Hi! My name is Janet, and I would like to be your new music lessons teacher! As a quick biography, I have 20+ years of experience teaching both piano and voice lessons. I have taught piano students from as young as 5 years old up to a wonderful lady who was a grandmother many times over, and voice students from 10 years old up to adults. I have taught students of all ability levels, from the most basic beginner to very advanced performers. I welcome you to come to my home studio. I have both a Bachelor of Science degree and a Master of Arts degree in Music from the University of Indianapolis. I retired in 2009 from teaching in the Indianapolis area public schools after 32 years of teaching elementary vocal/general/choral music. During the last 17 years of that time I was also teaching privately during the evenings and on Saturday.
As a student taking lessons with me, I will always put your desires as a musician first, and consider them to be the most important factor in guiding the progress of your lessons. While I will make basic assignments for you to practice for your next lesson, I am always open to including music that you would like to learn. If there is a particular style of music that you would like to study, or even a particular piece of music that you want to learn, please feel free to mention that to me, and I will do my best to find that music to add to your lessons. If at any time you have questions, requests, or comments, please either mention them to me at the lessons, or contact me by phone, text, or email.
I look forward to meeting you, talking with you about your desires and aspirations as a musician, and to guiding you and helping you to reach your goals.
*** Lesson Details ***
I will work with you to find the most convenient time for your lessons. Lessons are given in my home studio. While there will be basic material you will need to learn proficiently, you will be free to select the style of music you wish to study. I always tailor the lessons to suit the student's desires and aspirations as a musician.
*** Studio Equipment ***
office/studio space for lessons; spinet piano; electronic equipment available to play cassettes, CDs, videos, and DVDs either from my own library or yours to assist and/or augment the lessons
*** Travel Equipment ***
My piano students are expected to own either a 3-4 octave keyboard, or an acoustic piano. I can give you guidance regarding specific details you need to look for when you purchase an acoustic piano or a keyboard. I do not recommend specific manufacturer names. You will also be required to purchase any necessary materials (books, flashcards, etc.). I provide supplemental materials (teaching games, etc.).
*** Specialties ***
I use a variety of methods, mostly based on the goals of the students. For piano students, I prefer the Bastien Piano Basics method books. For voice student, I use a combination of methods developed by several different voice instructors.
I started Janet's Music and More in 2012. It is a combination of the piano and voice lessons which I have been teaching for over 20 years, plus pet sitting.
I taught private piano and voice lessons during the evenings and on Saturdays for over 20 years, in addition to teaching Elementary Vocal Music in the Indianapolis area public schools. In 2012, I expanded my business to incorporate other facets of what I do, and then changed the name to Janet's Music and More.
· Piano · In studio 1st Day...Good! She taught my son all the letters of the piano! She also is going to teach my son new things about the piano. Plus it involves homework to test and review what he knows and learned about the piano.
· Singing · In studio Janet is an excellent teacher and I was able to reap the benefits of her advice after just one season.
· Singing · In studio Thank you for teaching me how to sing!
· Piano · In home My experience with Janet was great. I had 5 lessons with her, which was enough to achieve my goals. She was very friendly and knowledgeable.
· Singing · In studio She was very prepared and experienced. She knows a lot about singing and can make you feel like you're learning something.
· Singing · In home She's very nice and my daughter just loved her to pieces!!!
· Singing · In studio The lessons are for my 15 year old daughter. She loved the lesson and really likes Janet. She's excited for the next lesson.
· Piano · In home Just had my first lesson and it went great! Janet is just the kind of teacher I was looking for. I am 67 and play the piano, but had not played in a long time. I want to get back to it and also learn some music theory which I never had. She is super nice, and makes you feel really relaxed. It was a very positive experience and I am looking forward to my lessons!
· Singing · great
I really love working with Mrs Janet,she is funny,patient, she loves her job.
· · So glad to have new experience
My teacher has given me great feedback and encouragement. I am glad I discovered your website and found someone in my area. This experience has been more than I would've expected and am delighted with the outcome.