- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+
- Teaching since:
- November 2001
A percussionist with 18 years of professional performing experience and 12 years of instructing experience, I am passionate about cultivating a love for music with as many as possible. I have studied with Stanton Moore, John Scofield, Dennis Chambers, and currently a student of Mark Guiliana. As an educator, I have curated many specialized lesson programs for students of all ages on stick control, syncopation, brush work, independence and linear exercises and technique, covering many styles including jazz, funk, rock and R&B. Creativity is essential; adaptability is paramount.
Studying Music Performance at the University of Anchorage, Alaska, and currently attending Borough of Manhattan College for Music Education, I have also worked at the Seattle Drum School and have personally been invited to perform and talk for the Power Chord Academy Rock Camp for kids, as well as appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live, MTVU's The Dean's List, and the 2008 MTV Campus Invasion Tour.
*** Lesson Details ***
"Be a musician, not a drummer." I will never forget this advice Jojo Mayer gave me years ago. Sure, I can teach you slick rock beats and pocket grooves, but learning how to APPROACH the kit under particular contexts will take you so much further in your musical career. My teaching style is paced and relaxed and you have the option to play in my newly renovated studio in Gowanus, BK or in my in-home studio in Windsor Terrace, BK. We play. We listen. We have fun!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Gretsch Renown Maple kit, Gretsch Catalina Jazz Mahogany kit, Assortment of Sabian and Zildjian cymbals, along with many auxiliary percussive and melodic toys.
● Responsible for cleaning, tuning, maintenance, and set up of Clive Davis Department's in-house DW drum kit to the utmost of NYU's professional standards.
● Operated and maintained company’s largest warehouse and grossing store
● Coordinated lesson plans throughout department
● Hired, trained, and supervised staff of 14
● Planned strategic PR campaigns which resulted in features in Spin Magazine, Alternative Press Magazine, and several weekly newspapers and online publications
● Organized many national tours and coordinated artists, artist managers, promoters, and venue managers
● Negotiated live performance contracts
● Composed, orchestrated, and performed original music on four released albums
● Collaborated with major producers including James Paul Wisner, Paul Kolderie, and Casey Bates
● Directed ensemble through 291 performances and 7 tours in 49 states
Dylan is an excellent teacher and an amazing drummer. He is down-to-earth and makes you feel comfortable immediately. He's also very organized regarding scheduling, and his lesson plans are flexible and productive. His teaching style is detail oriented and he explains well. He does not hesitate to correct my child and still encourages her to play better. Dylan is very enthusiastic about drumming and makes lessons a joy to take.
I am so glad we found him as soon as we came to NYC!