- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
My expertise are not limited to:
- preparing for a concert, recital or performance of any kind in any environment
-an audition, or a performance in front of a panel of judges
- a concerto: a virtuosic solo work
- musical technique, musicality, and any other aspect of playing that may directly affect your presentation of music.
- Teaches students:
- Ages 1+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- June 2009
I see each lesson with a student as another opportunity to help facilitate realization within them. Now in my fourth year as a professional freelance performing and teaching artist living in New York City, I currently hold a private studio of over 20 pupils, ages 6 to 65, professing a wide range of topics rooted in the subject matters of music, the arts, and spirituality.
Most of the subjects I teach are music related, in which I have over 6 years of Conservatory training, a Bachelor's and Master's degree, as well as over 15 years experience performing, recording, and competing on an international level. However, my interests, practices, and skillsets do extend beyond sound and visual art, and in the realm of spirituality.
I specialize in the following areas of musical study: General Music, Composition, Ear Training, Music History, Music Theory, Sight Singing, and Songwriting. I also specialize in the following instruments: Trumpet and Piano/Keyboards. As a trumpeter, I have competed twice in international competitions presented by the International Trumpet Guild, and have participated in two audition based international intensive programs: at the School for Improvisational Music, and at the Banff Center in Alberta Canada. I was one of only two jazz trumpeters in the world to receive an audition for the 2014 Juilliard Artist Diploma Program in Jazz Trumpet, and besides touring as a musician in over 5 countries, I have served as an educator for the Afro-Latin Jazz Alliance created by GRAMMY-winning pianist Arturo O'Farrill, as well as the Gramercy Brass Orchestra of New York City.
I have also been practicing various forms of meditation practices and Yoga practices for the past 3 years. My influences span from Astral Projection to Reiki, to Vipassana Meditation, to Visualization Techniques, and much more. I believe and live by the idea that creativity is an energy that flows through us, and one's creative abilities can be improved and expanded, through the emotional body, which is influenced by one's perceptions. Throughout my training in music and the arts, I have realized that creative flow and love for what one is and does can be applied to anything in life.
Because of my 9+ years experience as a professional artist living in New York City, my students receive both guidance in discovering their own voice and comfort within their desired field of practice, and also practical approaches to retain and utilize their training and pre-ordained skill sets, with self-application and diligence. Through study with me, my students enable themselves to swiftly make progress and move toward a life of renewed purpose and fulfilment. Through specific assignments, exercises, and practices my students foster a real relationship with their instruments, and themselves, thus unlocking their creative minds, for usage in all aspects of their lives.
I teach out of a my home apartment studio on the upper east side, complete with weighted 88-key digital piano, Bose high quality speakers, recording equipment, as well as musical media, and tablature spanning many musical genres, cultures and time periods. I also am equipped with a spacious floor space for Yoga, Pilates, Weight Lifting, Meditation, and more. Additionally, I am able to travel to any location within the five boroughs for an additional travel fee (TBD based on location).
I look forward to helping you realize your potential! Let's get started...
- Teaching Assistant for Brad Goode: Assistant Director of Jazz Studies @ CU Boulder: '16-present
- Departmental Assistant for Todd Coolman: Director of Jazz Studies @ SUNY Purchase: '10 ~ '11
- Departmental Assistant for Conrad Herwig: Director of Jazz Studies @ Rutgers University: '09 ~ '10'
- Trumpet Teacher, Piano Teacher, & Music Teacher @ Lyceum Kennedy French/Japanese School: '16
- Trumpet Teacher & Educator @ Gramercy Brass Orchestra Band Camp: '08 ~ present
- Trumpet Teacher & Educator @ Afro-Latin Jazz Academy of Music: director Arturo O'Farrill: '12
- Educator @ Jonathan Music: '13-present
- Trumpeter @ Princess Cruises: '13
- Lead Trumpeter in “Fantasia” (off-broadway): '16
- Lead Trumpeter in “Anything Goes” (off-broadway): '15
- Lead Trumpeter in “A Chorus Line” (off-broadway): '15
- Lead Trumpeter in “The Wild Party” (off-broadway): '14
- Lead Trumpeter in “Sweet Charity” (off-broadway): '12
- Lead Trumpeter in “Damn Yankees” U.S. TOUR (off-broadway): '12
- Lead Trumpeter in “Kiss Me Kate” (off-broadway): '12
- Lead Trumpeter in “Les Miserables” (off-broadway): '05
- Military Trumpeter @ Adirondack Camp: '04 ~ '05
- Orchestral Trumpeter in Paramount Studio’s "Changing Lanes": '00
- recording artist: on 19 albums '07 - present
- performing artist: 5 countries, national touring artist
- competitor: Carmine Caruso International Jazz Trumpet Solo Competition @ USC: '09, International Trumpet Guild Jazz Solo Competition (1st Place): '07
- participant: International Intensive Programs by Audition ~ School for Improvisational Music: '11, Banff Workshop in Jazz and Creative Music: '15
I would highly recommend Jonathan as a music teacher. Jonathan is absolutely passionate about music, which is evident by his enthusiastic and energetic teaching techniques. He is very patient with my five year old and encourages her to get her very best effort. Jonathan customizes the music and lessons for my daughter’s skill level while at the same time provides challenges to keep the learning process interesting. In a short period of time, my daughter's keyboard playing abilities have dramatically increased. I am very grateful to Jonathan for making learning fun for my daughter, who always looks forward to her lessons!+ Read More
Jonathan has made a great impression with my son. He displays a great combination of patience and encouragement with Nick. I have seen an improvement in his trumpet skills as well as his confidence.
NICE, HELPFUL AND PATIENT.
I have been taking lessons from Jonathan for 6 months and it has been a tremendously enjoyable experience. Jonathan has an excellent methodology to teaching music which is a mixture of technical exercises and application of the theory to learning how to make music. The dual approach allows me to not only understand and appreciate the theoretical and technical aspects of learning the instrument, but also gives me the sense of fun and satisfaction that comes with applying what I learn and seeing the output in a piece of music. Jonathan is extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of the instrument and can break this knowledge down for easy elucidation. Overall it has been great learning experience.+ Read More
Jonathan teaches trumpet as simply an extension of breathing. First he emphasizes good breathing and posture, and then he aligns you naturally with the instrument. By the end of the first lesson I could relax and achieve a real trumpet tone. Amazing.
Jonathan is a really good instructor as well as an accomplished musician. This is my 8 year old son's first experience with music lessons and they're a good match. He looks forward to the piano lesson and is pretty happy to do the little bits of homework after. It's been a great experience for us.+ Read More