Thanks so much for your interest in starting music lessons with me. I’m so excited to share my passion for music with you! As Lao Tzu said: “Music in the soul can be heard by the universe."
My main goal as a teacher is to help my students reach their goals. If my student wants to learn how to play rock, hip-hop, and jazz drums I believe that it's my job to teach them how to play those styles..! If my student wants to get accepted into a music school I will make sure that they are prepared for an audition whether it be for orchestral percussion, jazz drums, rock drums, etc.
What students should have:
All students should (but don't have to) have a 3-ring binder to organize handouts in...!
Things that drum students should have: A drum set, drum sticks, a drum pad, and a music stand.
Recommended books for a beginning drum student:
Fundamentals for Snare Drum by Garwood Whaley
Elementary Snare Drum by Mitchell Peters
Encyclopedia for Reading Rhythms by Gary Hess
Things that guitar students should have: A guitar, a guitar tuner, and a music stand.
Recommended book: Hal Leonard Guitar Method (Complete Edition) by Schmid and Koch.
Drum specialties: Jazz, Latin (Brazilian, Cuban), African, Rock, Funk, Metal, Pop, Hip-hop, R&B, Blues, Country, Reggae, and Marching. I am proficient in drum reading, drum transcription, practice techniques, and drum rudiments and their application on the drum set.
Orchestral percussion specialties: keyboard percussion (marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel, vibraphone, chimes), snare drum, timpani, bass drum, cymbals, tambourine, triangle, orchestral excerpts, etudes, technique, important literature, and practice techniques.
Guitar specialties: reading music, tablature, chords, scales, improvisation, and technique.
Focus: Percussion Performance
· Guitar · In home I enjoyed the learning process; I just hope my short fingers will stretch & curve in order to play the strings properly!
· · In home Me. Emerson is the best instructor I've ever met! He really tries to keep the lessons fun and light. Plus he can always motivate his students to really learn and understand their instrument.
· Drum · In home Emerson is an amazing instructor. Besides being a very knowledgeable and gifted musician, he’s patient, kind, and makes learning the drums fun. What I appreciate most about Emerson is that he’s interested in helping me reach my goals. I happen to be interested in learning Latin style drums and lucky for me, Latin is one (of many) of Emerson’s specialties. So many people have told me that Latin is hard to learn, but in four short lessons, I already know how to play a basic Bossa Nova beat. Emerson is a very organized and efficient instructor. We work with handouts, video (I record him as he instructs) and reading exercises from a book. A highlight for me in our sessions is when Emerson accompanies my drum playing with another instrument, the piano for example. I really get the feeling like we’re having a little jam session and it's fun because I can hear that I'm making music and that's an awesome feeling.
Choose Emerson as your music instructor and you will not be disappointed.
· Drum · In home Emerson is a great instructor who has been helping me prepare for an upcoming performance (for my bar-mitzvah (like in front of 100 of my closest peers (so like yeah that's a lot of stress))). He is a great instructor and I look forward to continue studying with him.
· Drum · In home Emerson is an EXCELLENT teacher! He is patient and kind. He is super organized and efficient. He's able to give wonderful easy to follow instructions. I hope he is my son's music instructor for YEARS to come!
· Drum · In home Emerson is great at teach in teaching. He will go at any pace you tell him to go at. I would recommend him for all ages.