- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a 35 year old professional musician, and Instructor. I teach Trumpet, French Horn, and singing. I have 25 years experience playing trumpet, French Horn and Singing and play in several groups around the San Diego area including:
The New City Sinfonia (Chamber Orchestra)
The Amalgamated, (a Ska/Reggae Band)
Full Strength Funk Band
Heartland Brass Ensemble
Trumpets R Us
Filarmonica Portuguesa Uniao De San Diego
Tierrasanta Lutheran Church,
Elk Tones Big Band
Dim The Lights Disco Tribute Band
I am very passionate about music, from learning to teaching, practicing, performing and recording. Every day my goal is to promote music, learn, practice and help people enjoy music either by listening or performing.
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons will start with good solid warm-up exercises focusing on breathing and proper technique for Brass playing.
The 2nd part of lessons will be technique, Scales and method books for trumpet and french horn.
The last part of lessons will be working on Solo repertoire and learning songs for performance, sight reading, playing duets and learning jazz improvisation if interested. Lessons will include sight reading, play along/sing along CD's Scales and technique as well as theory.
For my Trumpet Students I use Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies Book to help improve aerobic endurance, technical and finger velocity as well as production of good tone quality. I will also use the Earl Irons Group of 27 exercises as well as the Max Schlossberg Method to help improve air flow, breathing control and fluidity of sound throughout all registers. I also use the J. B. Arban's Conservatory method for other techniques including scales, double and triple tonguing, intervals as well as duets and solo repertoire.
For jazz minded students I will start with basic fundamentals of improvisation including melodic improv, Blues forms and blues scales as well as reading through chord changes and playing in several modes and other scales used in jazz.
I also provide tailored instruction on Bugling, and the proper playing of military bugle calls for those students interested as well as those involved with Boy Scouts who wish to earn their Bugle Merit Badge.
For my French Horn Students I will use the same technique books as Trumpet but learning traditional French Horn Solo repertoire, as well as Brass quintet/choir repertoire and orchestral and concert repertoire. Focus for French Horn students will be mainly on control of partials and tuning techniques.
For my Voice students I will start with good breathing technique and warm up exercises designed to get the vocal chords warmed up and get all the other muscles relaxed in order to produce great tone quality. Focus will be on intonation, and learning to use the air and support to extend the vocalists range higher and lower as well as gain power and confidence in singing.
Each Vocal student will have a piece to practice or will bring a piece of their choosing in that they would like to learn and this will be used to apply the techniques learned at the beginning of lessons. Styles of singing that I sing and can teach are Classical, Jazz, Big Band and Standards, Oldies, Pop, Country, Soul, Rock, R&B, Christian Rock and Church Music and also harmonizing like in a duet style or choir/vocal ensemble setting. I will also teach performance techniques, showmanship, stage presence and the overall performance package every singer needs to have confidence while singing.
I am a classically trained musician on Trumpet, French Horn and Voice and reading music, articulations, dynamics and learning musical forms is an essential part to any performers success. I also have studied various jazz styles and improvisational techniques as well. I want to teach students the basics of good musicianship and help them to excel in learning, practicing and performing in their own selected styles of music, whether its classical music, or jazz/rock/pop/country and any other styles students are interested in.
For Academic students who need tutoring I have a very extensive background in history, specifically focusing on US History, Military History, and the study of different eras including major war eras. Academic tutoring can be geared towards the understanding, comprehension and critical thinking understanding of the subject matter, as well as research, essay writing, as well as public speaking and project presentation.
For Tennis Students, I focus on the basics from footwork, to basic swing mechanics as well as strategy. Tennis lessons can be geared to develop specific areas of the game of tennis, or an overall game improvement whether for those who want to be competitive, or just enjoy a friendly game more.
*** Studio Equipment ***
My main teaching location is my private studio in Spring Valley and at the Ramona Music Center in downtown Ramona for students in the area. I have all items needed including music stands, CD player for play along programs as well as an upright piano.
*** Travel Equipment ***
When traveling I can bring my own personal music stand and electric keyboard with stand as well. Technique and song repertoire and theory books I can provide when needed.
*** Specialties ***
Classical, Jazz, Reggae, Ska, Pop, Rock, Hard Rock, Funk, Soul, R&B, Blues, Church/Worship.
Teaching Assistant for Director of Bands for the Mesa College Concert Jazz Band, Kearny Mesa Concert Band and Mesa College Pep Band.
Trumpet and French Horn Coach for the Ramona High School Band Program
Musical Director and Vocal Coach for spring 2014 production of "The Wizard of Oz"
Includes certification in Basic Musicianship, Music Theory, Ear Training, Basic Piano.
· Trumpet · In home great first lesson!
· Bugle · In home So far so good! Adam had a great first lesson! Thank you, John!
· Trumpet · In home JR is excellent in assessing a student's skill level. Once he has determined it he immediately begins challenging the student with fun drills that focus in on improving areas where the student is struggling. Not a moment of the lesson is lost, everything is focused on moving to the next challenge - although patiently.
· Singing · In studio Very relaxed atmosphere, no pressure. Looking forward to next lesson.
· Trumpet · In home John's a terrific instructor; personable, professional, and focused on teaching proper technique and music acquisition skills. He's working with our 3rd year student. Highly recommend him. He focuses on whatever music you are interested in learning. We couldn't be happier.
· Singing · In studio John is an amazing teacher and is great with my two young children. I highly recommend him!
· Singing · In home John is always on time. Very good with our son. He teaches the whole student about singing. He has helped our son to love singing out more than ever which has really helped our son's confidence. We highly recommend using John as a singing coach.
· Singing · In home Very patient, optimistic, and friendly. I highly recommend this instructor who's very flexible when it comes to scheduling.
· · Have throughly enjoyed each lesson with John. His skill, knowledge, and personality make the lessons enjoyable, informative, productive, and fun! I appreciate his willingness to help me reach my goals and structure our lessons around that. I would recommend John to anyone!!!
· · Great, Confident and Knowledgable Instructor!
In the short amount of time I've worked with John, he has really helped me to understand the instrument, how my body and my breath effect pitch and has really helped me to overcome my concerns with picking up the Trumpet after 10 years of not playing. He relates music to me in a way that makes it understandable and encourages me to better my playing. Great instructor! Highly recommended!