*** Travel Equipment ***
When I travel, they're expected to have an instrument, amp (if necessary) and note book.
*** Specialties ***
Having taught for so long I rely on my own experience as a musician, using my extensive knowledge of music theory and the guitar as an instrument to impart a heightened awareness and love of performance and the rewards of a disciplined and focused practice habit to my students. Whether a student wants to learn rock, blues, jazz, pop, folk or other genres, I give them key insights and the right approach to achieve his/her goal in the minimum amount of time. Practice is essential to growth.
I've played just about every kind of gig imaginable, some with world class performers. I have been teaching a wide variety of styles for decades and began teaching in my current location in 2016.
As a jazz performer I have been a side man on several CD's and put out my own well-reviewed CD of original Jazz compositions, Hurricane Watch, featuring master drummer, and author of the best selling book Bass Drum Control for 50+ years (first published in 1964), and has recorded and performed with Joe Pass, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Benny Goodman, Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee. Other drummers I have performed with include EDDIE MARSHALL (Toshiko Akiyoshi, Stan Getz, Bobby McFerrin, Bobby Hutcherson, Eddie Harris, Kenny Burrell, Smith Dobson, John Handy, Pharoah Sanders...)E.W. WAINWRIGHT (McCoy Tyner),
World class bassists I have worked with include PETER WASHINGTON (Tommy Flanagan, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, John Handy) JEFF CHAMBERS (Ahmad Jamal, Buddy Montgomery, Bobby Hutcherson) CHUCK METCALF (Dexter Gordon, Anita O'Day) CHRIS HAMBURGER (Cal Trader, Rosemary Clooney, Nancy Wilson).
I have worked with pianists MARK LEVINE (Cal Trader, Woody Shaw, Joe Henderson, Blue Mitchell, Dave Liebman; Mark is also the author of the highly acclaimed books, The Jazz Piano Book, and The Jazz Theory Book) BLISS RODRIGUEZ (Jose Feliciano), and Rob Aries (guitarist John Scofield).
· Guitar · In studio Jeff is awesome!
· Bass Guitar · In home I have been studying music theory & playing electric bass for almost two years on my own & reached intermediate level but have been feeling like I'm not getting anywhere, my first lesson Jeff has helped me understand a lot of things i had questions about ,is very good at explaining & teaching, i enjoy practicing my bass now & know i will learn a lot & play songs i hear in the future with Jeff's teaching & guidance.
· Guitar · In studio Jeff made me comfortable right away. He is very knowledgeable and had no problem figuring our what direction I want to go in.
· Guitar · In studio Jeff is very patient and caring. He is very knowledgeable and I believe with practice I will become great.
· Guitar · In studio Very helpful instruction! Looking forward to next week.
· Guitar · In studio Jeff is an awesome teacher who has probably forgotten more about proper guitar technique than most will ever know! He takes his time according to one's skills and learning abilities and makes guitar mysteries understandable. He is never hurried and makes certain the student is comfortable with each lesson before moving on. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro, his tutorage is without equal! One of his best attributes is styling your lessons to the music you desire to play!!
· Guitar · In studio Easy going,
· Bass Guitar · In studio I got off to a good start with Jeff
He is very knowledgeable and I really enjoyed the lesson
· Guitar · In studio I've been trying to learn guitar for 3 yrs. with both online lessons and teachers getting no where. Learning music theory was fine with me but I wasn't playing music. I would start and stop as my frustration levels went up and down. I started with Jeff about 5 weeks ago and he's taught me more and raised my enthusiasm beyond anything I would have accomplished the way I was going. I've wanted to play blues since I was a kid so he's taken what I've learned and laid down some great basics. The lessons are a blast and I'm playing the blues.
· Guitar · In studio My son has been taking lessons with Jeff for a year now and can honestly say he is one of the best teachers he has had. He not only teaches my son to play songs, but also teaches him how to read notes, the theory and history of music. My son enjoys and looks forward to meeting with Jeff for his lessons every week. And I extremely happy and thrilled to have found him.