- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I was born and raised in S. Korea. I studied piano performance at Cleveland Institute of Music and University of Iowa and hold DMA in piano performance and pedagogy from University of Iowa. Other than music I hold BS in Computer Science from State University of New York, Albany. I began to play the piano when I was six and won prizes from the local competitions sponsored by Daegu Board of Education and Dague Division of Korean Musicians Association. I performed in major cities in Korea, the US and Europe such as Seoul, Paris, Vienna, Cleveland and Philadelphia. I participated in The Joanna Hodges International Piano Competition during my last year at University of Iowa and was mentioned by the judges as a technically very good pianist. For additional studies I participated in Aspen Music School and Music Festival, Claude Elffere's Master Class (Paris, France), Mozarteum Summer School and Music Festival (Salzburg, Austria) and Vienna Music Seminar (Vienna, Austria). I was awarded scholarship when I attended Cleveland Inctitute of Music and Aspen Music School. My teachers include Jinsook Kim, Donald Walker, Paul Schenly, Gabriel Chodos, Viktor Teuflmayr, Claude Elffere, Anne Epperson, and Vivian Hornik Weilestein.
Previously I was a rehearsal pianist of operas, II pagliacci by Leoncavallo with Daegu Opera, Snatched by the Gods and Broken Strings by Param Vir with University of Iowa Theatre department, and contemporary operas based on the works by Francesca Cavalli with Temple University Opera. Other than operas I worked with Missoula Children’s Theatre for the performance of Aladdin. As a collaborative pianist I performed in numerous concerts and performed in master classes of Joseph Silverstein, Steven Isserlis, Julliard Quartet, Isaac Stern and Richard Stoltzman. I have been teaching piano at the university settings (University of Iowa and Catholic University of Daegu) or privately for 10+ years. Recently I taught at Half Note Music School in Bellevue, WA and was a pianist at St. Columba's Episcopal Church and United Christian Church in Renton, WA.
· Piano · In studio Amber is a strict yet nice teacher. My two girls love learning from her and are excited about going to piano lessons with her. Although they have been learning piano for a few years already, they consider Amber well qualified to push them to professional level and say that Amber makes their music pieces much better and accurate.
· Piano · In home Amber helped me improve my technique and play with better dynamics. I like that she often plays along with the student to demonstrate her lesson.
· Piano · In home She did her best to be patient with my 6 yrs old boy.
· Piano · In home Amber is a great teacher! She's working with my 2 kids and they love her! She's always on time, she's great at communicating what's expected and/or planned for the lesson so we can plan accordingly and she keeps me in the loop about their progress.
· Piano · In studio I am an adult who learns to play piano. Amber is my third teacher. I decided to settle with her as long as she won't move out of Seattle : ) She is very skilled, experienced, well-educated, humorous. I had a lot of fun in class. She definitely made me more passionate about piano learning. And of course, my skilled improved a lot. I decide to study as possible
Amber holds DMA degree in piano performance, which most teacher doesn't have. This makes her extremely qualified to teach students at any level. She really knows how to teach effectively. There was a song I had practiced for two months for my wedding but it still sounded wrong to me. I couldn't figured out what's wrong. Then I knew I need a teacher. That's when I started my class with Amber. She went through each line with me. Corrected my figuring to make it easier for me to play each key evenly. She taught me which part to use finger and which part to use hand, and how to relax fast between two notes. Those skills are so helpful for me. None of other teachers taught me before. Without her I will never do it.