- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Colleen is a Grammy award winning recording artist and professional singer. She has been teaching and performing for over 15 years, training singers of all ages and ability levels.
Colleen has taught students of all ages and abilities. While teaching elementary school, she led over 250 singers in school wide performances. While teaching middle school, her four choirs won multiple awards and gained a reputation for giving top quality performances. While teaching high school she led a district wide masterwork performance that featured singers from three high school choirs, accompanied by a full orchestra. Her top high school choirs toured California and won best overall at the California Music Educators conference. Her adult students have gone on to great heights, winning recording contracts, lead roles and awards. Her students have won movie rolls, singing competitions and some have even become YouTube viral sensations.
Classical technique: Colleen has studied classical technique under Sherri Greenawald, the Grammy winning Artistic Director of the San Francisco Opera.
Contemporary technique: Colleen has studied with some of the top voice teachers in the music industry. She studies directly from Linda Septien, a legend in the music industry. Linda is ranked as one of the top 5 talent coaches in the world. Some of Linda's students include: Beyonce, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Ryan Cabrera and Hunter Parish and more. She is an adviser for American Idol, The Voice and America's Got Talent. Colleen continues to pass on Linda's stellar methods to her students.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Voice lessons consist of a tailored curriculum created specifically for each student, targeting areas that will have the most impact for each individual artist. Learn to expand your range, using your diaphragm properly; learn scatting, breathing techniques, belt, mixed voice and head voice. Learn how to add texture and style to your performance.
Great entertaining is also about presentation, visual energy and staging. Learn how to be an all around entertainer through timed movement, staging and story telling.
YOUR FIRST LESSONS
Lessons can be booked by clicking the green "continue" button. Want to talk first? Click the "Ask A Question" button at the top of your screen.
It would be great if you could come to the first lesson with a song you can perform, one you can sing either on your own without music or using a karaoke track from YouTube.
Member of the award-winning a cappella group Prime Time. Performing both nationally and internationally.
I've loved teaching for years. Watching a student grow and discover their talent brings me a deep joy and fulfillment. I put my whole heart into my students.
Singing with the San Francisco Symphony has been a life changing experience, including winning three grammy awards.
Experience in teaching ages 5-10. Vocal music, instrumental music and music theory.
Performing and recording world premiers and choral classics.
Had a great time teaching middle school students. I gain expertise in work with ages 11-13. I am experienced in teaching prepubescent or developing voices and boys changing voices.
A great experience of teaching students ages 14-18. We won top ratings with ACDA and CMEA as well as regional competitions.
Lead rehearsals for Prospect High Schools annual musical. Help teach leads their parts and taught non-singers how to sing in four part harmony.
An American labor union that represents 8,000 current and retired opera singers, ballet and other dancers, opera directors, backstage production personnel at opera and dance companies, and figure skaters.
National Association for Music Education (NAfME), among the world’s largest arts education organizations, is the only association that addresses all aspects of music education. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers. The Association orchestrates success for millions of students nationwide and has supported music educators at all teaching levels for more than a century.
Since 1907, NAfME has worked to ensure that every student has access to a well-balanced, comprehensive, and high-quality program of music instruction taught by qualified teachers.
Founded in 1959, the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) is a nonprofit music-education organization whose expressed purposes outline the associations dedication to the advancement of choral music. The mission of ACDA is to inspire excellence in choral music through education, performance, composition, and advocacy.
· Singing · In studio I love Ms. Colleen! She is so nice and she really helped me with my audition. I can match pitch better and she helped me move more and I sound much better!
· Vocal Training · In studio My son is 9 and Colleen has been seeing him once a week. She has him on a program where he sings everyday with homework. She has a professional recording studio in her home and records exercises that she sends my son home with. She is a very good teacher. She is clear and kind and always has something new to do.
· Singing · Online I started working with Colleen to learn American songs. I sing folk and traditional songs and I wanted to learn some fun pop songs. I've never sung pop or belt style before and she had me singing correctly in 10 minutes. She is so sweet and knowledgeable. I continue to take lessons with her and I recommend you do too!
· Broadway Singing · In studio My name is Keisha M. and Colleen Mahal is my teacher. She really helps me try to sing. I get to meet with her by myself because my mom makes me nervous to watch me. She makes me feel comfortable and keeps me on task. She knows how to make me my best. Sometimes, I am very scared to sing in front of others because my twin sister is so good. Colleen never makes me feel bad and makes me sound good every time. I look forward to seeing her every week. I think she’s great!
You should get her to be your teacher too.
· Broadway Singing · In studio My name is Katie M. and Colleen is my vocal teacher. My mommy says that I am creative and have perfect pitch. Colleen is always nice to me and makes me laugh. She teaches me how to sing better. I think that she would be a good teacher for you too. I love going to see her every week and learning something new. She really helps me a lot. I really recommend her.
Child Star … LOL
· Broadway Singing · In studio To Whom It May Concern:
Colleen Mahal has been teaching my children for a few months, starting this year. I got her contact information from an “Education Night” through their theater group – Children’s Musical Theater (“CMT”) of San Jose, CA. When I met her she was very personable, knowledgeable, reasonably priced and flexible work schedule.
She teaches both of my daughters and is absolutely AMAZING! I have no experience with vocal coaches; but, to me she is worth every penny that we spend! When we come for our lessons, she is always ready with something to offer and incredibly professional. She keeps to our time, to the minute, and gets a lot accomplished in our timeframe.
I have one daughter with significant talent; yet, she always finds something that will enhance her voice. My other daughter has stage fright and will sometimes sort of mumble through her songs. When she applies herself she can even sound good with Colleen’s tutelage. She has even improved their performances during the four auditions a year that my girls have to do for their theater group.
I am very thankful for Colleen and would highly recommend her for vocal lessons. Additionally, I have verbally recommended her to CMT personnel and parents that I interact with. I talk about how amazing she is ALL THE TIME! Any student would do well if given the opportunity to work with her. She gets an EXCELLENT rating in my book.
· Singing · In home My 10 year old daughter has been working with Colleen for over 6 months. Colleen has a great way with her and my shy daughter is slowly gaining confidence as she learns how to use her voice and grows into her stage presence/persona. Colleen is extremely qualified in her area of work. I highly recommend her.
· Singing · In studio From the first lesson, she taught me a lot more about my voice that I didn't notice before. She is a really awesome teacher!