Hello! Thanks for checking out my profile. Please feel free to ask me any questions. -Jessica
Jessica is known worldwide for her music which incorporates her original comedy, artwork and videos. She spent a decade touring the US and the UK and has performed in many festivals including the Reading & Leeds Festival, Latitude Festival, Montreal Comedy Festival, Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Dublin Comedy Festival, End of the Road Festival, NY Funny Songs Festival, NY International Children’s Film Festival and more.
Jessica’s music and comedy is inspired by being the oldest of 6 girls and growing up in a small town in Maine, where she taught Sunday school and counseled teens and twins in a local after school program for four years. When Jessica was 19, she moved to Philadelphia to study animation after receiving a partial scholarship to the Art Institute of Philadelphia, and relocated to NYC shortly after graduating.
Her unique music, performances, art and internet videos have won many awards and critical acclaim.
She has performed her music and written segments and songs for television (including ABC’s “Good Morning America”, MTV’s “I Bet You Will”, Fox News “Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld”, IFC's "Comedy Music Hall of Fame", HGTV's Flea Market Flip, TBS’s “Saving Grace” website and “The Tyra Banks Show”), radio (including "The Dr. Demento Show", "The Jackie Martling Show", WFMU's "Spreading Yourself Thin with Jessica D" and “The Opie and Anthony Radio Show” on SiriusXM, BBC’s “Loose Ends Radio Programme” and BBC’s “The Simone Show” in the UK), feature films (including “What Would Jesus Buy?” directed by Morgan Spurlock), commercially for major clients and also on stages across the US and the UK (including London’s prestigious Soho Theatre, NYC’s Irving Plaza, Joe’s Pub and The Bowery Ballroom as John Waters’ opening act, and LA’s Troubadour).
*** Lesson Details ***
Jessica brings a lot of fun to her lessons. She is like a cool aunt or a big sister who likes to have a good time but who also wants to teach you to play guitar or ukulele and sing, hopefully at the same time. Jessica's laid back style and attention to your needs as a student will help you reach your goals, whatever they may be. Together, you will go as fast or as slow as is comfortable for you. Jessica works with classic rock, pop, folk and all your favorite songs as your step ladder for learning. Jessica also can help you develop your own musical style and teach you to write YOUR OWN SONGS from beginning to end, if that is of interest to you.
*** Studio Equipment ***
amp, microphone, keyboard, guitar, ukulele, music stands
*** Travel Equipment ***
Guitar and Ukulele. Students can rent instruments initially but must get their own, as soon as possible
*** Specialties ***
Classic stringed instruments such as acoustic / electric guitar and ukulele, and several unusual instruments such as singing saw and electronic and standard autoharp, singing, songwriting and guidance on how to monetize your band, including acquiring sponsorships and arranging local and international tours.
***What Are Lessons Like?***
Student(s) and teacher sit together and start with the basics, then move on to learn others' songs (The Beatles or other classics are a good place to start) and then may even try to compose original songs, if that is of interest.
Women In Music
The Recording Academy, Associate Member
Comedy Musician's Coalition
My music & performance studio is a 500 sq ft dedicated space that is used as a music school by day and a performance space at night including live music, comedy and other acts. There, you will learn to play guitar, ukulele and sing or focus on the skills you've already acquired. There is a stage and full sound system, and student showcases are a regular part of the calendar.
I teach young musicians, ages 12 - 15 to play guitar, ukulele and sing individually and as part of a group setting.
I sporadically teach groups of upwards of 15 students to play the ukulele and guitar and different locations of New York Public Library branches around NYC.
Celebrating music through the GRAMMY Awards for more than 50 years, The Recording Academy continues its rich legacy and ongoing growth as the premier outlet for honoring achievements in the recording arts and supporting the music community. The GRAMMYs are the only peer-presented award to honor artistic achievement, technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales or chart position.
Women In Music is a non-profit organization with a mission to advance the awareness, equality, diversity, heritage, opportunities, and cultural aspects of women in the musical arts through education, support, empowerment, and recognition. Our seminars, panels, showcases, achievement awards, and youth initiatives celebrate the female contribution to the music world, and strengthen community ties.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Ukulele · In studio Really enjoyed my first lesson. I got a lot of applicable tips for my future processing. Jessica is very talented. Hoping my next set of lessons so be just as promising!
· Ukulele · In studio Jessica is a virtuoso on the ukulele. She has the patience of a saint with less than adept students. Yet she is insistent, in a gentle way, about instilling correct form in her students' approach to the uke. In addition, she is a walking encyclopedia of songs that span the range from traditional to standards to current day favorites, and from country to r&B to rock and roll.
· Ukulele · In studio I am so fortunate to have found Jessica to teach the Ukulele. She is sweet, kind and truly a pleasure. very unassuming yet so focused on my particular needs when I lose my way. I strongly recommend her. I am so fortunate. Wait, did I say that already? Thank you Jessica.
· Ukulele · In studio Jessica has been teaching both my kids for a few years. She started with my daughter at age 4 on ukulele and my son started guitar at age 6. They are now 10 and 8 and take lessons weekly.
Jessica is patient and kind and really gets to know each student. She keeps track of lessons weekly, prints out music, and gives the kids clear weekly practice assignments. She brings her own love of music to the lessons and songs range from classics to contemporary songs.
While caring for her newborn we also had the opportunity to take lessons from a few other musicians who work for Jessica. They were both great. Daniel, in particular, is a thoughtful teacher who supplements the kids' lessons with audio files for them to practice to.
I highly recommend the Unicorn and Jessica.
· Guitar · In home Jessica is amazing. She is a brilliant and patient teacher, and I don't hesitate to recommend her to anyone who wants to learn how to play guitar or ukulele like a master.
· Ukulele · In studio great teacher who makes you comfortable learning at a beginners level. she knows her stuff and explains it so well. i loved my class with jessica!!
· Ukulele · In studio I took several lessons with Jessica, and is is clearly knowledgable about the uke, however she made it clear that she was annoyed that I was taking 30 minute lessons, rather than longer lessons. This made it uncomfortable. She also forgot to show up for my lesson twice, so I ended up discontinuing the lessons and finding another teacher.
· Ukulele · In studio I've been playing the ukulele for about two years, but I wanted to level up. Jessica is an amazing teacher - she gives tips and hints on how to improve, and provides a very supportive environment.
· Ukulele · In studio Jessica is very knowledgable, encouraging, patient and fun. She obviously loves to teach and has been the perfect ukelele instructor for me. Jeannie
· Guitar · In studio Jessica is a great instructor who is passionate about teaching her students and is passionate about music . Very encouraging to students that are new to guitar .