- Teaches students:
- Ages 5 to 95 and special needs
- Teaching since:
- May 2010
Gail started her music journey with a recorder, at the age of 3, and grew from there. She tried several instruments, including French horn and piano, before finding the violin, and later the viola. Little did she know that the viola would capture her heart.
In 2018, she moved from California to Texas, and found even more of what she loves: music!
Her teaching began by accident when her twins entered a TK program. Their teacher asked for help with music - how could she decline? She successfully wrote and taught the music program that was used for K-2 grade students at that school, and now teaches violin and viola to beginner through intermediate students, advanced for viola.
She specializes in working with children, but loves teaching kids of all ages (even adults!).
As a teacher, Gail is flexible and fun-loving. She believes that music should always be fun, even when it's hard. Your child will love learning music with her, and she'll work with him/her to design a program just for them.
She's classically trained, but loves all music, especially baroque, renaissance and Celtic styles.
Gail is available for online lessons all over the world, and is happy to record them so you can review them all week long.
*** Lesson Details ***
A typical lesson consists of checking student's progress, addressing any immediate issues, and developing technique/knowledge.
In 3-6 months, your child should be:
* Reading music consistently at a level appropriate to their progress.
* Developing an understanding of rhythm and meter.
* Placing their fingers properly for the most part.
* Developing correct posture and holding their instrument and bow in a relaxed manner that suits their body type and facilitates the freedom of movement required for making great music.
I specialize in working with kids of all ages - from 5 to 95!
Il Trovatore - section viola
Rick Michael - section viola
Weddings - solo violin
Weddings - violin or viola in trio/quartet
Holiday events & parties - violin or viola in trio/quartet
• Teaching violin and viola students of varying ages between 5 to 95
• Use a variety of approaches to communicate and effectively teach the theory, musicality and mechanics of playing the violin and viola.
• Work with students and their parents to create a personalized education plan that works.
• Teach students how to work with their physiology to play their best.
• Working with groups of young musicians from ages 6-12.
• Teaching budding musicians to hold instruments correctly, read music, play together and sharing my love of making music.
• Guiding young musicians in developing musical knowledge.
• Leading these groups through regular performances.
• Filling in where needed in performances with various groups.
An early music quartet with a non-traditional format - two violas, a violin and cello! We played music from the Renaissance up through the early Baroque period, educating and entertaining audiences.
• Wrote the music program for K-2 students at Lakeview Elementary.
• Taught K-2 students music fundamentals & how to play the recorder.
• Led students in regular performances for school and district events, and other local events.
I Love my lessons with Ms. Gail! She makes the lesson fun and is always encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone and try an exercise before a scheduled lesson. I would highly recommend Ms. Gail!
Gail is a terrific instructor. She constantly recognizes your successes (however big or small ) and challenges you to do better. She has an amazing ability to know when you need to take a different approach to your music. Every musician or student is different and she adapts her techniques to variety of levels of learning.+ Read More
A truly good instructor that can get into a student's head & help direct them to where they need to be, in terms of style & performance. She will get you on the correct path & take you to a higher level.
My son, Donovan, studied violin with Ms. Nelson for four years at Alan’s Music in La Mesa, CA. He began at age four and I was a bit apprehensive about finding a teacher who would be effective with a younger child. Ms. Nelson was the perfect fit. She selects music that is varied and interesting. She is flexible too. When my son showed an interest in learning Superman, she found the music and supported him. We love her patient, gentle, but firm approach. Ms. Nelson has high expectations and is very open-minded about what young students can learn. From the start, she incorporated teaching music notation & music theory at age-appropriate levels. She is extremely knowledgeable and shares her knowledge with students in an engaging and comprehensible manner. She instills a love of music in her students - what a gift! I can’t recommend Ms. Nelson’s music instruction enough.
-Gina Vattuone La Mesa, CA
Ms. Nelson is a very nice and funny person. She is a good violin teacher because she is encouraging and always plays the music before I play it to see if I like it.
- Donovan Maes, age 8, La Mesa, CA
My newbie (beginner with zero experience) son has been taking violin lessons via skype for almost 2 years now. I specifically was looking for a teacher who could meet us over the internet, considering I needed a break from the commute. Although I wasn't sure this could work, I gave it a shot...& I am SOOO glad I did! I love the flexibility for our lessons to be in the early morning before school, we could only do this online.
My son LOVES playing his violin! It's funny because he wanted to quit once or twice when he came upon new challenges, etc. Gail works patiently with him as he gains confidence, slowly but surely he has improved dramatically. She has customized his lessons perfectly to fit his needs which is what I was hoping for. Online accompaniment to his songs made it even more fun & we just started a fiddle book (my son's request) which he is enjoying enormously.
My son picks up his violin & plays on his own all the time, WOW! He sounds great, is learning good technique & theory, but most importantly he was given a chance to enjoy the learning process, to me this is priceless. You won't be disappointed with Gail, she is a GREAT teacher! So glad we found her!!!
Side note: In the beginning I was trying to figure out how to tune the violin for my son, & fingering.The snark tuner & the chinatera fingerboard sticker gave me some needed confidence that we could do this online.
Gail is a very good and kind violin teacher and was just perfect for my son's introduction to instrument. He really enjoyed the lessons and learning how to play each of the strings then putting them together in a song. It was a wonderful experience.