TEACHING MISSION: Capture the joy of playing music. Inspire continual playing and/or practice, regardless of student's lifestyle/career choices.
I start the first lesson with a student wish list (songs, goals, etc) and every lesson we take significant steps towards the goals.
Skills: Guitar/Mandolin/Piano/Bass/Banjo/Recording/DJ Technology
Education: B.M. Classical/ Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Colorado, 2003
B.S. Audio Engineering/ Production, Middle Tennessee State University, 1997
-The Musicians Woodshed (Austin) Sept 2013- Present
-Brooklyn Music Lessons (NYC) 2010-2013
-University of Colorado (Boulder) 2000-2010
-Naropa University (Boulder) 2007-2010
-The Lesson Studio (Boulder) 2005-2009
Freelance Musician/ Arranger/ Composer 2000-Present
I have played guitar, mandolin, bouzouki, keyboards, or bass in folk, classical,
Derek has been a professional educator for over 10 years. While many successful artists hide their tips and tricks, in fear of being copied and/or surpassed, Derek offers up his toolbox on a regular basis.
In late 2012 and early 2013, Derek was a guest clinician at several Ableton 9 launch parties (L.A., N.Y.C., Atlanta, Chicago, and Miami) where he performed and discussed his methods of using Ableton with live instrumentation.
He has taught as an adjunct teacher at the University of Colorado and Naropa University. Areas of focus included guitar, mandolin, music production, theory/ composition, banjo, classical guitar ensemble, and electric bass.
Magna Cum LaudeUniversity of Colorado Bachelor of Music in Guitar Performance
NAMM is the not-for-profit association that promotes the pleasures and benefits of making music and strengthens the $17 billion global music products industry. NAMM's activities and programs are designed to promote music making to people of all ages.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Banjo · In studio As an adult learning to play an instrument for the first time, very little has come naturally. I had tried two other instructors prior to Derek and felt as though I made little progress with them. Derek's approach is much more intuitive and the progress more obvious. great teacher with a sound approach.
· Banjo · Online Great teacher, very clear, patient communication. Can't wait for the next lesson!
· Mandolin · In studio Talented guy, easy to understand and very patient!
· Guitar · In studio First lesson... the teach has the talent!!! I'm impressed.
· Banjo · In studio Great! He explains things well!
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio As an 'older' beginner, Derek tuned into what it is I'm wanting and tailored my lessons perfectly!
· Ukulele · In studio Derek is very professional and friendly. Really knowledgeable about music, and he let me go at my own pace. Very patient! He's a great teacher!
· Ukulele · In studio He's a kind person. He works with you for what you want to work at. He will introduce new things to your capacity.
· Ukulele · In studio he has helped me to memorize portion of my favorite song while learning a certain strum with accent on 2nd beat and working on it. he has helped me to organize time to learn. shown me strum pattern and how many in between per note while following and artists song. he is helping me to be disciplined not to think about it and do it subconsciously which is wonderful to learn. i am learning a finger pattern. all will take time. when i stumble he picks the same note up with me as i start again and helps me grow thru my difficulties with explanation and repeating over and over with me until i get it. very patient and nice person with good teaching skills.
· Ukulele · In studio Great Lesson