- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
Hello! My name is Elli.
I am a seasoned, positive, open-minded teacher and, to me, there is nothing more rewarding than to help someone play an instrument, write their first song, and/or otherwise deepen their understanding and love for music.
SOME FACTS ABOUT ME:
- I can play you a Beethoven Sonata and then plunk out the latest Lil Uzi Vert beat. I gotta stay young somehow.
- I can just as easily teach you how to play a Bach Invention for a recital as I can teach you how to play an Alicia Keyes song so you can impress your crush.
- My day job is the greatest- I teach high school music (of many varieties). I'm a 12-
year veteran of the NYCDOE.
- I have a BA in piano (Michigan State University, 2005) and an MA in music education (Northwestern University 2011).
- I am a NYS certified/licensed K-12 Music Educator.
- I have taught private lessons for more than 20 years! Man I'm old!
- I teach the following lessons: (beginning/intermediate)
Piano (all styles)
Low Brass (baritone and tuba)
Music Theory, Composition, and Arranging
- I teach all ages, but I specialize in teens/adults.
- I am a music theory geek. I enjoy teaching students the rules and then how to break all of them gracefully! I will also happily teach you how to read music (AND play by ear).
- I have a throwback-Jamaican Ska band (not kidding and it's GREAT!). I play brass and arrange the tunes.
- Sometimes I crash local parades with my sousaphone.
Studios where I have taught:
Southern Thumb Music, Richmond, MI (1996-2000)- private piano instructor.
White Bros. Music, Okemos, MI (2001-2005)- private piano instructor.
2005-present- Freelance piano instructor.
Schools where I have taught:
Automotive High School (2005-2011)- Music teacher, marching band director.
Urban Assembly for Music and Art (2011-2012)- Instrumental music teacher, choir director.
Professional Pathways High School (2012-present)-Instrumental and vocal music teacher.