- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello Students / Parents!
I specialize in providing a fun, inspiring and safe space for each student to reach their goals - whether that be for the novice singer whose been wrongfully told they shouldn't sing, the more experienced singer looking to do more with their music, or the budding songwriter, actor or speaker looking to develop the talent and drive they feel within them.
I always remember the inspiration and patience I received from my best teachers, so I strive to provide exactly that to my own students. I sing and teach most vocal styles, with the exception of opera and screamo, and utilize my studio to create a supportive, empowering experience singing, speaking, writing and recording. I absolutely love teaching both children and adults and look forward to learning how to best support each one of my students in their individual path toward realizing their potential.
Here's a bit about my background and musical experience:
Bachelors of Fine Arts degree (Theatre/Voice) from United States International University Graduated Valedictorian
Chula Vista School of Creative and Performing Arts Graduated Valedictorian
Workshops and studying with Bill Doyle, Roy Mote, Andrew Barnicle, Jack Tygett, Leanne Summers, among others.
"After seeing Danielle, I was impressed with her intensity as a performer. Her ability to get behind a lyric was stunning, she lives every line. As an artistic performer, I've yet to see better."
-Tony Ferguson / Interscope Records: No Doubt, Bush, Fisher
My original band, Danielle and The Masses, has been recording and performing live since 2001. We are endorsed by Ani Difranco, The Black Eyed Peas, The Bruce Hornsby Band, and have shared the stage with artists as Jamie Foxx, CAKE, Metric, En Vogue, David Byrne, Berlin, Margaret Cho, Cyndi Lauper, Jonatha Brooke, Beth Hart, Semi Precious Weapons and more.
I have written and performed music and voice over for Ace Ventura, Nutty Professor, VH1, various TV shows and independent documentaries, Eveoke Dance Theatre, among others, as well as having recorded eight professional CDs of various styles on various record labels.
For over ten years, my record / production company, Say It Records has been producing socially conscious music events throughout San Diego and Southern California that promote independent music, film, art, community and human rights. I also co-own Durga Sound, a teaching and production studio, with producer Alicia Champion, as well as San Diego IndieFest, a powerful community event which promotes and supports music, film, art and civic engagement.
I have a great time utilizing my contacts in the industry to help my students get work/ press / entrance into the schools of their choice, etc. For example, I'm happy to report that just last year we were able to book eight musicians on GLEE, as well as lots more in other capacities including using their music in commercials and film and helping them get cast in local theatre and accepted into arts-centered schools.
*** Lesson Details ***
I start on the first lesson by becoming clear about what the new student's goals and desires are from there, we start developing technique to achieve those goals along with having fun right away doing what they came for - singing, writing, voice over, acting or using a combination of these things be it for professional purposes or personal fulfillment. Every lesson is personally customized to meet the specific goals of each student. As a teacher, I'm encouraging and fun, passionate and positive. While I'm definitely not "strict", I do appreciate focus and drive. However, I often work with people who have special needs and are working on developing those very things. I'm especially good at helping people through progress plateaus, roadblocks, stage fright, loss/ stress. Using music as a means of release and healing - for both kids and adults - is something I do a lot of and am very comfortable with.
As far as technique is concerned, I focus on utilizing posture, correct breathing and developing relaxed, strong support, so that the muscles are developed properly. We want the voice to develop without stress, enabling the student to constantly grow while steering clear of any injury that can happen as a result of straining, not to mention other habits that manifest when we sing without proper technique.
I strongly encourage students to record their lessons on a mobile device so they can practice easily on their own, and so they eventually have a record of how far they've grown.
We mostly use tracks to develop repertoire, prepare for auditioning and performances, and to have fun singing the music that excites each student the most.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Apple Mac Pro Quad Core running OS 10.8.3
Avid Pro Tools 10 HDX
Propellor Reason 4.0
UA 2-610 Microphone Pre-amp
UA LA-610 Microphone Pre-amp and Compressor
UA Teletronix LA2A Compressor/ Limiter
Behringer ADA 8000
*** Specialties ***
Using music, writing and voice as a means of expressing yourself, growing as a performance artist, coping in challenging times, as well as a means of going professional and earning income are all areas I specialize in. Utilizing proper technique and learning how to sing / speak safely is also an area I focus on a great deal.
