- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- and Ages 13+
- Teaching since:
Hello, and thank you for having a look at my teaching profile. In addition to my active schedule as a mainstage performer (that bio is pasted a the bottom of this page) I also do a great deal of work in the schools as a Teaching Artist with both San Francisco Opera and Lamplighter's Opera Theatre. Teaching has always been a joy for me, both the academic study in my undergraduate and graduate studies and the practical lessons learned in two decades of singing professionally. Whither you are looking to feel more confident in a chorus, nail your next audition or just to enjoy the visceral thrill of making music with your voice I believe I have the tools to help you succeed. There tends to be a great deal of fun and laughter along the way as well...I am serious about the work (and will expect you to be as well) but science has shown time and again that play is the most efficient way to learn. In addition to the mechanics of singing we can develop character, do in depth text study and practice success audition techniques.
Because I am still an active performer my schedule is some what flexible, if you are interested in a lesson slot not currently marked as available, please let me know...I am certain something can be worked out.
● Develops and teaches, in three-session residencies, modular staging of three abridged productions, adaptable to different ages/singing abilities/cast sizes (20+ schools served
Bass baritone Jason has sung leading and supporting roles with Sacramento Opera, Opera San Jose, Opera San Luis Opisbo, Lamplighter's Music Theatre, Long Leaf Opera (NC), Island City Opera, Abilene Opera Association (TX), Opera Ft. Collins (CO), Berkeley West Edge Opera, Cinnabar Opera Theatre, Livermore Valley Opera and West Bay Opera. Among Jason's favorite roles are the title roles in Gianni Schicchi and Le Nozze di Figaro, Escamillo (Carmen), Marquis de Laforce (Dialogue of the Carmelites), Sparafucil (Rigoletto) and Sarastro (Die Zauberflöte). Recent concert repertoire includes Mozart's Requiem, Mozart's Coronation Mass , Saint-Saens Christmas Oratorio, Charpentier's Midnight Mass for Christmas, Vaughn Williams' Five Mystical Songs and Dubois' Seven Last Words of Christ. Jason is also a member of the San Francisco Opera Chorus, having sung with the company since 2004.+ Read More
● Instructs students in basic stagecraft while fostering a sense of pride and accomplishment, provides tools for overcoming self doubt and fear (OALC- 250+ performances)
● Performs for and with elementary children, introduces students to operatic stories, live singing, and the joys of being a part of the story telling (Sing A Story)- 300+ performances)
● Tailors existing dramatic material to the abilities of a specific group of children while giving an in depth perspective on the artistic process, historical setting, and story development over a 10 week period (Opera Jr’s pilot program, Magic Flute