For years, amateurs and professional musicians have asked me to give lessons, but I was always touring or recording as a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist. Since I was a kid, I have travelled the world performing and recording with some of the biggest names in music (Shania Twain, Elton John, Kenny Loggins, BackStreet Boys, Steven Curtis Chapman, Alison Krause & Union Station, Broadway musicals). I have played on some of the biggest stages in the world and performed for millions including celebrities, dignitaries and royalty. At last, I am finally ready to share my knowledge with others.
Starting on the piano at age 5 and classically training on the university level by age 13, Hardy Hemphill started touring the world with music groups when he was 16, even skipping his own high school graduation ceremony to tour the US and Europe with an orchestra. Two weeks following that tour an independent theatre company hired Hardy to be their one-man orchestra pit utilizing a grand piano and a bay of synthesizers. After two years of touring the US, Berklee College of Music granted Hardy the Chick Corea scholarship where he was trained in jazz, arranging and studio recording. Hardy has used these skills in live and recorded settings. He left Berklee to resume touring and writing for many artists, off-broadway theatre groups and bands.
Along with composing for theatre, video, and television, Hardy Hemphill also toured with or recorded for numerous multi-platinum, Grammy-Award winning recording artists such as Shania Twain, Kenny Loggins, Rascal Flatts, Elton John, The BackStreet Boys, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Steven Curtis Chapman, Trini Lopez and many more. Hardy Hemphill has composed 6 musicals, 4 of which toured the US and Canada. He also had the privilege of composing the theme song to a television sitcom pilot in 1990. Hardy Hemphill recently produced my own debut solo CD on my own independent record label, entitled “Introducing Hardy.”
Some of Hardy Hemphill's TELEVISION APPEARANCES
Late Night with David Letterman: 4 appearances
Tonight Show with Jay Leno: 4 appearances
Grammy Awards: 1999
Superbowl halftime show: 2003
Rosie O'Donnell Show: 1999
NBC Today Show: 3 appearances
CBS Morning show: 1 appearance
Good Morning America: 1 appearance
Country Music Awards: 4 appearances
American Country Awards: 3 appearances
American Music awards: 2 appearances
CBS special with Shania Twain, Elton John & The BackStreet Boys
NBC special Live in Chicago
CBS UP Close and Personal with Shania Twain & Alison Krauss & Union Station
Shania Twain, Still The One, Live From Las Vegas (2015) (ABC)
BILLY SPRAGUE The Wind & The Wave (1993) Benson, Maranatha - keyboards
STEVEN CURTIS CHAPMAN GREATEST HITS (1997) EMI - Keyboards, piano, percussion & harmonica
THE APOSTLE (movie Soundtrack) (1998) UMG Recordings, Inc. - Percussion, vocals
THE JESUS RECORD (1998) Word Entertainment - choir
VH1 Divas Live (CD/ VHS) (1998) Sony - keyboards, vocals
STEVEN CURTIS CHAPMAN Speechless (1999) EMI - vocals & keyboards
SHANIA TWAIN - The Specials DVD (1999) Mercury - keyboards, percussion, harmonica, accordion, vocals
SHANIA TWAIN - LIVE DVD (1999) Mercury - keyboards, percussion, harmonica, accordion, vocals
SHANIA TWAIN - UP (Live in Chicago) DVD (2003)Mercury - keyboards, percussion, harmonica, accordion, & vocals
SHANIA TWAIN - UP Close and Personal DVD (2004) Mercury - percussion, vocals
STEVEN CURTIS CHAPMAN - The Abbey Road Sessions (2005) EMI - piano, percussion, harmonica
HARDY - INTRODUCING HARDY (2008) MidSummer Nights Dream, - composed, produced & performed
SHANIA TWAIN - Still The One, Live From Las Vegas (2015) DVD - keyboards, percussion, harmonica, accordion, vocals
· Piano · In studio Hardy is an enormously accomplished musician with great people skills and the ability to help any budding musician take their game to a whole new level. Highly recommended!!
· Piano · In studio If you want to take your next step in piano/keyboard playing, then I can’t recommend Hardy enough! Hardy is the real deal - truly a master of the piano himself in any genre you can think of. But more than that, Hardy assessed my abilities, we set realistic goals together, and plotted a course of action to make those goals become a reality. Can’t thank him enough!
· Piano · In studio I absolutely enjoy working with Hardy. I've been playing the piano for years but never had formal lessons. Hardy tailors the lessons so that I learn the fundamentals while playing some pretty cool stuff. I look forward to each session we have.
· Piano · I have have taken piano lessons from several different teachers. But there is no way to compare them with Hardy. His personal & professional experience, passion for music, broad expertise and personal approach is unlike anyone else. Whether you are an early learner or you have been playing piano for a while, you will be inspired and motivated to grow in your ability to play piano. He's the first person I would recommend to anyone who wants to take piano lessons.
· Piano · In studio Every time my son spends as much as 15 minutes with Hardy his playing improves. Hardy seems to know how to make the difficult achievable, and his method is packed with encouragement. We are very pleased.