- Teaches students:
- Ages 7+
- Teaching since:
My approach to music education can be summed up in this favorite quote by composer Robert Schumann - "It is music's lofty mission to shed light on the depths of the human heart".
I offer all aspects of music education including guitar, bass, ukulele, arrangers piano and recording technology and I promise accelerated results.
I am a an honor graduate of the prestigious Berklee College Of Music in Boston. During my studies there, I was awarded, for three consecutive years, high achievement scholarships.
At Berklee, I started my career in music education with being offered the position of Ear Training Laboratory Manager. Later, I put together an ensemble class for four guitars and rhythm section called 'The Baroque Jazz Quartet' which was added to the advanced electives offered by Berklee.
I'm also known for leading a workshop called the "Music Of Life Seminar". This work originated out of my collaboration with cellist and Senior Lecturer in Public Leadership, Ronald A. Heifetz who is the co-founder of the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard University.
I've studied privately with world-class musicians, the likes of; Tuck Andress on guitar, Kit Walker on piano. Herb Pomeroy for arranging, Mike Gibbs for composition, Mick Goodrick on guitar (ECM recording artist), the legendary Lenny Breau on guitar, Kai Eckhardt on bass, and in my formative years, Jazz great Charlie Byrd, among others.
I have played key roles in public performances with such notables as; acclaimed actress and singer Jill Eikenberry, keyboardist Raphael of the ‘Music To Disappear in’ fame, Grammy Award winning pianist Laura Sullivan, new age singer Sophia, among others. I have also performed in notable venues on both the East and West coast such as the Angelico Hall and the Berklee Performance Center.
I have co-produced, with producer Wayne Wallace of Bon Vivant Productions (Machete' Ensemble and Pete Escovedo Orchestra), my own album of instrumental music through the label Delvian Records called “Motion” were I was joined by some top players from the music community.
“When my students experience a greater and more inclusive sense of humanity and of their own and others beauty, I am filled up with joy. Imparting the energy and feeling of music creation is a shared experience of freedom unlike anything else. This is why I have a passion for music and music education”.
This seminar series is based in transformational learning; Originally delivered by Doctor Ronald A. Heifetz who is also the Senior Lecturer in Public Leadership, co-founder of the Center for Public Leadership at the John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, and co-founder of Cambridge Leadership Associates.
Inside a partnership with Mr. Heifetz’, I brought forth my own version of this unique and well attended work. I formed a small business operation featuring these seminars as the premier offering, eventually bringing the seminar to the West Coast.
The intention of these events is to provide a potent environment for performance expansion through the accessible use of music and theater.
• Contributed to the betterment of hundreds of peoples lives though the consistent delivery of this unique program
• Was awarded the opportunity to work with the design team that developed the Wellness Center for the Eastern Virginia Medical Authority by way of several top psychotherapists who attended a version of this experiential seminar I produced and lead in Virginia Beach
A privately held $80 million global Professional Training and Leadership Coaching organization. Vanto is recognized for having one of the best faculty in the business. Their programs have been in operation for more than twenty five years and directly touch more than one hundred and sixty six thousand lives each year.
Vanto's need was clear; a quicker, wider and faster distribution of digital training content that reached all the key leadership constituents.
• Chosen by executive staff to be key contributor to a company wide, seven year initiative to reinvent critical path business structures
• Was the first to successfully design and implement a high producing multimedia department for the Program Delivery Division that continues to be utilized in new and productive ways
• Received an award from top tier program leader group for consistently being a high contributor to company growth and development
• Saved the company over a million dollars in outsourcing fees, working successfully inside extremely tight budgets
• Transformed production and post production practices resulting in a seventy five percent increase in output and scope
• Produced live video streaming and capture of the companies total immersion programs to an average of twelve long form video training products per year, distributed digitally. This dramatically contrasts previous production in the department which averaged three projects per year produced to analog tape
• Each project produced included an average of thirty hours of program leader training material or more. Product was distributed domestically and internationally, to fifty-three offices and seven hundred and sixty program leaders who positively contribute to the lives of one hundred and sixty-six thousand people every year
• Software power user; Adobe Premier Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro X and Compressor, Apple Motion, Logic Studio Pro, Bias Peak, Digital Performer, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Presenter, Microsoft Suite, etc
PRODUCER - DIGITAL AUDIO / ARTIST
• Directed full production of CD release, “Motion,” and four tracks for latest release by Mortal Loom, entitled “This Vastness Must Be Love.”
• Composed, performed on multiple instruments, transcribed, arranged, recorded, and sequenced all tracks. Completed final edits and mix-downs; edited and reformatted tracks for iTunes and Internet release.
• Negotiated letters of intent along with recording and distribution contracts and related agreements
• Was invited to be featured on other artist's recording projects out of their experience of my production values
The Berklee Alumni Affairs Office embraces the college’s alumni as valuable members and vital stakeholders in a lifelong, global community. We strive to foster and strengthen alumni engagement in meaningful and innovative ways that support the interests and goals of alumni in their professional and personal pursuits.
Guided by the college’s mission, we seek to build a sense of shared community, pride, professional achievement, volunteerism, philanthropic support, and commitment to Berklee. We celebrate and applaud our alumni as they seek to improve the world around them through their creative pursuits.
Had a terrific experience. I played drums, sang and recited poetry, all of which, I had never done in my life before. What's more, through his masterful guidance, I found a new creative place inside of myself I didn't know existed.
I highly recommend guitar lessons with Gary Norman. Gary is a tremendously talented guitar player and an equally capable, creative and thoughtful teacher. His knowledge of music theory is outstanding – a testament to his graduate degree from the Berklee College of Music, one of the premier music colleges in the country. Additionally, he is very creative in his teaching methods as he tailors his lessons to the learning style of the student. For me, I required assistance with understanding the basic elements and timing of a composition before I could move on to the rhythm and strum patterns and ultimately the melody and words. Most importantly, Gary is patient and attentive which makes learning or mastering your guitar stress free. Overall, my lessons have been well worth the time and investment - I'm a much better and more informed player now that I have been lucky enough to study with Gary.+ Read More
I have been playing playing guitar for a long time, was a music major in college and have played semi-professionally. I went to Garry for his high level of knowledge of jazz harmony and wasn’t disappointed. He broke down my questions into simple understandable terms and really cleared the fog for me. Garry is also a great player—I could sit and listen to his solo guitar arrangements all day!+ Read More
I have been involved in music all my life. I hold an undergraduate degree in Fine Arts which was drama, art, and music. I have taken classical guitar lessons, voice lessons and music theory as part of that degree. As an adult, I have taken voice and piano and guitar lessons. Thus, I have had many, many music instructors over the years. I can say with complete assurance and confidence that Garry Norman is the best guitar teacher I have ever had, but not only that, he is the best music teacher I have ever had. He simplifies complex theoretical points and conveys his love and passion for music in a way that is clear, concise, and completely understandable. I am so thankful for having the opportunity to study with Garry. He's just great, that's all I can say!!+ Read More
I have been a student with Garry learning guitar. I would say he is one of the best guitar teacher. He is very calm, patient and understand where we struggle and make mistakes, help us with the tips and tricks in guitar very easily. Due to personal reasons, i was not able to continue with Garry much long but he will be remembered by me ever for bringing the happiness of music in my life. I always feel very greatful to this wonderful guitar teacher that anyone could ever get.+ Read More