- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I have lifelong love of the violin. My goal is to share that love of music with every one of my students, and to help inspire my students to become well-rounded and passionate musicians!
I currently teach students aged 7 through adult. I teach at MacPhail Center for Music, and at MacPhail partnerships at Harvest Preparatory Academy, the FAIR School Downtown, and the MacPhail Northside Youth Orchestra. I previously taught group violin at El Sistema Minnesota. These programs aim to promote social change through music education.
My approach to violin teaching is positive, collaborative, and holistic. I specifically tailor lessons to the individual needs of each student and really take the time to learn about each student’s musical goals and interests. I aim to create a positive, supportive environment, where every student, no matter age or ability, can feel free to express their creativity.
I earned my B.A. in 2014 from St. Olaf College, where I studied both music and neuroscience. My background in music is largely collaborative, having played extensively as a chamber musician, an orchestral musician, an accompanist, and a soloist. I strongly value giving constructive criticism in a positive and understanding way. I know how hard it can be to learn an instrument, and I fully respect that!
My background in teaching also includes music theory and music history, which is an essential part of understanding the music that we play. I began teaching in 2009 as the founder of J&J’s Music Camp, whose mission is to educate young people about music history, theory, and repertoire in a fun and engaging way. Since then, I have taught violin privately, have worked as an instructor in Theory and Aural Skills at St. Olaf College, and have worked as an Instructor of Music Theory at the Portland Youth Philharmonic, where I formerly served as Associate Concertmaster.
I have also held positions as a first violinist in the Portland Columbia Symphony Orchestra and the Newport Symphony Orchestra, and have served as Associate Concertmaster of the St. Olaf Orchestra, winner of the 2013 American Prize. In addition, I was a soloist on the St. Olaf Orchestra’s National Tour in 2012, and am the recipient of the Oregon Music Hall of Fame Scholarship and the Thursday Musical Young Artists Scholarship. Perhaps some of the most meaningful work I have done is in chamber music, as a violinist in the Bridge City Quartet and the St. Olaf Piano Quintet. These experiences truly developed my passion for collaboration and partnership in music, which is to me one of the most meaningful aspects of music. I truly believe that taking violin lessons is a partnership between teacher and student. As a teacher, I look forward to sharing my love of music with anyone who wants to explore their musicality and learn more about the beautiful instrument that is the violin. Thanks!
· Violin · In studio Fantastic instructor. I'm an adult just trying out violin for the first time, Jenny took the time to figure out what I wanted from the lessons and worked with my schedule to fit the lessons in. Only one class into my journey right now but there will be many more. Jenny is a great teacher, you won't be disappointed.
· Violin · Online My daughter really feels comfortable with her and enjoys the violin again.
· Violin · Online It was fun, informative and inspired me.
· Violin · Online My son , 14, loves it!
· Violin · Online Jenny is very attentive and quick to make appropriate suggestions. She seems like a very good teacher, and it is our good luck to have found her :)
· Violin · Jenny is an excellent musician and teacher. In her own playing she is expressive, musical, and technically expert. In her teaching, she communicates the importance of making interpretive choices and embracing one's own individual musical preference. I came away from each lesson I had with her feeling inspired! She is funny and encouraging, full of great ideas, friendly and approachable. Couldn't recommend her teaching enough, and she is so fun to work with.