- Levels Taught:
I have taught English to Korean immigrants in Virginia. I organized English classes for church attendees who wished to improve their English communication skills. I developed weekly lessons based on the needs of the group which introduced them to the basics of English grammar and conversation.
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5 to 60 and special needs
- Teaching since:
- September 2006
I am an experienced Korean teacher from Korea who has taught all levels of Korean to English speakers. I tailor my lessons to the interests of students and make my classes interactive. I develop customized lessons to reinforce the material from the book and reinforce grammar topics. On occasion we even go on field trips to local Korean restaurants!!!
• Develop and teach weekly lessons that introduce Korean grammar and culture to individuals with different levels of Korean skills.
• Prepare course materials and quizzes to supplement textbook content and reinforce topics taught during the semester.
• Grade homework, audio recordings of oral exercises, journal entries and other assignments that improve the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills of students.
• Evaluate student fluency and language skills to plan and place students in appropriate group or one-one classes.
• Create original course content and materials based on student interests and skill level.
• Lead discussions of Korean current events, culture, politics and the economy.
• Identify and incorporate elements of popular culture such as K-pop and K-drama into lessons to introduce learners to Korean customs.
• Created course syllabus outlining learning objectives, weekly assignments, course policies and course evaluation procedures.
• Taught intensive language classes involving economic, political and legal themes to graduate-level students.
• Lectured about cultural differences in social norms and their influence on communication patterns in Korea.
• Assessed mastery of grammatical concepts and the ability to express ideas accurately to listeners orally and in writing.
• Devised and administered exams to students and evaluated student performance.
• Translated into English articles from online North Korean news sources and scientific journals which explain current events and recent technological developments in North Korea to government agencies.
• Identified analogous expressions for North Korean concepts and arranged sentences into grammatically-correct coherent English.
• Analyzed and compared North Korean technical terminology with relevant English terminology to convey the nuances of words and ideas specific to North Korean society.
• Provided technical assistance to non-native English editors regarding Korean syntax, grammar and appropriate interpretations of Korean figures of speech.
• Designed and developed beginner-level to advanced-level Korean language classes for adult learners.
• Conducted group and individual learning sessions on reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
• Identified weaknesses in the communicative abilities of students and recommended strategies for improving oral proficiency.
• Developed Korean language lessons focused on relations between North and South Korea.
• Delivered customized one-on-one language lessons to members of the U.S. military.
• Facilitated and led discussions about political, economic and military developments in South Korea.
• Administered language proficiency examinations and graded student performance.
I recently began taking lessons with Hannah and it has been a wonderful experience. I went in intimidated at the thought of learning such a difficult language from scratch, but Hannah has been a very helpful and encouraging instructor and makes the language so much more manageable. I've been rather amazed by how much Korean I have been able to pick up in such a short time and have no doubt that I can become fluent eventually under her instruction. Anyone interested in learning Korean should absolutely take lessons with Hannah!Show More
My son and I had our first lesson with Hannah. It went very well. Hannah is engaging and patient. She really understands that studying Korean is no easy feat and takes the time to explain things to e Janice our comprehension.
I’ve taken a few classes with Hannah and learned a lot. Her style is patient, but in a way that challenged me to work hard and learn as much as possible, quickly and efficiently. She always came prepared to teach, has great classroom management skills and her lessons are engaging. If you would like to learn Korean, sign up now - you won’t be disappointed!Show More
I have studied for about two years under Hannah. She is very knowledgeable and has answered all of my questions. She has been very helpful with the concept of noun-modifying form, a very difficult but widely used concept.
I studied Korean with Hannah in DC. She is very dedicated and patient. It is clear to see how much effort she puts into preparing for each class. Teaching is something that she clearly enjoys and she will make sure that you do as well!
I've been taking classes with Hannah for nearly two years! She's an amazing teacher who is very patient and is very helpful for understanding different concepts in Korean. Korean is a very difficult language for me but she has customized a course for me to be at my pace and I feel like my Korean has improved exponentially! My Korean has improved to the point where my in laws comment on how my accent and speaking has improved, and my husband's family in Seoul were so impressed by how much I could speak to them in Korean! All of this was thanks to my classes with Hannah.
I can't recommend taking classes with her enough.