- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a professional Saxophonist and Composer with over 25 years of professional experience as a performer and educator in New York City and Los Angeles.
All experience levels and musical styles are welcome; I am looking for students with serious ambition and drive to learn how to play
Some of the subject I teach:
Saxophone, Jazz, Improvisation, Composition, Music Sequencing (Cubase, Digital Performer), Music Theory & Ear Training
I tailor my lessons for each individual. The goal is to get you playing GREAT. If you can HEAR it you can PLAY it!
For experienced students, we can cover advanced topics, like learning jazz & pop songs. Learning how to improvise, basic music theory and harmony, all the way to modern playing techniques, if the student wishes.
For in-home lessons, I teach anywhere on the WESTSIDE of Los Angeles. (Santa Monica, Venice, Brentwood, West LA, Culver, Westwood, Palisades, etc)
MA Music Composition, New York University
BM Music Performance, Saxophone
I've studied privately with many of the world's greatest jazz musicians, including James Moody, Clark Terry, Joe Lovano, Gary Smuylan, Harold Mabern, Steve Wilson, Wessell "Warmdaddy" Anderson, and more.
FILM COMPOSER CREDITS:
OUTLANDER (2015) Composer Bear McCreary.
THIS LAST LONELY PLACE (2014)
THE EMPLOYER (2013) Starring Malcolm McDowell
STAR WARS, THE APPRENTICE (2013, short) Concept Piece created for Lucasfilm.
FATAL HONEYMOON (2013) additional music. Starring Harvey Keitel
Thousands of live performances. Based out of Cleveland, OH (1990-mid 90’s), then New York City until 2009. Performance and touring experience throughout the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, and France.
Experience playing in wide variety of musical settings, including Wind Ensembles, Bebop, Modern Jazz, Big Bands, R&B & Soul Music, Brazilian Music, Salsa, Funk, and Musicals.
PERFORMING CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
Venue Highlights include:
The Jazz Standard, Smalls, Smoke, Sweet Basils/Sweet Rhythm, Tonic, Zinc Bar, 55 Bar, The Lenox Lounge, Showman’s, Sunside-Sunset (Paris), Duc des Lombards (Paris), The St. Nick’s Pub, The Triad Theater, The Cutting Room, Cleopatra’s Needle, S.O.B’s, Garage, The Bird of Paradise (Ann Arbor), Baker’s Keyboard Lounge
Music composition concepts and techniques to underprivileged students in Manhattan and the Bronx. Special attention and awareness in the program to the varied learning styles and approaches of children of color, especially those from distressed backgrounds, socio-economic status, and those children with learning disabilities.
Supervised the acquisition and cataloguing of privately held jazz recordings & and memorabilia, including over 15,000 recordings, as well as a portion of Duke Ellingtonâs personal book collection.
Assisted with planning and presentation of concerts and speaking engagements. Events featured Wynton Marsalis, Ken Burns, Ravi Coltrane, Rashied Ali, Greg Osby, Jason Moran, Cyrus Chesnut, Dan Morgenstern, Max Roach, Cecil Taylor, and Jon Faddis.
I taught saxophone, as well as introductory woodwinds (Clarinet and Flute) to approximately 20-25 students per semester. Ages ranged from 10-18. For advanced students, subjects also included Jazz Improvisation, Music Theory and Harmony.
The Cleveland Music School Settlement has always been one of the largest private community music schools in the United States, with over one hundred years of service to the greater Cleveland area.
Private music lessons, as well as group master classes & ensembles, to approximately 20 students per semester. The Jazz Outreach program was specifically designed to serve the enrichment needs of under privileged children from the inner city neighborhoods, grades 6-12.
· Saxophone · In studio First lesson was great! I'm a beginner and he was very patient with me. Thank you. Look forward to the next lesson!
· Music Performance · In home Jon has been an excellent instructor to my 11-year-old boy. Aside from his personal passion in Saxophone, he is also an distinguished performer. As a parent, and especially for a beginner student, Jon's passion and patience will only foster if not inspire a young and curious saxophone learner.
· Saxophone · In home Super knowledgeable and easy going.
· Jazz Improvisation · In home Jonathan is a great and fun teacher to work with. He is patient, kind, hardworking, and knowledgeable. He is skilled in many genres of music and is able to help you
in any direction that you might be interested in from Jazz Improvisation, Composition, and Recording. I would work with him without reservation.
He has both the knowledge, experience, and methodology to get you where ever you want to go in music.
· Jazz Improvisation · In studio Jonathan has a huge amount of experience and expertise to draw from and I learned just as much from speaking with as the actual hands on of the lessons. His patience and understanding were a bonus to an already great experience.
· Saxophone · In studio Excellence!
Jonathan H. is the epitome of a great teacher. He is patient, allowing you to understand things on your own time. His instruction is clear and easy to understand and his knowledge of music seems to be endless. Above all else he is an accomplished musician and I trust that under his watchful eye I will be able to improve and refine my own abilities.