- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a full time percussionist, composer, installation artist, and recording engineer in Los Angeles and Eau Claire, WI!
I have an MFA in Music Composition/Experimental Sound Practices from CalArts in Los Angeles, and a BFA in Percussion and Music Composition from the university of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.
I have worked with Grammy-winning artists Justin Vernon, Sean Carey, and Rob Moose, have performed at REDCAT (LA), the Milwaukee Sculpture Garden (WI), The Cedar Cultural Center (MN), and have played for composers Michael Pisaro, Amy Knoles, and more!
In addition to my work as a freelance music teacher and musician, I am the Lead Fellow for the CalArts AmeriCorps Saturday program at CalArts in Valencia. I oversee 10 CalArts Student instructors, teach music theory, composition, and electronic music, and work with students and parents to culminate our academic year with a massive outdoor concert in CalArts' Wild Beast Concert Hall!
Please visit davysumner.com to check out more of my original work and collaborations with other artists!
As an AmeriCorps lead fellow, I direct the CalArts Saturday Music Program. I oversee student instructors, teach classes in music composition, music theory, and electronic music, and prepare middle school and high school students for a culmination concert each year!
Teach and tutor undergraduate music majors in music theory.
As a graduate assistant, I coached CalArts undergrad and grad students on circuit building, electronic music, soldering, and analog and digital fabrication techniques.
As the DigiFab TA, I assisted technical director Michael Darling in the instruction and realization of analog and digital fabrication projects.
Taught private percussion, composition, drum set, and music theory lessons.
The American Composers Forum enriches lives by nurturing the creative spirit of composers and communities. We provide new opportunities for composers and their music to flourish, and engage communities in the creation, performance and enjoyment of new music.
· Piano · In home 👍🏼🎼🎹
· Piano · In home Davy is a exceptional teacher and very patience and understanding with me.
· Piano · In home Great teacher. Davy is patient and easy-going. Absolutely fabulous. My daughter is looking forward to more lessons.
· Drum · In studio Davy taught my 8 year old son this past summer. He is kind and patient, and excellent at explaining things. My son and I were both very happy with him and would recommend him to students of all ages.
· Drum · In home Dave taught drums to my son for about 2-3 years. He always had a very positive and reassuring style which always made drum lessons a time to look forward to and feel successful about. My son was a beginner and he has mild autism with learning disabilities and fine motor delays. Dave was able to figure out how to work with these issues and help my kid realize his dream of playing drums. Dave also became his buddy and we really miss him since he moved away.
· Drum · In studio I took drum lessons when I was 15. I decided now, at age 66, to take lessons again. I plan on playing in our church's Praise Team Band.
Davy easily assessed my level of knowledge and started from there. Each lesson started with things that I wanted to learn. He then rounded the lesson out with the things he could see I needed to know. Davy understands people very well. He also has a great talent for music.
· Arrangement and Composition · In studio I decided to work with Davy to help improve my music. I am 22 and make Electronic/Hip-Hop music using mostly Ableton. I never had much formal training besides odd bits of classes I could take and about two years of learning from books and videos online. Davy quickly assessed my skill level and began reinforcing basics and introducing me to new ideas.
We worked on analyzing some of my previous music along with other popular tracks and composed some new works. Davy's breadth of music knowledge taught me a wide range of things. Having been self taught I had a diverse amount of knowledge with many holes in it and he helped fill the gaps.
Davy does a great job and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking to grow.
· Percussion · In studio My son started drum lessons at age 8. He became very frustrated and wanted to quit with his first instructor. I convinced him to try it again with Davy. Davy is an outstanding teacher. He is very patient and calm. My son immediately felt comfortable with him and his teaching style. He only pushed him when he was ready. He made learning the drums fun and exciting. He communicates well with parents and students. I would highly recommend Davy as an instructor.
· Drum · In studio My 12 year old boy took beginning drum lessons from Davy and enjoyed his teaching very much. I observed lessons once and was impressed at how easily and age appropriately Davy communicated with my son. I would not hesitate to recommend him for drum lessons.
· Drum · In home This is a test review!