John is a positive, knowledgable teacher and coach for anyone having/wanting to work in front of an audience or meeting, having to memorize text, analyze lines, sentences, plots and sell a story. Sessions search for paths to confidence as well as competence. A performer, director and teacher for over 30 years, I've studied teachers and students to learn that whatever frees a person to be comfortable with a task, and with the effort to develop skills, is a wonderful 'method'. We'd use movement, what-ifs, and references to life and death! And humor. Clients include a featured Narrator for SFGMC's winter show, an actor needing a monologue coach for her move to L.A., peninsula teens auditioning for their school musicals, and Bay Area youth and senior theater companies, and local community and professional performers. I taught high school drama while directing and acting in new and published plays and musicals in San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, Ross, Pacifica, New Haven and Los Angeles.
Taught and directed current professional performers including:
Rockmond Dunbar (TV's Love is a Four Letter Word, The Mentalist, Sons of Anarchy, Prison Break, Soul Food))
Anita Woodley (International Performer: Mama Juggs, The Men in Me),
Armond Dorsey (Vallejo Shakespeare Festival, UCSC's Rainbow Theater),
Genevieve Lee (TV's Grace and Sumitra, Two-Buck Chuck)
Coached actors in Jehnovah Carlisle’s film, "A Call to Grace", to demonstrate directing techniques for his Master class.
Audition Coach, drama and musicals, for young performers applying for scholarships, professional theatre and film schools, plays and clubs in San Mateo County.
Stage Director (Favorite Projects)
* Arlecchino’s Last Prank/Goodbye Cupid @ Left Coast Theater Company, S.F.
* Baby Christina/The Buck-Naked Church of Truth @ Left Coast Theater Company, S.F.
* Bernie Madoff in Hell @ San Francisco Theatre Festival, S.F.
* And Then There Were None @ Pacifica Spindrift Players, Pacifica,
* Twelve Angry Jurors @ Calvary Theater Group, S.F.
* Woman Who Flummoxed the Fairies @ Storytime Festival, Palace of Fine Arts, S.F.
* Oliver! @ Spindrift School of Performing Arts, Pacifica
* Go Kibbutz! @ S.F. Fringe Festival, Phoenix Theatre, S.F.
* Giving Voice @ Summer Youth Arts, St. Paulus Church, S.F.
* Forty Cents A Minute, Gerry’s Law, Rosabelle-answer-tell - 3 Bay Area 1-Act Festivals, Eureka Theatre, S.F.
* Raggedy Ann and Andy @ Performing Artists Group, City College, S.F.
* No Entrance @ CA Travel Troupe, Edinburgh Fringe, Scotland [5-star reviews!]
* Once On This Island, Oliver! @ Educational Theatre Company, San Mateo, CA
* The Heidi Chronicles, Ten Little Indians, Nourish The Beast @ New Fillmore Theatre Company, S.F.
* Play It Again, Sam! @ New Foundling Players, West Haven, CT
* I Can’t Remember by Maureen Studer @ Ross Valley Players RAW New Play Series, Ross, CA
* Fingers by Jon Brooks @ Playwrights Center of San Francisco. Title changed to "Shoot O'Malley Twice"
* Main Entry by Beth Soloway @ Playwrights Center of San Francisco
Second job, high school: Member, Junior Speakers Bureau, Coast Federal S&L, Los Angeles. Topic: "Rock 'n Roll and the American Way" Highest Rated Member, 3 years.
Teaching Accomplishments since:
Created on-going drama programs and performance series at two large urban high schools.
Trained dozens of students known to have been accepted to focused post-secondary theater and film programs, including AMDA - New York and Los Angeles, Southern Oregon University, American Academy of Dramatic Arts, University of Chicago, NYU, San Diego and San Francisco State Universities, and the University of North Carolina. Some of these, and others, are working professionally in stage, film and television.
Guided twelve of twelve International Baccalaureate Theater Arts students to achieving their desired IB certificate or diploma.
Coached acting students who were awarded Gold Medals at Hayward State’s Shakespeare Festival and Competition and the Ohlone College High School Arts Competition.
Worked with teachers on subject area teaching using drama techniques in English, history and Special Education classes.
Teaching performance skills and directing the school productions for:
* Del Mar Middle School, Tiburon, CA – "And Now for Something Completely Different: the Early Works of Monty Python"
* Ortega Elementary School, Pacifica, CA – "Story Theatre"
* San Francisco Elementary School, San Francisco, CA – "Peep, Peep!"
* Cabrillo School, Pacifica, CA – Theatre games and performance training.
Giving Voice Performing Arts Program, St. Paulus Church, San Francisco, CA
* Mentored drama teacher and collaborated with music and dance teachers to develop multi-cultural performing arts training program for 7-15 year-old youths in San Francisco’s Tenderloin district.
