- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Males 6 to 40
Dear students and parents,
Hello and welcome to takelessons.com! My name is Jessica and I am a Baltimore born and bred classically trained violinist with over 19 years of playing experience. Music has always been passion of mine since a very young age, so it was inevitable that it would end up being my career. Naturally, a love for teaching the wonders of music followed suit!
I always try to form a great rapport with my students and parents from the very first lesson. For younger students, I encourage my parents to take an active part in both lessons and daily practice, as is encouraged by Shinichi Suzuki.
I've been teaching violin and viola professionally for over 10 years now. My experience includes teaching private lessons at students homes as well as at various music schools, summer camps and festivals. A few advanced students have even attended and performed in some of these aforementioned festivals! I am always encouraging my students to go above and beyond.
A bit of background about me: I started my music studies at the age of 7. Lessons and orchestra were literally the highlight of my childhood. I ended up attending the Baltimore School for the Arts for high school, and eventually went on to receive my Bachelor of Music Performance degree from Shenandoah University and complete further studies in England and Northern Ireland. I am also a registered Suzuki Violin/Viola teacher and have attended several teachers workshops in order to gain the knowledge and experience necessary to work with any and all types of students, including those with learning disabilities, such as ADD and FAS.
*** Lesson Details ***
While I am a registered Suzuki violin teacher, I do not teach solely out of a certain method or "by the book"; I choose and mold every lesson depending on specific, strengths, weaknesses, etc. If you are a more advanced, serious player, more intensive lessons and repertoire will follow suit.
I am comfortable teaching all ages and levels up to advanced. Use of games make learning the violin fun and accessible for young children. Older and more advanced students receive a more technical, intensive and advanced approach. Coaching and weekly help on school assigned materials (orchestra/string class music and homework) Classical, Jazz, Gypsy and Fiddle styles are all introduced and studied to give students a rounded technique. Music theory (reading and understanding music) is incorporated in lessons. Repertoire is diverse and exciting. Various approaches for the visual or aural learner. Guaranteed to keep you or your child engaged and interested!
*** Travel Equipment/Home Lesson Details ***
-Please have a music stand available and set up for lessons that take place in your home.
-If you are coming to my home for lessons, please be sure to bring your instrument and any books you may already have.
**Please note, there are three cats and a small, affectionate and very friendly Papillon in the house. They are all isolated to a different part of the house during lessons to ensure there are no unnecessary distractions and to help minimize potential allergies (studio is also sprayed with allergy reducer spray and vacuumed regularly). All are UTD on shots. Please call and ask to reschedule a "trial" lesson to see if the animals interfere with allergies.
I have a trial 1/2, 3/4 & 4/4 size violin to use for the first lesson.
After the first lesson I will send an email explaining what materials and equipment I recommend you buy to help you sound your best.
Places to rent or buy instruments will be recommended upon request.
*** Cancellation/Reschedule Requests ***
1) At least 24 hours notice is required if you need to cancel your, or your child's, lesson. You will be given the option to take a credit that will automatically roll over to cover future unpaid lessons on your calendar, or the option to reschedule for a different day within two weeks of the canceled lesson.
2) If you find that you need to cancel with less than 24 hours notice (I completely understand life happens, and sometimes it is unavoidable to provide 24hr notice), you will be given the option to make up your lesson within 7 calendar days of your originally scheduled lesson time. If you cannot do a makeup lesson, this will result in the lesson being marked as "missed" and will still be charged as if you attended the lesson.
3) If you do not show up to your lesson scheduled at my home studio on Tilmont Ave and no notice was given, the lesson will be marked as "missed" and will still be charged as if you attended the lesson. This also applies to "in-home" lessons-- if you are not home when I arrive and no notice was given, this will result in the lesson also being marked as "missed" and will still be charged as if you attended the lesson.
4) If I need to reschedule or cancel a lesson for whatever reason, you will be given an option for a makeup lesson or given a credit that will automatically roll over to cover future unpaid lessons.
5) I require two weeks notice if you would like to discontinue lessons.
*** Specialties ***
Suzuki Violin/Viola Method
Music Theory Tutor
Genres: Classical, fiddle, gypsy, jazz.
Experience teaching ages 3-Adults.
Teaches string group classes (violin, viola & cello) to students in the Lower School.
Weddings, Gala Events, Cocktail Hours
Private Lessons; ages 5 through 18.
Lessons privately taught in home; ages 4-adult.
Private Lessons; ages 4 through Adult
Private lessons; ages 5-adult.
Private/Group Lessons, ages 6 through adult.
Violin lessons, minor repairs on instruments, substitute teaching for absent teachers, ensemble coaching.
The American String Teachers Association, founded more than 60 years ago, is a membership organization for string and orchestra teachers and players, helping them to develop and refine their careers. ASTA's members range from budding student teachers to artist-status performers. The organization provides a vast array of services, including instrument insurance, an award-winning scholarly journal, discounts on publications and resources, annual professional development opportunities, and access to collegial network of colleagues throughout the string profession.
The Suzuki Association of the Americas (SAA) is a coalition of teachers, parents, educators, and others who are interested in making music education available to all children. The SAA provides programs and services to members throughout North and South America.
· Violin · In studio Jessica was great. My daughter was so happy that she learned so much just on the first session that she literally cried.
· Violin · In home Ms. Jessica is just awesome! She understands students, sets high expectations, and gives students what they need to meet those expectations. My 6yr old daughter looks forward to her violin lesson every week and feels inclined to practice during the week. I wholly attribute my daughter's attitude and outlook toward the violin to Ms. Jessica's teaching!
· Violin · In studio As an adult student, Jessica is very patient with me and my slower learning pace. Her methods are very practical and helpful. Definitely recommend!
· Violin · In home Very kind, patient, knowledgeable instructor. Thanks for your guidance!
· Violin · In studio My first lesson went very well. I already feel more confident and excited to learn more. Jessica is extremely nice and relaxed. She is great at tailoring the lesson to the students needs.
· Violin · In studio Great first lesson! I feel enthused and ready to practice!
· Violin · In home I thought the lesson was perfect. Jessica is a natural with the violin and with people. I'm looking forward to learning more. Thank you!
· Violin · In home 1st lesson went very well.
· Violin · In home Jessica is a wonderful instructor and made my daughter's first lesson a memorable one. We are very lucky to have found her! My daughter likes her and enjoyed the experience. I hope that everything works out and the lessons continue for a LONG time :)
· Violin · In studio My sister in law really liked her. Said she is very positive and helpful.