Learning precisely what each student wants is the key factor in my decision on how to achieve their goals. For example, using Speech Level Singing is definitely entrenched in my teaching, but I may not highlight it as much for those who want a more classical sound.
I excel with the following: first timers, very young kids, students working through stage fright, artists looking to develop their own original project, those seeking growth in their process of writing / recording / performing, those who are interested in using music and / or writing as therapy as well as with amateurs who've always wanted to do something musical but who think they are "too old" or too "untalented/short/tall/ fill in the blank" to try. I believe we all have something to say with our lives - finding the voice within you can be an incredibly powerful and transformative experience!
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
· Singing · In studio Danielle brought a singer out in our daughter we had no idea was there. My daughter is incredibly shy but with Danielle's wonderful instruction & guidance she grew so much. She is a incredible instructor & person & would highly recommend her.
· Singing · In home I'm going to have to due two reviews because Danielle deserves 8 stars! She is fabulous and caring and patient and professional and takes such an interest in all her students. My 13 year old, who is ADHD, has been taking singing lessons from Danielle for over 5 years. She has been so patient and calm and so encouraging to my child, even when I could pull my hair out, she encourages her to take her time and will go over and over every note again and again until she gets it right. When things have been tough for my sweet 13 year old, Danielle helps her express herself through her singing and encouragement. My quiet, shy , and sweet girl has come out of her shell and is so self assured now. She loves Danielle and looks forward to every lesson. I am so grateful for Danielle!
· Music Performance · Wonderfully engaging, extremely intuitive and nurturing, Danielle has been a game-changer for me and my creative career. She listens well to your needs as a student and focuses on the root of the matter. She is truly a genuine soul and there is no doubt she cares tremendously about each and every one of us, as her students. She not only focuses on techniques and style, but also on how to grow and expand your career as an artist. I have found this to be immensely valuable as an creative and would recommend her in a heartbeat to anyone wanting to grow and engage a wider audience.
· Singing · In studio As an adult trying to learn how to sing, I was very nervous and didn't know what to expect. Danielle not only makes me feel comfortable enough to sing, her lessons are also boosting my confidence in other areas of my life. Danielle gives clear directions, is supportive, and really tailors the lessons to my needs. Overall, I'm so happy to have found Danielle and am so grateful to be taking lessons with her. I completely recommend her as an instructor.
· Singing · In studio Wow, if I could give more stars I would. Danielle's lessons are life-changing- she has helped me tap into my creativity, self-confidence and free expression. This spills over into all parts of my life and at work, and helps with things like public speaking and communication. She is inspiring, charismatic and fun and gives clear direction and exercises that are easy to remember and practice. She has so much experience in the music industry, is an extremely talented singer, and a wonderful person- all in all a total joy to work with. I would highly recommend Danielle if you want to improve your singing/song writing, tap into your creative potential and build your authenticity and confidence.
· Singing · In studio Warm, intelligent, thoughtful, vivacious, talented - Danielle is a natural teacher. I learned a lot with her and from her. I hope this will be a long and fruitful mentorship.
· Singing · In studio If there were ten stars available I'd rate Danielle 10 stars! She's a natural teacher--knowledgeable, patient, inspiring and clearly cares deeply about helping people be their best. Plus, she's got a great sense of humor and adds a touch playfulness to each lesson. And of course, she can sing like nobody's business!
· Singing · In studio I came to Danielle as someone who loved to sing as a child and had some natural ability but had kind of 'lost my voice' somewhere along my way into my 20s. Singing had become a heavy, loaded, personal thing that I felt scared of or very shy about. Danielle created a safe space and provided excellent guidance for me to get reacquainted with my own sound, my own voice, and it was a very powerful experience. Thank you Danielle!
· Songwriting · In studio Danielle is one of the most connected, in tune, emotionally intelligent individuals I've ever met. A truly gifted teacher and artist, she is the whole package! Absolutely priceless experience, would highly recommend these lessons to anyone looking to find his/her voice.
· Songwriting · Anything from singing to songwriting, Danielle is the epitome of a great instructor and mentor. I have taken voice/songwriting lessons from Danielle for over a year now and can truly say that she has helped me develop into the artist that I am today. One of the things that impresses me the most about Danielle is her ability to connect with and inspire her students. Aside from being an exceptional talent with decades of experience in the music industry, she is a passionate and charismatic teacher that is certain to bring out the best in her students.