David is a multi-talented musician as a performer, composer, and educator. He has performed compositions from the Renaissance to world premiere 21st century compositions.
As a performer David has been invited to perform in Master classes with world renowned classical guitarists such as Petar Kodzas, Marko Feri, Mir Ali, Roland Dyens, James Piorkowski, The Castellani-Andriaccio Duo, and Jason Vieaux.
As an educator David was awarded a year-long teaching assistantship in classical guitar. He has worked with students K-12 as a student teacher and has taught private students all varieties of guitar.
David created a music program called Spectrum Music specializing in Autism & Aspergers. Spectrum Music is a program that provides children with unique opportunities to enhance social development and sensory skills outside of therapy in music.
David received his Bachelors Degree in Music Education and Classical Guitar from The State University of New York at Fredonia studying with James Piorkowski. David recently completed his Masters Degree in Classical Guitar Performance under the direction of Joanne Castellani. David currently performs with a guitar built by luthier Jim Holler.
*** Lesson Details ***
Students can expect to receive a firm foundation in music & guitar while becoming a better musician every day. It is vital for students to have lessons that specialize in not only guitar but also music theory. My primary goals are to make each student a great guitarist and also a well-rounded musician. I firmly believe that any student at any age can become a successful guitarist when engaged in instruction that is appropriate and motivating.
Typically a lesson begins with a quick warm up to center your focus on guitar, then we move into scales and technique, followed by working on previous repertoire and picking new repertoire. and then concluding with sight-reading.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living room with seating for parents.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I ask my students to purchase any instruments or method books.
*** Specialties ***
· Piano · In home My 7 year old son has been taking lessons with Dave for nearly two years. Dave has an incredible amount of patience, and is always coming up with new ways to keep my son interested. Dave's ability to build in interesting facts about the music and composers, his use of technology to enable the lessons, and his general good humor never cease to amaze me. He's a great teacher.
· Classical Guitar · In studio David is a wonderful teacher who makes learning to play music interesting. He seems to focus on his student's progress and lead them in the right direction. I am a current classical guitar student of his and he has helped me to prepare various pieces and scales for my upcoming college audition. I would highly recommend David to anyone who wants to learn to play the guitar as he is very patient and a very skilled guitarist and teacher!
· Guitar · In home Loved our experience with David. Polite, accommodating, knowledgeable!
· Guitar · In studio Excellent!!!! My daughter has been taking lessons with David for over a year now. She loves it. She plays so many songs. My son just started as well. i highly recommend him.
· Guitar · In studio David is an exceptional instructor. His calm cool demeanor and adaptable style gets his students motivated and comfortable making mistakes. My son knew nothing about guitar, but was so hungry to go back each week to learn more and show David the fruits of his practice each week. I highly recommend him
· Music Theory · In studio David helped me to understand why some of the stuff I was doing worked, why some did not and how to adjust to the things that do. David was quick to get a grasp on where my both execution ability and understanding where and gears his input in a manner that both motivates and expands my understanding. I wish I could have had David's when I first began playing so I would not have wasted so much effort.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Before I took lessons with Dave, I had no background in classical playing or reading music at all. Considering the school I aspired to attend was completely based on classical guitar as opposed to electric, I needed to do major work on this foreign style. Dave was recommended to me by Professor James Piorkowski of the Fredonia School of Music, and within a matter of four months I went from not knowing how to properly play to passing the audition at Fredonia. His teaching method allows one to expand on their technical abilities on their own volition throughout the time off of lessons, as he provides a document listing major points to work on. He is incredibly personable and will work diligently to make sure every student is treated without the cookie cutter format that plagues so mamy younger musicians. Dave, I want to personally thank you for all your help thusfar.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio My 8.5 y/o son has only been with with David for a few lessons thus far and the fact that he wants to continue, even lengthen his lesson says a whole lot. David is a very patient teacher. He is always open to any questions in person or via email/text. He appears very knowledgeable! I would highly recommend using David as a music instructor!
· Classical Guitar · In studio I decided to try to learn classical guitar in my 5th decade of life. Although I had some limited musical background, I was quite apprehensive about my ability to learn a string instrument for the first time at my age. I feel very lucky to have found David. He has made me feel that I can do this! He is a great teacher and has a way of making every lesson meaningful. I come away from every lesson enthused about practicing what he just showed me. My schedule is quite hectic and he has been extremely flexible about missed lessons or changes. I highly recommend David for any age or experience level. I love my guitar lessons!
· Guitar · In studio I have been taking lessons for almost a year now. I am a beginner senior citizen. David obviously tailors lessons to the individual. We work on basics, yet he also lets me select songs I want to learn and pushes me into areas that challenge my abilities, which keeps it fun. I can highly recommend David as a teacher.