- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Experienced clarinet teacher of 10 years available for students of all levels and ages! Lessons with me are designed to include what the student wants to learn as well as the fundamentals, technique, musicality, theory and history. My lessons are structured to maximize time and while covering many topics. I do not use lesson books but instead have my own curriculum that I have created. Handouts/PDFs are available for all topics covered and all music exercises.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
- Teaches students:
- Ages 8 to 65 and special needs
- Teaching since:
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my profile. My name is Dr. David Berrios and I am a saxophonist and teacher in the New Jersey/New York area. I have a passion for teaching saxophone and have been doing so sine 2006.
Recently, I completed my doctorate in saxophone performance from the University of Kansas and for my dissertation I compiled the first ever comprehensive collection of saxophone excerpts from the wind band repertoire. The goal for my dissertation was to provide a much needed resource for auditioning saxophonists. I specialize in college preparation and have helped many students have successful auditions.
Over the past 14 years of teaching I have created my own saxophone curriculum starting from the first lesson to college recital and can have you playing a 2 octave scale in the first lesson. I can teach from any method book you may be using and will supplement with my own materials
I perform regularly throughout the the tri-state area as a freelance saxophonist and with my trio "The Additive Color Ensemble" I teach both online and in person and have taught over 100 students including at the collegiate level.
• Founding member of the Additive Color Ensemble – A chamber group specializing in new music
and audience engagement.
• Members of Carnegie Hall’s Ensemble Connect Institute, an auditioned based program that helps
chamber groups develop innovative concert experiences focused on audience engagement
• Members of the Lied Center of Kansas’ Educational Outreach Program which provides unique
musical experiences for young children
• Performance at the National Flute Associations Gala Concert
• Performance at Society of Composers Inc. National Conference
• Performance at the NASA Regional Conference
Birdland Jazz Club with tap dancer Evan Ruggerio
Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts with tap dancer Evan Ruggerio
Guest soloist with the Baker University Wind Ensemble
NASA saxophone Regional Conference
Guest Soloist with the University of Kansas Wind Ensemble
Oklahoma State University Saxophone Summit
Guest soloist with the Oskaloosa High School Wind Ensembe
Performed Leonard Bernstein’s suite from “On the Waterfront” with the Topeka Symphony
South Dakota State University guest Artist Series
Performed on Duke Ellington’s arrangement of “The Nutcracker Suite” with the Topeka Symphony
NASA Region IV conference
Washburn University guest performance
Blue Room at the American Jazz Museum with Alan Ferber Nonet
The New Theater and Restaurant’s production of “Smokey Joe’s Café”
Recorded Warren Benson’s “Wind Rose” for saxophone quartet on the Naxos Recording Label
*Entire performance experience available upon request.
Graduate Teaching Assistant for the University of Kansas - 2013 to 2018
• Taught all incoming freshman and non major saxophone students.
• Directed 2 saxophone quartets per semester.
• Taught the saxophone methods course for music education students.
Lied Center of Kansas Educational Outreach Program - 2016 to 2018
• Created interactive musical experiences that taught basic music principles while encouraging students to engage and have fun.
• Each class had 3 engagements over 6 months culminating with a final concert at the Lied Center of Kansas.
• Program was developed for 6 elementary schools with over 1,200 participated students.
Carnegie Hall's Ensemble Connect Institute - 2017
• Audition based institute held at the Weil Center for Education at Carnegie Hall.
• Program created to help innovative chamber ensembles enhance their interactive programs.
• Direct hands on experience with members of Decoda chamber music ensemble, Ensemble Connect, Brooklyn Rider, Clive Gillinson, the director of Carnegie hall, and many other musicians, educators and performers.
• Held performances in local elementary schools, recreation centers, libraries and Carnegie Hall.
Clinician and Instructor
• Saxophone Instructor at the Prairie Winds Music Festival - 2015 - 2018
• Coached Lawrence High School jazz band saxophone section weekly during performance season - 2017
• Presented at NASA Region IV conference at the University of Oklahoma - 2017
• Masterclass at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas - 2017
• Coached Oskaloosa High School jazz band saxophone section weekly during performance season - 2017
• Presented lecture on "The Allard Pedagogy" at Oklahoma State University's Saxophone Summit - 2016
• Saxophone Teacher for the Lions Rotary Club State Band Festival in Baldwin City, Kansas - 2016
• Presented lecture on "Commercial Reed Adjustment" at
Oklahoma State University's Saxophone Summit - 2015
• Saxophone Teacher for the Lions Rotary Club State Band Festival in Lawrence, Kansas - 2015
• Masterclass at the South Dakota State University in Brookings, South Dakota - 2014
• Musical instrument accessory company based out of New Jersey
• Helped design reed profile for Silverstein Work's commercial synthetic reed.
• Acted as in house musician for all music related matters.
• Oversaw the artist relations program which worked with over 300 of the worlds top woodwind musicians.
• Cultivated and managed relationships with sponsors, vendors, distributors and community partners
• Gatekeeper: screened and responded to all calls, emails, and inquiries.
• Managed back end systems on the Silverstein website.
• Created, edited and promoted marketing content through various platforms.
• Taught saxophone lessons to all non-major and freshman saxophone students.
• Sabbatical replacement for saxophone professor for the 2015 school year.
• Directed two saxophone quartets per semester.
• Taught saxophone methods course for music education majors.
• Prepared and managed seating arrangements for three large ensembles
• Coordinated with performance facilities about performance requirements.
• Organized and distributed sheet music and instruments for all university music functions.
• Created and implemented rubrics for music school admission auditions.
• Programmed repertoire for two ensembles that focused on student’s development.
• Planned, created and implemented a curriculum for independent study saxophone majors.
The mission of the New Jersey Music Educators Association is the advancement of music instruction in New Jersey's educational institutions at all levels that provide in-service and enrichment opportunities for practicing and retired teachers and prospective music educators, as well as sponsoring various festivals and all-state performing groups for K-12 students.Show More
The North American Saxophone Alliance is an organization made up of individuals who share a common interest in the saxophone. Members include professional performers, university professors, public school teachers, students of all levels, and others who have an interest in the saxophone. In addition to the Alliance's emphasis on disseminating information concerning the saxophone, the organization also works to provide opportunities for its members to make music, fostering fellowship among saxophone enthusiasts of all ages and backgrounds.Show More
I started lessons with Dr. Berrios in 2015, while preparing for college auditions. He was very patient with me and knew all of the ins and outs of the audition process. Would recommend!