Jessica C., a native of Charleston, SC, has a Master of Music degree in vocal performance from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her recent performances include Fiddler on the Roof (Lamb’s Players), the world premiere of Life in the Park (14th Street Playhouse, Atlanta, GA), The Full Monty and The Pirates of Penzance at the Lawrence Welk Resort Theatre. Other California credits include Hello Dolly (Starlight), Swingtime Canteen (Moonlight), Godspell (Lamb’s Players), and Fiddler on the Roof (Sierra Repertory Theatre). Jessica has also been a featured soloist in Las Vegas appearing in Jerry Springer, The Opera (MGM Casino’s Hollywood Theatre), and enjoyed an extended run as the principle vocalist in Jubilee! (Bally’s Casino). Other regional credits include Into the Woods (Fulton Opera House), Beauty and the Beast (Broadway Palm Theatre), The Pajama Game and Christmas from the Heart (Dutch Apple Theatre), Fiddler on the Roof and Young Abe Lincoln (Lincoln Amphitheatre), Sunday in the Park with George (Strollers Theatre), and The Sound of Music (Oregon Straw Hat Players). She has been a soloist and guest lecturer with the Madison Savoyards, UW-Madison’s Early Music Ensemble, Madison Music in Performance Series, Charleston Community Orchestra, and the Piccolo Spoleto Festival. Jessica has been seen in numerous commercials in the Las Vegas and Los Angeles area. She currently resides with her husband, Jordan Miller, in San Diego where they run a vocal and acting studio. Jessica is a pround member of AEA and SAG-AFTRA.
During her academic studies Jessica concentrated on the bel canto technique and learning to sing in a multiplicity of classical styles, such as, Renaissance madrigals; Baroque cantatas and ornamentation; German, French, Italian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish art songs; and opera from 1600 to the present. After completing her doctoral exam review, she began to work professionally in the world of musical theatre and has not had a moment to breathe since that time.
*** Lesson Details ***
I'm a very flexible teacher that wants to know what your goals are as a voice/music/acting students. Once I know your goals, I use all of my knowledge and experience to help you meet your goals. We work together as a team! I do not require a specific text book for lessons, since I have a large library of my own from which to pull repertoire and texts. I have taught and coached professional opera singers to children as young as 5 years old in private lessons and group classes. I would love the opportunity to teach you!
*** Travel Equipment ***
I will provide a keyboard and CD player. My students do not need to provide anything.
*** Specialties ***
I am trained in the classical bel canto technique of singing. I have taught and worked professionally in opera, operetta, musical theatre and jazz, as well as, acting.
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
An American labor union representing over 160,000 film and television principal and background performers, journalists, and radio personalities worldwide.
· Singing · In studio I met jessicaC in my home today
She was great both in content and insight she quickly summed up thstbi was an intermediate student after listening to various runs of music and watching somebody mg videos
She is close to my home and that's a Great advantage
I am very hopeful that Jessica will really help me hit my high notes soon and up my game
· Singing · In studio She is very understanding and patience with people who are just starting. She is proffessional and pushes you when you need to be pushed to progress further.
· Singing · In studio My daughter Breann and I were extremely excited after her first lesson. Jessica is exactly what we were looking for. Professional, could make anyone comfortable and is someone my daughter can look up to.
· Singing · In studio Jessica is very pleasant to work with. She understood what my goals were and she right away created a path for me to follow. I have learned valuable points in singing to be aware of since I have been working with Jessica.
· Singing · In studio My 11 year old daughter has been working with Jessica for several months now. She is amazing!!! My daughter just started doing musical theatre at school and I wanted a singing coach to help her to feel more comfortable on stage. Jessica not only has helped her with singing, but has coached her with monologues for auditions with the San Diego Junior Theatre. My daughter had her first audition with SD Junior theatre and because of the wonderful support and direction of Jessica, she was called back for a lead role...this on her first audition. My daughter was not cast as the lead, but was cast in the play. Jessica has given my daughter much more confidence to perform and speak in front of people, even if she never becomes a serious actress. This will help her in any career she chooses. I would highly recommend Jessica to anyone looking for a highly qualified and professional teacher. Every time we leave her private tutoring session, my daughter always says " I love her!!!"...not kidding.
· Singing · In studio Jessica is absolutely brilliant!
Her method has done what I can only describe as "unlocking" abilities.
Her friendly yet diligent explanation of techniques activated and energized my body in ways I've never experienced -- like some sort of soundwave-based yoga. I barely recognize myself when this bold sound blasts forth stoked by her encouragement -- It borders on the transcendent, but mostly it just feels amazing and is tremendous fun!
Otherwise, Jessica herself has the voice of an angel -- and she's also incredibly smart, patient, precise, knowledgeable, encouraging, sweet, interesting, charming, eclectic, funny, super-talented, and generally lovely.
I knew I was out of my league in asking such a seasoned, classically-trained pro for help perfecting my rock n' roll grit, but she can effortlessly condense her formidable wealth of knowledge into succinct pearls of wisdom to toss to swine like me. She is a much better teacher than I deserve, but I am nonetheless incredibly grateful and thankful for every hour I spent with her.
I'll be recommending Jessica to everyone I know and will keep coming back whenever I can.
I'm sure you'll love her too!