- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I have been teaching young people and adults how to play musical instruments for over 20 years. A lot of my students are well on their way to a rewarding future with music, some as professionals and others as hobbyists. In addition to being a teacher, I am also a professional performer who has worked in a wide variety of styles and I have a Masters degree in music composition and theory.
One of my main specialties is working with very young students and total beginners. There is a special skill to teaching young children that can only be developed through experience. For the older student, or the student who already has a musical background my specialty is helping you learn the styles that have always been of most interest to you. I can also help older students gain a broad understanding of music through some basic music theory.
*** Lesson Details ***
I can teach piano or keyboard to beginners and up to advanced students. On guitar and woodwinds I can teach beginners and up to intermediate level students.
My teaching style is fairly relaxed and very positive, but I will try to keep the lessons on a course that is going to benefit you the most. For younger piano students and beginners I prefer the Alfreds piano system. The songs in the Alfreds books allow for immediate playing and note reading without any tedious memorization. The beginner books contain a lot of fun songs that kids really gravitate toward.
For older students I try to gear the lessons toward whatever musical style you prefer. For students who have only had traditional piano lessons I can teach you how to read pop and jazz chord charts, as well as how to turn those chord charts into fully arranged music. I can also teach improvisation and the skills that are required to play specific styles of music in a professional band.
For my younger guitar students I have a variety of beginner material I have collected over the years, but for my older students I prefer to work on songs of their choice.
My beginner woodwind students will work with a Yamaha method book, while older students can learn improvisation and theory if they like.
I also can lead Orff styled tuned percussion ensembles. The Orff style of music performance allows for students from entirely mis-matched musical backgrounds to play music together, even on their first day of class.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Many keyboards, guitar, bass guitar, saxophone, flute, and four Orff tuned percussion instruments.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide multiple keyboards, a guitar, saxophone, flute and 4 Orff style tuned percussion instruments, as well as countless books and literature.
*** Specialties ***
I play keyboards professionally in jazz, RnB, rock, reggae, Latin rock and other styles. I can help the student who has only had traditional lessons branch out and learn how to read chord charts, which in turn teaches them theory.
I am a certified Orff teacher as well.
Teach after-school keyboard lessons.
Conduct after school music programs for young people learning keyboards, saxophone, flute or guitar.
Conduct after school keyboard classes.
I have played in a wide variety of professional bands over the years performing RnB, rock, reggae, jazz, blues and other styles.
Some of the artists I have worked with in the Memphis area include: C C Hill, Bobby Lawson, Steve and Patty Harper (Faultline), Memphis Blues Society Jam Band, Lisa G, Crazyflame, Jim Duckworth, The Memphis Snake Doctors, The Rustenhaven Band, Zazerac, Energy D, The Panther Burns and more.
Received training in conducting Orff music classes.
· Piano · In studio John does a great job and gets along great with the kids.
· Piano · In studio John was very good and very patient. I really think I am going to love this
· Piano · In studio John is a great teacher! This was my son's first piano lesson last night. He enjoyed it and also learned quite a bit during the half-hour session. My other son has been taking guitar lessons from John for over two years, and he has been a pleasure to work with during this time. We highly recommend him for lessons of various instruments!
· Guitar · In studio Very helpful. Lots of progress in a short period of time.
· Piano · In studio Great teacher! Extremely patience. Knew how to keep my son interested and engaged during his lesson. He loves playing the piano now.
· Piano · In studio I recently decided to get back into piano after not having played since I was much younger and started adult lessons with John and I've had a great experience so far! We started from the beginning and we've made some good progress! He's personalized my lessons so we've been able to skip most of the children's songs and melodies. I'm excited to continue my lessons!
· Piano · In studio My 9 year old son came from School of Rock, which was organized chaos, to now where John has implemented a real strategy for him to learn faster and to focus on reading notes. My son has retained his interest and is excelling under John's guidance. I would highly recommend John for students of all ages.
· Guitar · In studio John is Awesome! John adjusts his training style to the needs of the student and encourages along the way! After three lessons I honestly feel this is something I plan on pursing for the long run!
· · Patient
John have been very friendly and patient person .. He can teach my son a great music .. I am looking forward to see my son gets alot of skills and be a pro rock star!!
· · John is very helpful. I'm learning a lot.