Designed and directed public performance for this pilot program.
Drama I-IV, IB Theatre Arts, Academic Literacy, Sequoia High, Redwood City, CA.
* Developed and delivered standards-based instruction using performance, literature, culture studies and technical training in theatre arts as a means for expression, questioning, critical thinking, understanding and planning for the future.
Directed 14 student musicals and plays, coached acting competitions, and consulted on school events inside and outside the theater space.
Taught study, inquiry and writing skills to at-risk students and motivated them to prepare for high school academics.
* Plays: The Outsiders, Custodians of Love, Nothing But The Truth, The Wonderful Adventures of Don Quixote, Once On This Island, Twelve Angry Women, Big, Working, An Evening of Peace, Leader of the Pack
Educational Theatre Company, San Mateo, California.
*Developed a four-month program of Actor Training and rehearsal and directed OLIVER! for new and veteran actors, aged 6-70, leading to production in San Francisco.
Developed summer-long Actor Training Intensive for youth 6-19 and directed ONCE ON THIS ISLAND for this non-profit family theater company in San Mateo.
Drama and English Teacher at Oakland Technical High School, Oakland, California.
* Developed and delivered PAIDEIA English linked to Drama classes to broaden student discussion of literature. Conducted project-based training using developmentally appropriate material and practice.
Produced 14 plays and musicals, Brown Bag Theatre, assembly skits and sketches, Parent Night for intermediate and advanced students.
Developed college preparatory, literature-based curriculum with emphasis on writing and critical thinking skills in sophomore and junior English and Creative Writing classes.
* Plays: The Sting, Harvey, The Curious Savage, Guys and Dolls, Twelve Angry People, Promises, Promises, Up the Down Staircase, Purlie, Langston, Play On!
First job, age 9: Singing in "Heart of Darkness", by Joseph Conrad for Playhouse 90 on CBS, starring Boris Karloff, Roddy McDowell, Eartha Kitt and Inge Swenson.
(Favorite Roles since then)
* Twelfth Night as Sir Andrew Aguecheek @ Vallejo Shakespeare Festival, Vallejo and Martinez, CA
* The Exonerated in Multiple Roles for Teatro Vagon @ Theatre Brava, San Francisco
* Annie Warbucks as Oliver Warbucks @ Educational Theater Company, Cañada College
* Cinderella as King Maximillian @ Pacifica Spindrift Players
* Bus Stop as Virgil Blessing @ Pacifica Spindrift Players
* The Creation as God @ Diego Rivera Theatre, CCSF, David Parr, Director
* Henry IV, Part 1 as Earl of Worcester @ Alien Corn, Next Stage Theatre, San Francisco
* Purlie Victorious as Cap’n Cotchipee @ Multi-Ethnic Theatre, San Francisco
* Trouble In Mind as Al Manners @ Black Repertory Group, Berkeley
* A Chorus Line as Zack @ Laney Community Theatre, Oakland
* Langston as White Man @ Oakland Summer Theatre, Oakland
* Working as Lovin' Al @ Carrington Hall, Redwood City
* To Be Young, Gifted and Black in Multiple Roles @ Multi-Ethnic Theatre, San Francisco
* The Heidi Chronicles in Multiple Roles @ New Fillmore Theatre Company, San Francisco
* Mercury Panic! as Chief of Detectives for Duo-Vision, Japanese TV
* Arriba! Industrial Film as Featured character for In-Vision Communications, Walnut Creek, CA
* A Tale of Two Restaurants. Industrial Film as Featured character for Omega Productions, Mill Valley, CA
* Two New Dogs. Independent Film, Featured character as Mr. Anderson - teacher, Sun Kim Producer/Director
* From the Inside. Independent Video as Featured character - teacher Mr. Hamner - Bass/Francis Group, Los Angeles
* What It Is! Educational Video as Lead - a potential client - Group 3 Productions, San Francisco
* Made in America, Featured Extra. Richard Benjamin, Director
* The New Centurions, Featured [cut :( ] Columbia Pictures.
* Movement and Improvisational Mime Ensemble. New Haven, CT.
A touring mime company
* A Worker Reads History. Reader, Dancer. Theatre That. New Haven CT
* Subject to Change. Collaborator, Coach, Editor, Actor, Narrator for this original production as a Benefit for the New Haven Rape Crisis Center.
* Recital and Public Performer (Vocalist): New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Berkeley, New Haven, Portland ME, Austin TX, Oakland
This became a required designation under the No Child Left Behind program proving study, accreditation, and competency in one's field.
Cross-cultural, Language, and Academic Development certification is required of California teachers, and has been valuable for my classes with English Language learners from Bolivia to Laos, and China to Iceland.
Authorization to teach English (Academic Literacy, writing, literature) and Drama classes.