- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- January 2008
I have been an avid teacher of Latin for the past six years. I graduated with a BA in Latin, and after spending a year teaching English in Thailand, I came back to teach Latin. I am certified in Latin, English, and ESL in one state and will soon be certified in another. I have taught both in public and private schools, and will be teaching Latin at a local private school next year. My favorite aspect of teaching is making the subject fun and accessible for every student. I am incredibly passionate about Latin and I regard it as a great intellectual challenge to help each student to be successful. I am experienced in tailoring my instruction to different learning styles as well as any learning difficulties. I look forward to getting to know you and sharing my love of Latin and English.+ Read More
• Implemented the lesson plans of each classroom teacher.
• Supervised each class and directed students in their work.
• Designed and implemented rigorous and engaging lesson plans for Latin I and II.
• Supported student success through extensive use of technology.
• Engaged in vertical teaming with the upper level Latin teacher to support AP Latin.
• Contributed to staff development by sharing best practices with technology.
• Sponsored Junior Classical League and more than doubled student membership.
• Founded the school’s chapter of National Latin Honors Society.
• Headed and expanded the Latin program for levels I – VI.
• Created engaging and effective lesson plans for all levels of Latin.
• Fostered student achievement through goal-setting, data collection, and strategizing.
• Mentored and collaborated with the half-time Latin teacher during the 2011 school year.
• Sponsored and grew the school’s Junior Classical League.
• Founded the school’s chapter of the National Latin Honors Society.
• Founded the Latin program and expanded it to include Latin III Pre-AP.
• Created learning teams to promote peer tutoring and higher-level exploration of concepts.
• Implemented high-yield teaching strategies and formative assessments.
• Founded and sponsored the school’s Latin Club and Junior Classical League.
• Founded the Latin program and created the curriculum for Latin I and II.
• Maintained student support and frequent parent interaction for each program.
• Instructed and prepared materials for two classes of Advanced English at a local high school.
• Taught three classes of differing levels with students ranging in age from 4 to 25 years old.
• Developed writing, speaking, and listening activities to promote creativity and fluency.
• Created engaging activities to promote English literacy for two beginner's classes.
• Created curriculum in conversational and business English for two private students.
• Wrote lesson plans and developed activities and materials for three English camps.
The American Classical League was founded in 1919 for the purpose of fostering the study of classical languages in the United States and Canada. Membership is open to any person who is committed to the preservation and advancement of our classical inheritance from Greece and Rome.+ Read More
My daughter has not only enjoyed learning Latin with Jennifer, but her interest in Latin has deepened due to Jennifer's wonderful instruction style. We feel very fortunate to have found such an amazing teacher.
Mrs. Jerger was the best teacher I had in High school! She taught in a way that was intriguing and made you want to understand the content. She included various games, activities, and different teaching strategies for each student to help them learn in a different way. There was never a dull moment in the classroom. Her constant positive attitude and love for teaching always put a smile on everyone's face. I took her class for 2 different years and enjoyed them both so much! I was also involved in the National Latin Honors Society that she created at my high school and thoroughly enjoyed that as well! I would recommend her 100% and would love to take more classes from her! She's awesome!+ Read More
Magistra Jerger, as we referred to her in my classes at Allatoona High School, is the best Latin teacher that I have ever had. In addition to this, she is one of the best teachers that I have had from all disciplines. She makes the subject fun and interesting, and allows her students to relate to the material. I have taken her Latin II, Latin III and Latin IV classes during my time in High School, and throughout all of them I can say that it was and interesting and enjoyable experience. One of the more enjoyable classes was Latin IV, where we translated Caesar in his conquest of the Gauls and Britons. We had assignments that were fun, interesting, and that helped to convey the material and the actions of what was going on in the translations.
In addition to taking Latin classes by Magistra Jerger, I also was involved in the Junior Classical League at Allatoona High School that she oversaw. During my Senior year at Allatoona, I was involved in the club as the Vice President where the leadership as well as Magistra Jerger organized Latin and Roman themed events that made the experience of being a student of Latin feel more enjoyable than other languages.
In short, Magistra Jerger is a dedicated, passionate teacher of Latin, who has a legacy of fine Latin students. Even after two years of graduating and continuing in college, without being able to continue studying Latin, I can pick up some of the texts and understand the language. This is because of the great teaching I had from Magistra Jerger. I recommend you to be her student if you want to not only understand the language, but also the culture, and enjoy doing so.