I started my musical career at the age of 2, on the piano, shortly afterwards moving to the violin, and the viola. Earning the music scholarship at school for best classical musician, and later on the scholarship for best orchestral instrumentalist at the world renowned music conservatoire WAAPA (West Australia Academy of Performing Arts). Earning my first diploma (A.Mus.A) at age 14, my music has taken me all around the world. I've played such places as the Australian High Commission, Rheingoldhalle in Mannhein, Dvorak hall in Prague, Australian embassy in London, Disneyland in Paris, and the opening the Australian embassy in Berlin, all before the age of 18.
Most recently through my many musical endeavors, I have been granted a visa of extraordinary ability as musician to enter the United States.
Since then I have lead the LADSO viola section, played with the West LA Symphony Orchestra, played alongside Laryn Hill, a show presented by Quincy Jones, played in movie orchestras, recorded for studio sessions, performed electronic violin for private parties and nightclubs across the US.
*** Lesson Details ***
I have been teaching music since age 11. My mother is a concert pianist and I started off by teaching her students the violin. I have taught ever since and I love it. I have studied in Australia, Europe and the US.
I will help you create a fantastic technical base so you will be able to play with ease as your skill level develops, all while keeping the lessons fun and engaging.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Piano, Violin, Viola, Music Stand, General Teaching Aids, Recording Equipment.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide a music stand and basic materials but the student is expected to have their own instruments and to buy the music I recommend. I will help source and instruments and materials.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in classical music. I also teach other styles of music including improv, how to play pop music and can help you reach any musical goal. In Australia I used the AMEB syllabus. Which is the Australian examination system for music. I also teach Suzuki method and similar methods. I like creating a great foundation with a lot of exercises and scale patterns to really build up a solid base.
Playing Viola in the Orchestra
Lead Violist at the LA Doctors Orchestra. Brought in to help bring the Orchestra together
Music producer for my own YouTube Channel AussieJames
Electronic Violinist for hire. Have played in Hollywood at such clubs like Bootsy Bellows, Tru, Lure and many private parties
Play in many studios recording Violin, Viola and Piano lines for film and artists
I received my first Diploma in music at age 14. The School I went to held a special assembly in my honor.
· Piano · In studio James is a great teacher. I haven't practiced piano in years and James made it enjoyable and easy to get back into it.
· Violin · In studio After several lessons I should say we are very pleased with the teacher and his instructions style. My 12 year old is enthusiastic and waiting for his lessons every week.
· Violin · In studio Great first lesson!
· Violin · In studio He is really good. Exellent. I would recommend to anyone who really wants to learn violin.
· Violin · Online Had my first lesson yesterday! James is very patient and thorough in his way of explaining things. Very excited for lesson 2! So happy!
· Piano · In home James is really a wonderful piano instructor. Very knowledgable, up-beat and patient - the right combination of attributes to keep our 12 years' old son happy and engaged throughout his entire 45 minute session.
· Piano · In home Knowledgeable and affable. Great way of positioning things so you can pick up concepts easily. Highly recommend.
· Piano · In home Perfect first lesson. He gave me just enough info to feel comfortable and just enough homework to not overwhelm me.
· Violin · In studio James is great teacher! I have learned so much during one single class!
· Violin · In studio Good first lesson, excited for lesson 2