- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- September 1992
Brian is so excited to be beginning this part of his journey to offer private coaching!!! Graduating with a BA in Communications Arts with a concentration in Theatre from Bridgewater State University in 1991, Brian launched into professional acting. Between shows Brian volunteered at a small Catholic school in Milton, MA developing and implementing a theatre program for their middle school students. It was there that he discovered his passion for education. He was hired full-time and remained for the next 4 years. This formative experience allowed Brian to witness the transformative role the performing arts have in helping students of all ages achieve new heights in their journey! He went on to teach theatre for the Waltham and Holliston Schools and has accumulated directorial credits for over 50 productions. Brian holds a Masters in Educational Leadership from Bridgewater State University and is certified as a teacher of Theatre Arts & Communications.+ Read More
• Developing and implementing a vision for the arts through the selection of curricular materials, the identification of plays and musicals to be produced, of artwork to be exhibited, and of culinary events to be held.
• Advocate for and assist in sustaining a school culture that championed student success.
• Serve as primary evaluator for all arts faculty and staff through the RIDE Evaluation System.
• Serve as acting principal for Founders Academy
• Responsible for supporting the attributes of a Professional Learning Community including developing collaborative departmental practices and programs that improve student learning and support school goals, including providing support for professional development for all arts faculty.
• Manage Review and assess senior arts portfolios and all arts components of portfolios from grades 9 through 12.
• Plan and implement student art exhibitions within and outside of the school.
• Oversee all arts related extra-curricular programming
• Responsible for all aspects of instruction to high school students including the development and implementation of a complete theatre arts curriculum.
• Classes developed and implemented included: Theatre Woprkshop, Director’s Workshop, Stagecraft & Design, Performance for the Here & Now, Cinematography, Effecvtive Communication: The Art of Public Speaking
• Administrated a comprehensive extra curricular theatre program throughout the school year putting on four multifaceted productions involving over 200 students.
• Responsible for all aspects of instruction to grades Kindergarten through High School.
• Developed and introduced a comprehensive drama curriculum with the goal to enhance students’ creativity and problem solving abilities leading them to become more effective critical thinkers and lifelong learners.
• Worked collaboratively with all school staff and administration to support instructional innovation.
He is a great instructor, very informative and comfortable to be around. I am excited for future lessons with Brian!
Brian Hickey was my high school drama instructor for 4 years and if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be pursing a theatre career. His training made me a more confident actress, and his faith in me made me a more confident person. He taught me to lend myself to the story, to be a generous actress and to make bold choices. I highly recommend this incredible teacher!+ Read More
Mr. Hickey is simply incredible. I wouldn't be in the musical theatre program I'm in at college if I didn't study with him for four years. I learned so much useful skills and the level he taught at for my education level pushed us students at the right speed and difficulty. So thank you.+ Read More
Brian Hickey has had an extremely large influence on my growth and improvement as an actor. I've taken multiple classes with him and have also been a part of many of his productions in high school, and I can honestly say that I would not be nearly as invested in my theatrical career as I am now if I had never had the wonderful oportunity to work with him. Because of him, I have learned to look beyond the text of a script into the mind and the past of each character I have portrayed on the stage. I believe the best summary of his work as an instructor lies in his motto, "Theater for the sake of theater." I hope I have the opportunity to work with him again in the future, and I would highly recommend him to anyone who is interested in working with an acting instructor.+ Read More
Mr Hickey was my high school director for 2 years and I was in 7 shows directed by him. He taught me so many things about theatre and acting, and inspired me to continue with performing arts in college. He was also a great mentor, I learned many positive things from him and will always remember the great tips he gave me as I am beginning my time in college. His directing was phenomal, and the shows always came out great thanks to him. To anyone that encounters Mr Hickey, I assure you he will be a great director/mentor and help you with anything you need.+ Read More
Brian Hickey was my highschool director. Although I was only with him for a year, I learned countless things from him. He made me 100% more confident in my acting and in myself. He challenged me so much which made me a better actress overall. He gave me positive and constructive feedback. He also taught me in school in a class about Cinematography. He challenged me and my peers to make our own silent film that, to this day, is one of the things that I most proud of. I have learned so much from Brian Hickey. I have never had a better director/ mentor and I'm beyond grateful for my experience with him!+ Read More