitely can tell he knows music inside and out. He is also very helpful about incorporating just enough music theory into each lesson, so I can expand my knowledge of theory, but not so much that I get overwhelmed. I would definitely recommend Jordan to anyone looking for a great vocal or guitar instructor.
Jordan is an excellent instructor. I'm very pleased with the guidance that I have received thus far. With the limited amount of time spent in a 30min session, we always seem to cover a lot of ground. I would recommend lessons with him for any guitarist looking to take their guitar skills to the next level.
Jordan is very knowledgeable and professional. I am very pleased with his teaching style and making me comfortable learning to play.
Hiram F. Fitzpatrick, student
Lessons are going great!Learning a lot.