- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Upbeat, fun and patient. Professional performer/teacher with a BA in music (with honors) and English from Wesleyan University, graduate study in music education from University of St. Thomas and film production/screenwriting with honors from Minneapolis College (MCTC). Don
specializes in helping you to unleash your creativity and self-expression. Guitar, songwriting, composition/music production (Garageband, etc), computer-based "beat-making", ensembles, and pop vocal coaching. Tutoring and computer help also offered.
Many years experience in K-12 music and digital media technology (audio and video) working with gifted/talented and special needs students as well as in-school artist residencies. Adult students are a specialty and are most welcome!
*** Lesson Details ***
In individual lessons, instruction will be tailored to the individual desires and needs of each student. Fun "family-style" lessons with parent(s) and young children are also a new option.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Guitars, ukuleles, bass guitars, strum-sticks, various percussion instruments, ProTools Digi002, Garageband, Kurzweil 2500, Mac Pro Desktop computers, various keyboards, synthesizers and music composition/production software and amps.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Teacher brings instruments/supplies/books as needed, and can arrange to provide instruments for students as well.
*** Specialties ***
Individual or group instruction in folk, jazz, blues, rock, guitar/vocal performance coaching, songwriting, lyric writing, instrumental improvisation, digital media production/composition, iMovie, Garageband, "beat-making" and therapeutic music for youth, adult and special needs students. Tutoring/homework help in English, mac computers and basic academic subjects for K-12 and adult students. Technology (geek) help/support with computers, digital gadgets (especially Apple) for "non-techies".
Organizer and lead A&R/artist coach for the non-profit organization Songwriters Circle / Twin Cities LLC. Producer of monthly songwriter forum meetings, songwriter showcases and songwriter open mics. Producer of LET THEM SING a 2016 compilation of 16 songs by 12 Minneapolis-based songwriters-- https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/let-them-sing/id1079511144
Teacher / Performer / Music Producer
Teacher of senior elective high school drama class and director of spring 2016 musical production of Wizard of Oz
completed Advanced Video Editing and Production program course
The National Education Association (NEA), the nation's largest professional employee organization, is committed to advancing the cause of public education. NEA's 3 million members work at every level of education—from pre-school to university graduate programs. NEA has affiliate organizations in every state and in more than 14,000 communities across the United States.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Bass Guitar · In home Don is prompt, knowledgeable and fun to take lessons from.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Good start
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Don was excellent! We arranged for lessons to take place in our home which was super convenient. Don worked with both my daughter and myself weekly. His lessons were both fun and challenging. Highly recommend working with Don! Fun for all ages.
· Ukulele · In home I wanted to learn an instrument at the age of 65 with my 5 year old grand daughter. Don was excellent at starting us out slow which allowed us to enjoy the experience and feel successful! He was so easy to work with and he is experienced working with all ages! I highly recommend him.
· Vocal Training · In studio Don has been a great vocal/guitar coach. He's knowledgeable, of course, but he's also very helpful, patient and flexible.
· Ukulele · In studio Don was a great instructor. I only had a limited amount of time to dedicate to learning the Ukulele during the summer, but he helped me meet and exceed my goals. He is very friendly and personable. I highly recommend anyone interested in lessons that they give Don a try.
· Guitar · In studio This has been a truly enjoyable experience.
Don was teaching several of my charter high school students in guitar/vocal and music production. After a quick observation of his classes, I signed up for lessons as well. I am an adult student and have been taking guitar/vocal performance lessons with Don for three years. This has been a truly enjoyable experience. Don combines proper technique with enough creativity to make our lessons fun. Don is an inspirational teacher. He tuned into my musical tastes and tailored his lessons to my desires. I highly recommend Don to any adult or youth students interested in furthering their skills and enjoyment of music performance.
· Ukulele · Family Fun on Ukelele and Strumstick
Don has been wonderful to work with as a Ukelele and Strumstick instructor. I had an idea to get music lessons for my husband and 5 year old daughter as a Christmas gift. The thought was to have special Daddy and daughter time; sharing something that my husband loves to do. Don has worked with us to create a whole experience for them around music lessons. Don has succeeded in building an environment for our daughter to enjoy the music lesson experience. The first time she played 'hot crossed buns' brought a tear of joy to my eyes. He has even included me in the group lessons on Strumstick. My husband has expanded his knowledge of musical instruments and enhanced his playing skills with Don's skillful instruction. Don has made the whole experience delightful for our family.