- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am an Estonian-American composer, conductor and violinist currently living and working in Boston. As a composer, I'm fortunate enough to work with orchestras, choirs and ensembles who perform my music around the world – from Beijing Forbidden City Concert Hall in China, to Merkin Concert Hall in New York. I've composed works in various genres: contemporary classical, film, electronic, jazz and more.
I've studied composition and conducting at the New England Conservatory and the Estonian Academy of Music. My conducting teachers include Sean Newhouse, Charles Peltz and Erica Washburn.
I've studied music theory and ear training vigorously in private lessons since middle school and continued my studies with several important teachers and advanced courses at the New England Conservatory.
I've experience playing violin for over 16 years, studying with teachers such as Gerardo Ribeiro (Northwestern University), Desiree Ruhstrat (Northwestern University & Indiana University) and many others.
I work with students teaching a large variety of subjects: composition, arranging, music theory, conducting, violin, notation, engraving and more.
I've been a guest lecturer at composition seminars in the Estonian Academy of Music, presenting my own music and leading discussions for bachelor and masters students.
Experience in orchestral, choral and wind ensemble conducting. I have a diverse amount of music in my repertoire: from classical masterworks, arrangements of jazz tunes, to premiering new compositions of my colleagues.
I have studied conducting at New England Conservatory and the Estonian Academy of Music. My teachers include Sean Newhouse, Charles Peltz, Erica Washburn and Paul Mägi. I have taken Masters level courses both at New England Conservatory and Estonian Academy of Music (M.M. degree not completed).
I've been commissioned by several organizations to write original compositions. Some of my commissioners include Tallinn Philharmonic Society, New York Virtuoso Singers, Chicago Beethoven Festival and the Estonian Composer’s Union.
My music is performed around the world: Miami's New World Center, Beijing Forbidden City Concert Hall in China, Altenhof Kuhhaus in Germany, Pärnu Music Festival in Estonia are to name a few. This also includes frequent performances on classical music radio stations.
I have also worked for film production companies writing original film scores.
I've studied composition with: Efstratios Minakakis, Anthony Coleman, John Mallia, Matthew Hagle and Mischa Zupko.
I've played violin for over 16 years, studying with teachers such as Gerardo Ribeiro (Northwestern University), Desiree Ruhstrat (Northwestern University & Indiana University) and many others.
I have a vast amount of experience soloing and playing with orchestras and other ensembles. I've been in orchestras such as the Chicago Youth in Music Festival Orchestra (Riccardo Muti, conductor; Yo-Yo Ma, cello) and Boston Youth Philharmonic Orchestra (Benjamin Zander, conductor).
I also have experience playing in improvisation ensembles at the New England Conservatory.
Co-developed Classical Youth Initiative, Ravinia Music Festival's program aimed at giving 1,000s of high school students the opportunity to experience the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Drew up marketing projects to promote classical music to young people.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· · Jonas is one of the most genuine, passionate, and adept musicians I have ever met. The elegance in which he writes music and his grace with the baton are only matched by his drive to share his knowledge with others.
· Composition · In studio Jonas is one of the most inspiring musicians and thinkers I know. His depth of knowledge in all types of compositional styles is astounding, as his many accolades as a composer prove. He's humble, hard working, and motivates the artists around him to do better through his example. If you're looking to take your composing and arranging abilities to the next level, Jonas is the guy for you.
· Music Theory · In home Jonas is very helpful and thorough. He was very patient and detailed when helping me with music theory or playing the violin. I think he is very good at listening to what the student says and does, and is able to adapt himself to suit the student’s needs.
· · Jonas Tarm is one of the most talented musicians I know. Beyond being a fantastic composer and teacher, he has an acutely true sense of what it means to be an artist. I have the utmost respect for him, and I am honored to consider him a colleague and a friend.
· Arrangement and Composition · In studio Tarm is a caring, meticulous, and brilliant instructor whose teaching is supported by professionalism and his extraordinary skill as an artist. My experiences with him have also been supplemented by his strong emphasis on work ethic and attention to detail, with remarkable results that I hope to revisit in the future.
· · Jonas is a wonderful person to work with! I've collaborated recently with Jonas to record a composition of his. He has a fantastic ear and sense for music. He is also straightforward, yet respectful, which is rare especially among younger teachers. I am excited to see where his career goes!
· · In studio Jonas gave me lessons in playing the violin and music theory last summer. He was a wonderful and patient teacher—he was critical of my playing but his feedbacks were always considerate and constructive. In music theory we analyzed real music passages instead of following along a boring theory textbook. Jonas was full of insights and forever changed the way I listen to music.