- Teaches students:
- Ages 8 to 30
- Teaching since:
- June 2006
I have been teaching guitar, piano, and voice lessons for the past 8 years. I graduated with a Music Education degree from William Paterson University in 2011 with a focus on voice and piano. I currently teach chorus, general music, and a piano lab at Lawton C. Johnson Summit Middle School in Summit, NJ. There, I direct 3 large grade level choruses, a 28 member select chorus, and serve as the vocal music director for our spring musicals. I sing weekly as a Bass Section Leader at Preakness Reformed Church in Wayne, NJ and I also am a member of the Roxbury Community School where I teach weekly high school voice lessons. My musical background is extremely varied, encompassing everything from Broadway and Classical vocal technique to Rock, Punk, and Heavy Metal guitar playing. My past performance experiences include singing classical, opera, and show tunes as well spending many years singing and playing guitar in a heavy metal band.
I am a upbeat, positive, and encouraging teacher. I aim to meet students at their level to design a curriculum and lesson program that is personalized, relevant, and helps each student to achieve his or her goals. I always push students to excel but recognize that every person's musical journey is a different one. I help students to find a lesson pace that is comfortable for them but that also encourages them to take risks and grow both as a person and as a musician.
If you're looking for a teacher who is fun, relaxed, and caring but that is also able to help you grow, learn, and succeed, then I'm the teacher for you!
*** Lesson Details ***
My lesson details vary greatly from student to student. I can either be the teacher to push you along, keep you disciplined, and hold you accountable or I can be the teacher to allow you to slowly grow and learn in a relaxed setting. In the end, your satisfaction and learning are my number one priority.
Students will learn exactly what they want to learn, whether it be modern pop piano/guitar or classical song literature. Below are listed my typical lesson format for each instrument. However, I change this formula depending on what your goals and personal interests are.
- Ear training
- Repertoire development
- Technique exercises
- Sight reading exercises
- Music theory/chord training
- Song development
After 3 months of regular lessons, all students can expect:
- Basic mastery of an instrument, including playing a full song
- Improved technique
- Improved music reading skills
- Enhanced ear training
- A basic understanding of musical/theoretical concepts
*** Travel Equipment ***
- I can provide a music stand/laptop, and lesson books/materials.
- I would expect students to provide their own musical instrument.
*** Specialties ***
- For singing, I am adept at all major styles, including opera, Broadway, pop, hard rock, and traditional choral singing.
- For group choral and vocal lessons, I specialize in Kodaly techniques (solfege, ear training, etc.).
- For guitar, I have spent many years playing in hard rock and heavy metal groups so I am particularly adept at this style, including contemporary metal, metalcore, death metal, etc.
- I am comfortable coaching singer/songwriter type performers.