- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello fellow guitarist! My name is Davis and I have been playing guitar for twelve years. I have received both classical and modern training and I still take lessons to this day (I never want to stop learning!). I created my first band when I was Junior in high school and have played in a number of bands since then spanning over multiple genres including rock, funk, metal, and folk. I now have my own solo project and I am writing my first solo record. Currently I am focusing on working with beginner and intermediate players. Lessons will be conducted out of my home studio or through TakeLessons Classroom. Whether you are looking to learn your favorite songs, get a grip on music theory, or learn what it takes to write your own songs, I am your guy!
*** Lesson Details ***
One of the first questions I ask a new student is "what do you want to get out of learning the guitar?" Every student is unique in that every student wants to learn different things about the instrument and learns in different ways. I implicate a goal based approach to teaching/learning the guitar so that every student gets the most they can out of every lesson and has a good time doing so. That being said there are fundamentals in guitar playing technique that I make sure every student learns including knowing the "anatomy" of the guitar, strumming, note names on the fretboard, basic rhythms, etc. I like to use every resource available to me that I can including the internet, guitar books, handouts that I have created, as well as digital audio workstations for creating backing tracks to jam over. I often encourage younger students to take 30-45 minute lessons and students over the age of 14 to take 45 minute lessons at a minimum.
*** Studio Equipment ***
My studio is located in the finished basement of my home in St. Charles, MO. I have electric and acoustic guitars that students are welcome to play on during our lessons if they do not want to bring their own. I also have amplifiers, guitar pedals (so much fun!), an interface, DAW's, music stands, metronome, and more that are incorporated into most lessons. Parents of students are welcome to relax in the lounge area located right next to my studio (don't hesitate to ask for coffee or tea!). I also have basic supplies for creating a custom guitar binder/folder for every student to take home and practice with. All handouts are available in digital format for those wishing to learn online through Take Lessons Classroom.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in teaching modern techniques for both electric and acoustic guitar. My introduction to learning the guitar came in the form of classical guitar lessons so I can also teach the basics of sight reading and classical guitar playing technique, though most lesson will focus on more modern styles of playing. I am well versed in rock, funk, blues, and traditional acoustic playing styles. I also specialize in songwriting and improvisation/jamming.
Penny Moon and her band "Copper Creek" is St. Louis' premier variety cover band spanning all genres including rock, blues, country and pop. You can now see me performing on weekends with this stellar band!
I have been performing in bands and writing my own songs for over ten years. In the fall of 2014 I started my own rock solo project and have been continuing to put on shows and write music since!
During my time at the University of Missouri - Columbia I coached young athletes from ages 8-14 on the Columbia Swim Club. I was a competitive swimmer for over 11 years and working for CSC truly taught me how to teach and work with kids. I apply many of the lessons I learned from coaching to teaching guitar lessons. I also taught private lessons and worked with Special Needs children.
· Guitar · In studio Davis is so awesome! I knew nothing about the guitar before starting a couple weeks ago and I can't believe how much I have already learned. He is extremely patient and one of the nicest people I've ever met! His teaching skills are phenomenal! I HIGHLY recommend Davis!!!!
· Guitar · In home Davis is a great instructor and my daughter truly enjoys taking lessons with him.
· Guitar · In home Davis has a positive, encouraging approach to teaching my eight year old son. Although I'm not a musician, the lessons seem to build on each other nicely & my son looks forward to lessons. Now that he has learned some chords, he thinks he's a rock star & is even practicing more at home. It's been a great experience for us!
· Guitar · In home My son has been taking lessons from Davis now for a couple of months and he loves it. Davis is an excellent teacher! He is very knowledgeable and super talented. My son enjoys the relaxed environment and the one on one instruction. He has taken lessons before in a group setting with an agenda at hand and did not progress well. With Davis, he is doing great things with the guitar and learning all kinds of different things from the very basics to particular songs that he likes. I am so grateful that we have found Davis and look forward to many more lessons ahead. I would HIGHLY recommend Davis for anyone looking for guitar lessons.
· Guitar · In home I brought my 11 year old son Jeremy over for his first lesson with Davis about a month ago and I am happy to report that the lessons are going better than we could have hoped for! Davis' home studio has a lounge area that makes sitting in on lessons comfortable (and he makes great coffee too!). I am able to listen to their lesson without interfering with Jeremy's lesson. My son has taken lessons before with other instructors but since taking lessons with Davis he is excited to come home and practice for the first time ever! Thank You!
· Guitar · In home I came in for my first lesson with Davis about 2 months ago and I have learned more from him in that time than I did in 2 years of trying to learn on my own! I like that he provides an inspiring and fun learning environment and he really takes the time to figure out what I want to get out of playing the instrument. Can't wait for my next lesson!
· Guitar · In studio I've taken guitar and other instrument lessons from several music stores in the area and the only thing to show for it is a few dusty lesson books. Davis is the first instructor I've taken lessons from that really is a master of his instrument and can take the session beyond any lesson book. Davis's relaxed professional approach combined with his passion and enthusiasm for teaching the guitar make him an invaluable resource.
· Guitar · In home Davis is a very kind, smart, patient and talented individual. I believe he has been playing guitar for about 15 years now and has so much knowledge to share. I took guitar lessons with him a few years ago and he taught me so much! Whether you are just starting out or have been playing for awhile he will always be willing to go the extra mile to make sure you understand. He not only has a passion for playing but he also has a passion for teaching. He does a really great job to help his students achieve results and makes every lesson as enjoyable as possible.