- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Males 12 and up
On singing and performing: I've been a musician for a very long time and can testify that music heals on a mind, body, and soul level! Though my official performances in front of audiences started with playing woodwind instruments such as clarinet, sax, and flute from elementary school through high school in band, and simple piano accompaniment for my small singing groups, my primary instrument in earnest has been voice for the past 32 years.
However, my Mom told me that I have actually been singing--well, humming (a recognizable tune at that!)-- since I was nine months old. I've lead numerous solos in small ensembles and large choirs over the years, and was very involved not only with the adult music ministry at my church, but directed the children's choir as well. I'm a huge fan of arranging and creating harmonies for duets, trios, and small groups. I’ve shared the stage with Erykah Badu, Ruben Studdard, Rickey Dillard, Chrisette Michele, Ledisi, Peabo Bryson, and CeCe Winans.
I love musical theater, and my favorite credit has to have been when I played the role of "Mama" in Once on This Island (though Nunsense runs a very close second!).
I have a strong passion for the arts--music in particular, and have the musical talent and enthusiasm to guide, empower, and improve the vocal tone, agility, flexibility, projection, and pitch for the willing student. The ideal student will already be able to match pitch, however.
*** Music Lesson Details ***
Every student is different--diversity is the spice of life! I tend to tailor my teaching style to the needs of the student. I do expect each student to work on their craft outside of "class" (even if it's just 10-15 minutes of practice a day) and come eager to learn. My teaching style is a co-creative process when it comes to helping students reach their goals. My demeanor is gentle and humor-filled, yet firm. Whether you're preparing for an audition (with all the mental, emotional, and physical energy and health that goes into it), want to hone your harmonizing skills, or just want to strengthen what's already inside of you to the next level for fun, I can help!
It's very important for my students to have a lot of fun as they are singing into their power and gaining more confidence not only in their vocal tone, projection and pitch, but in life as a whole!
*** Specialties ***
My specialties are gospel, pop, R&B, vocal harmonies in small and large groups, and jazz, though I have been classically trained by some of the best vocal coaches over the years.
On piano: Vocalists have asked me over time to teach them the basics on piano to help them read music and accompany themselves by knowing the correct chords. It's a non-traditional approach that combines piano books appropriate for the situation as well as creative ways to play contemporary tunes simply by knowing the chord progressions. So the students learn music theory and harmony in the context of piano that can be applied vocally as well.
On being an economist: Economics has been my trade and training since 1993. I've been an analyst at the Florida Legislature as well as consulted in the private sector, but my first love has always been teaching. I've been teaching the intro to micro- and macroeconomic classes consistently since the beginning of 2007 at Southern Methodist University. The algebra comes up a lot in these classes, so I've often ended up tutoring students one one in algebra as well. I was thrilled when TakeLessons added academic tutoring to their offerings in addition to music lessons. :)
***Economics and Algebra Lesson Details***
My students range in varying analytical and mathematical ability, so I meet them where they are when they come to office hours. Sometimes it just takes creating something concrete and practical from something that appears to be quite abstract. Sometimes it's catching up on the math. My approach is the same for any one-on-one endeavor outside the classroom. My goal is for each of my students to succeed!
Preparing and conducting lectures; creating syllabi; writing and grading exams and assignments for the Introduction to Macroeconomics, Introduction to Microeconomics, and Intermediate Microeconomics courses, giving students practical tools to use in academia and in life.
· Singing · In home She's very patient and friendly. Knowledgeable and good listener
· Singing · In home I have enjoyed my time with Carol. Awesome teacher. Very encouraging when it comes to pushing you to your best.
· Singing · In home Awesome teacher. We are pleased so far
· Singing · In studio I really enjoyed my lesson with Carol. She is very knowledgeable and encouraging. I look forward to my next lesson
· Singing · In studio Today in my new vocal class I had a lot fun. I learned a lot of fun and crazy vocal and pronunciation exercises. I look forward to my next class and to learn more.
· Gospel Singing · In home I really enjoyed my session with Carol. She is extremely knowledgeable and exceptionally kind. She is professional and she knows her craft. She is also very encouraging. We covered a lot of ground per session. I look forward to continuing to work with Carol.
· Singing · In studio My first lesson was a wonderful experience and Mrs. Carol she's definitely A five star.
· Singing · In studio Carol was a great teacher for my daughter. She is 15 and was brand new when she started. She was very patient and encouraging with her teaching style which helped my daughter have a great experience. On top of that she was flexible with the material and was open to helping students learn songs they actually wanted to learn. I would highly recommend her to everyone!
· Singing · In studio Ms. Carol has a very enticing spirit that makes a person want to get to know her as a friend as well as a teacher. I really enjoyed my lessons with her.
· Singing · In home Carol is a really great instructor and really helped my daughter improve! She is very patient and kind and my daughter can't wait to see her again. We highly recommend her to all that are interested in singing.