My name is Don and have been teaching guitar for many years. Currently I teach at the New York School of Music in Walden, N.Y. as well as at my home studio. From 2003 -early 2015 I was a staff instructor at Imperial Guitar and Soundworks of Newburgh, N.Y.
I teach all levels and ages for such styles as Classical/Flamenco Guitar(including ABRSM EXAM PREP.), Blues, Rock, Shred, Metal, Jazz, Country, and General Instruction for Beginners and those just wanting "to know how to play some tunes.".
I tailor instruction to my students' goals... not mine. Goal #1..we're having fun as we learn !.. this is not to be confused with Navy Seals Training !
· Guitar · In studio Had a great first lesson with Don. I believe I will progress nicely under his tutelage. Already have a lot to work on.
· Guitar · In studio Years ago I took Guitar Lessons at a local music store ( a very prominent one) as a raw beginner and quickly became frustrated with my lack of progress. Although my teacher was a great player and "very hot" to look at I soon began to feel like I was merely his "practice dummy."... I'd play the chords he showed me, endlessly,... while he seemed to be just practicing his solo playing. ... I then tried On-Line Lessons from various sites which were actually even less helpful and soon just lost interest completely.
A friend of mine said she had taken lessons from a Don DeBold for about 5 years before going off to college and highly recommended him.
I've now been taking lessons from Don for almost 2 years and having a blast ! I've learned how to play along with most of my favorite songs (mainly Blues and Rock) and now I'm learning to play Solo Guitar that needs no accompaniment !
Unlike my first teacher, during many lessons Don barely plays or even has his Strat on his lap because he's busy concentrating on what I'm doing !
He's a stickler yet lots of fun at the same time> I super recommend him as a Guitar and Music Teacher !!! Aneiah J.
· Guitar · In studio Don is an amazing teacher to say the least!! I've playing guitar for years with never a full grasp of harmony, and within a few short hours he caught me up on some of the most vital information I was missing. A true expert teacher.. Give him a chance... You won't be disappointed!!!
· Guitar · In home Don is a fantastic teacher, and not just for beginners but for experienced players as well!
I've been playing guitar for about 20 years, but haven't taken any formal lessons in the past 15 of those. I felt like I was in a rut with my playing so I started taking lessons with Don a few months ago. He was able to immediately help me improve my technique and help me correct some inefficiencies that I didn't even notice I was doing. Don has a great way of showing that there are multiple ways to play the instrument and not one specific "right" and "wrong" way.
I feel like I've made more progress in the last 4 months than I had in years.
· Guitar · In studio I've been taking lessons with Don for 6 months...
I am amazed at the progress I've made. I've gone from badly strumming a few songs to being able to do some simple guitar solos. Don focuses on fundamentals and technique, and it pays off, and really helps you learn faster.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio I found the lesson with Don effective. He is an experienced teacher who knows what you need to learn in order to achieve your goal. He has plenty of handouts that really helps me practice. The most important thing I learned from him is the big picture of guitar learning. For example, I learned the connection between scales and chords, why/how to improvise with these, how to go from there to other relevant things, etc.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio From beginners to experts, young children to senior citizens, Don DeBold has the ability to not only improve students' technical skill in a plethora of different musical styles, but also create an ideal learning environment through his friendly personality and entertaining yet helpful and engaging instruction. With decades of guitar experience in multiple genres and affordable lesson plans, Don DeBold is the perfect guitar instructor for any kind of student.
· Guitar · In studio My son started lessons 4 1/2 years ago, and I decided to learn myself, after seeing my son's progress.
Don is a phenomenal teacher, who incorporates reading music, theory, skills, and learning what you want to learn all in one lesson.
You can't find a better instructor if you are serious about learning to play music and play it well.
· Guitar · In studio Don has been teaching my son Michael for 4 1/2 years. Michael has gone from a novice, to a skilled guitar player on electric, acoustic, electro-acoustic guitars.
Don teaches theory, skills, instructional, and adds fun into each lesson.
We can't recommend him highly enough.