- Teaches students:
- and Ages 5+
- Teaching since:
- August 1997
AA degree in General Studies/Audio Engineering with Honors, Mesa Community College, Mesa, Arizona
BA, Double Major with honors (Religious Studies and Music), Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
National Honor Society Member/Mensa member since Junior High School
AS AN ARTIST:
- Currently recording and mixing an album.
- A studio partner at disc makers since 2000
- An ASCAP member as writer and publisher since 1998
- As an independent artist, I have four releases: a rap record, a jazz record, blues record, and a dance record.
- As an artist, I have songs played all through out the US, including LA, New York, and Florida.
- Live performances in LA, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Washington, Oregon, and Vancouver as a jazz artist with a jazz band, a rock, hip-hop, and pop artist as well.
- Over 500 copyrighted songs in all styles-including orchestral compositions.
- Past and current artist sponsorships include: Steinberg North America, Skipper Wise and Martins Saulespurens at Blue Mic, Wynton Morrow, Brad Zell, and Todd Larsen at Avalon Design, Rob Manning at Zaolla cables, Carlos Lewison at Monster Cable, Andrew Lipman at Bose, and Gregory Butler at Native Instruments.
AS AN ENGINEER:
- Studied engineering under Andy Seagle (www.andyseagle.com) at MCC, and assisted in recording the Phoenix Symphony.
- Studied under Clark Rigsby (www.tempestrecording.com/index) at ASU.
-Studied under Bobby Brooks in Los Angeles (bobbybrooks.biz)
- In college, worked as a live sound engineer/mixer as an independent contractor.
AS A PRODUCER/MIXER:
- A freelance composer/arranger/mixer/producer/ghostwriter for many years.
- Did a year internship with Bobby Brooks in Los Angeles. I learned live sound, setting up drums and drum sounds, guitar, bass, and keyboard sounds. I learned on a pro tools system with outboard analog gear. I learned the engineering/mixing tips and tricks of the pros. His discography is at bobbybrooks.biz
- Worked with Steinberg North America’s producers group, in the development of Steinberg products. The group included Phil Ramone, Frank Fillipetti, Ed Cherney, Rory Kaplan, Greg Ladani, Alan Parsons, Chuck Ainlay, Gary Paczoza, and many others.
- Head of the music ministry at Phoenix Valley Church of Christ as song leader and lead the choir for three years. Duties included preparing the song service bi-weekly, arranging, composing, and conducting music for the choir in four or five-part harmony.
AS A TEACHER/LECTURER/CONSULTANT:
- Worked with Greg Ondo and Mike Prager to bring a Steinberg certification to the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences. Additionally, worked with Brian McConnon, and Rodney Orpheus as a consultant to Steinberg Industries.
- Worked as a consultant to Costa Kostelas who served Hans Zimmer as a longtime Cubase consultant.
- Worked with Marcel Mauceri at Echo Audio in the development of the first laptop interface, was the very first to get audio import/input and output to work on a PC laptop.
- Also taught Steinberg products for a year under Kirt Hamm and John McJunkin at the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences and Guitar Center.
- Guest speaker at MCC and ASU in business classes and the role of the artist in today’s music, starting in 1997.
As owner of Cayo in the First Records LLC, focused on daily improvements in operational flow, concentrated on the effectiveness of the team in a highly organized, and detail oriented environment with strong emphasis on time management, prioritizing tasks, and meeting deadlines.
As owner, strategically placed and prepared the companies day-to-day operations and ensured the success and survival of the company with the advent of MP3’s and the fall of major labels.
*** Lesson Details ***
Every lesson is custom tailored for the students, and your specific needs. Everyone is so different, and every challenge is unique. I want students who are hungry to learn. In 6 months, you can write your own songs, play other peoples songs, analyze the theory behind it, and finally have a tool box to craft your passion into something extraordinary. If I take you as a student, expect homework. Expect to work hard. Expect to make that beautiful music you hear in your head something the whole world can sing!!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Music room: Tv, pro tools, mixing board, bass, guitar, 88 key weighted piano. music stands, chairs, amps, additional seating for parents.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Depends on the instrument. Student should have thier own instrument.
*** Specialties ***
I am pretty flexible across the board.
Perfect teacher for my son
My son Ethan goes to Don for his piano lessons. I understand that Don is a very patient teacher as my son has a very short attention span. Don is very encouraging and inspiring. I am extremely impressed with Don's techniques and approach in teaching my son. Also as a parent, I find it very easy to communicate with Don about Ethan's improvement. Don is reasonably flexible with the times as well. I will be more than happy to recommend Don for piano lessons to anyone.